PDA

View Full Version : Need car seat alternative

lizt
02-28-2008, 05:52 PM
Hi,
I will be traveling to Europe in 2 months with my 1.5 yo DD. We won't be renting a car and basically relying on public transportation and taxis. We'll be in a big city with a lot of traffic, where you really need to be quick getting on and off a taxi. Carrying around a bulky car seat and installing it is out of question.
When we went over there earlier when she was an infant, I had the infant car seat and would just secure it with the back seat belt. It is not that simple with the large car seat.
I'm looking for alternatives. Maybe something that attaches to my own seat belt when I carry her on my lap. Or some really simple/lightweight harness that I can easily attach to the seat belt. I appreciate any ideas.

Also, we have long flight (10+ hrs). Any ideas on how to entertain a 1.5 yo during the flight?

Thanks a lot.

californiagirl
02-28-2008, 08:58 PM
You'll probably do better posting in the car seat forum, but I'm afraid I don't know any great alternatives for this age range. Attaching a baby to your seat belt is very, very unsafe. So unsafe that you would be better off just holding the baby.

There are vest devices for this age range, but they don't review well. I think a lightweight seat is your best option. Cabbies most places do cope, although they may charge you for the wait time and/or be baffled at strange foreign customs.

Oh, and my list of what I pack for long flights is at http://www.otoh.org/xwiki/bin/view/Elizabeth/PackingCarryOn

Tondi G
02-29-2008, 06:14 PM
http://www.travelingwithkids.com/proddetail.php?prod=366&cat=553

californiagirl
02-29-2008, 07:08 PM
I love the RideSafer and use it for DD -- but she didn't grow into it until over 3, and she's big. Small is rated for 3 years and 35 pounds, minimum.

kozachka
03-08-2008, 07:00 PM
I researched this issue extensively 2.5 years ago when we were moving to Europe and there were no safe and easy alternatives to a car seat. From what I understand the status quo remained. I think it has to do with mechanics of protecting a tiny body in a potential accident. You need a car seat for that. So for cabs you can either use a car seat or nothing. It's your call as a parent. Public transportation (bus, metro) is safer than taxis without a car seat and DS loves taking a 'train' or bus.

schums
03-08-2008, 11:40 PM
How big is your DD? If she's little, she might still fit in a Safeseat (goes to 30 pounds, not sure of height). That would make it easier to get in and out of taxis, since it installs like an infant seat.

GL!