PDA

View Full Version : stupid work people

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
03-01-2008, 12:46 AM
I recently took a new (FT job), 6 months ago. Well, one if my indirect staff (I'm not his direct supervisor, but he works on a program that I'm in charge of) acts like a petulent little kid.

I called a meeting to brainstorm, and the other 4 people show up, when I go rounding people up (hello, it's 10:00, time for the meeting to start), he tells me "I'm not coming" and walks away. I'm like WTF? My boss had to go after him and threaten him with consequences.

So now I need to write up this stupid person. Why do people feel like they can act like this at work? C'mon, we're supposed to all be adults here!

I have kids, and they don't even act this badly!

I want to quit.

MamaMolly
03-01-2008, 09:36 PM
Ugh! Twerp. What a brat! Did he give any reason for why he wasn't coming?

katydid1971
03-01-2008, 10:27 PM
There was a thing about the generation that is getting out of college right now on 60 minutes a few months ago. They described them as feeling entitled to everything because they grew up in a very touchy feely everyone wins environment. Sounds like you've got one of these kids. Hope things turn around for you.

ShanaMama
03-02-2008, 12:15 AM
I know how frustrating it is to have uncooperative people working for you. I manage about 5 people who are all young and inexperienced. Few of them have a strong work ethic. I get so frustrated sometimes dealing with their atitudes. Especially since they're all female (as am I) :) I sometimes feel they just push my buttons. When I complain to my boss (rarely) he says they do the same thing to him. But of course he's unwilling to take any disciplinary action. And btw- no they don't do the same thing to him. He's the BOSS after all.
Hope things get a little better after you write up this guy.

ThreeofUs
03-02-2008, 01:31 AM
Whew! That's way-over-the-line unacceptable! What on earth was he trying to do?! Is there some off chance he was trying to anger/frustrate you specifically - that is, do you think it was intentional in some way?

Sure is a pain to write people up, but this one sounds like he needs a full dose of "acceptable behavior in the workplace" training.

kcandz
03-02-2008, 01:24 PM
Interesting. I might see if I can find that online. I recently let go of an employee who was nice enough, but had a sense of entitlement about the position without actually doing the job. I was taken aback by the assumption of this individual that he/she expected to be so coddled in a professional environment.

katydid1971
03-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Interesting. I might see if I can find that online. I recently let go of an employee who was nice enough, but had a sense of entitlement about the position without actually doing the job. I was taken aback by the assumption of this individual that he/she expected to be so coddled in a professional environment.

Here's a link.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/08/60minutes/main3475200.shtml

maestramommy
03-02-2008, 06:21 PM
Here's a link.
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/08/60minutes/main3475200.shtml

Okay, just read that article, and I'm not sure whether to :ROTFLMAO: or throw up.

Ceepa
03-02-2008, 07:09 PM
OMG. That article made me cringe.

MontrealMum
03-02-2008, 09:13 PM
I saw this on a newsmagazine a while ago and it really rang true for me. I recently went back to school for another grad degree and some of my classmates are of this generation. Many, though by no means all, of them are extremely self-centered, but not too self-aware (actually some are really great - but others...ack!). It has made the group work required by my program an absolute h*** at times.

Reading the article made me laugh when they mentioned the "multitasking". IMO multitasking is not a laudatory skill when it means that you do many things at a time...and all of them badly. And that is what I have noticed as some of my classmates play computer games and shop online on their laptops during lecture ... then turn to me and ask what the prof just said...or try to read my handwritten notes. Excuse me? Sure, I'll be helpful, and lend notes...but not if you can't be bothered to at least be courteous and pay attention. And this is just grad school, I shudder to think about some of these people when they hit the "real world"...which I guess is what you are dealing with.

My advice? Be strong...this type of behavior is not acceptable, and while someone like this guy you're dealing with may not appreciate it, it's a lesson he needs to learn.