PDA

View Full Version : Cloth diapering twins?

gatorsmom
03-01-2008, 02:36 AM
Is this a crazy concept? Will I be doing nothing but washing dirty diapers 24/7? I just feel so guilty because we use soooo many diapers. I'm sure that just these 2 babies are filling up an entire landfill! I have a bunch of cloth ones that I used with my first DC (not my second who has super sensitive skin), so it's not like I'd be starting from scratch.

Any thoughts? (I mean other than that I'm crazy)

edited to sound sorta sane.

AngelaS
03-01-2008, 07:21 AM
I don't have twins, but I cloth diapered one of my girls. ;) My theory was that even if I used cloth several days a week, it was better than not using them ever. I always tried to go for at least two days in a row so that I'd have a load at the end but even if I used them Monday and then again on Wednesday before washing the pail, it worked out okay. :)

WatchingThemGrow
03-01-2008, 08:18 AM
If you already have them, it wouldn't hurt to try. DH and IL's tried to talk me down from my recent urge to CD since we're flying though boxes of diapers in our house too. The one thing that finally got me off my campaign was the drought and Stage 3 water restrictions we're experiencing. I SO wanted to try out the BumGenius 3.0.

tylersmama
03-01-2008, 08:04 PM
I say go for it! What's the worst that could happen? You decide it's too much work and go back to sposies full time?

They're old enough now that they're not in the super-newborn-12-diapers-a-day phase. Yeah, it'll be a lot of diapers, but I bet you could probably get away with washing every other day or so.

I so feel your pain on the filling up a landfill thing. I feel that way everytime we go on vacation and use sposies, and I only have a singleton!

sarahbrown29
03-03-2008, 10:19 PM
I did it for my twins for about 4 months (7-11 months.) It was easier than trying to go out and buy diapers - I was always home, so I could always just do laundry! Unfortunately, I didn't have the $$ to spend on new diapers and the older ones I could find weren't fabulous. So we are going back to sposies!

la mama
06-10-2008, 10:54 PM
I was actually wondering the same thing. My twins will be my first so it will be more expensive at first, I'm guessing. My sister did it with her first and it worked great so I thought I would give it a try. It's nice to hear no one is saying it's completely crazy! Any suggestions on which are the best diapers and/or diaper covers? I have yet to check out some websites from the baby bargains book but wanted to get some other feedback.

caheinz
06-10-2008, 11:36 PM
We're planning to do it.

DS was cloth-only (excepting the original hospital stay) for at least his first 4 months. (He was cloth-only at home until we were only using 1/day at home, at which point it made no sense from a laundry point of view.) We did mostly prefolds, which are cheap and easy (especially after you get practice with a newborn!).

I'll need to ramp up our supply, but since we're not in a drought area at all at the moment, I can't imagine not trying!

Wife_and_mommy
06-10-2008, 11:49 PM
I like Angela's idea of occasional cloth diping. You'll save $$ on the sposies.

I'd drop the guilt about the landfill and do what you can.:)

abh5e8
07-01-2008, 09:47 PM
definatly go with Bum Genius one size pocket diapers. i use them on two babies and they are great. go on as easy as sposies and NEVER leak. they are adjustable from 8 - 35 lbs, so no need to buy more sizes. they wash and dry very quickly! they are an investment initially but we bought new just because the CS is wonderful and that way if they fall apart, we can have them replaced for free (jen is great!). we have 3 dozen for 2 babies full time in cloth and its plenty. i wash about 2 days a week (but always shake the poo in the toilet and keep them in the basement so no stink).

you can totally do it!! when we looked at the cost of sposies for 2, even with sales and generic sposies, we are saving a ton.

erintwins
07-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Has anyone tried gDiapers?

http://www.gdiapers.com/

We're expecting twins in a couple of months, and thought this would be a good compromise between cloth and disposable.

Melaine
07-23-2008, 10:32 AM
I really wanted to when I was pregnant, but once I found out it was twins, and then when they were early, I pretty much abandoned the idea. I was majorly guilty, but I just had to accept the fact that it wasn't possible for me. However, since these are not your first, and you've already had some experience cd'ing...I say go for it!!! You're in a much better boat than I was...good luck!

Melaine
07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Has anyone tried gDiapers?

http://www.gdiapers.com/

We're expecting twins in a couple of months, and thought this would be a good compromise between cloth and disposable.

I have looked at these and am really intrigued. Curious if anyone has experience with these, too?

JBaxter
07-23-2008, 10:51 AM
Not having twins but they still have that gel stuff in them that disposables do and if you have a newer toilet ( water saver) then you really have to stir them with the stick before youflush them or they clog your toilet.

Do some research on OneSize pocket diapers. They may do what you want.

tylersmama
07-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Actually, the gdiapers do not have the same gel stuff as disposables. They have some sort of wood pulp stuff that absorbs the liquid instead. But yeah, they definitely could clog a toilet. Heck, DS's poops alone clog up the toilet. Yesterday, he automatically went and got the plunger for me when I went to flush the poop out of his cloth diaper. ;)

cjcolorado
08-12-2008, 10:21 AM
My boys have been CD'ed since birth (they just turned 2) and it's been no problem at all. In fact, when my boys were born, my dd was still in diapers, so I had three in CD's at once. I'm thankful to not have had to buy all those sposies, too! We do occasionally use sposies at night or when traveling, though.
If your babies are a bit past the newborn stage, then one-size diapers are probably your best option. I prefer pocket-style diapers (Fuzzibunz, BumGenius, Rumparooz), but if you've already got some, then try those!
-Cindi
(Hannah 7/16/04)
(Eli & Sam 6/24/06)

sivan
08-13-2008, 02:03 PM
we use cloth on our twins. love em :)

fuzzi bunz are my favorite.