PDA

View Full Version : crib tents...experience?

MontrealMum
03-03-2008, 12:42 AM
I posted previously about finding extenders for the sides of DS' crib and noone had any suggestions. I did a little searching on the internet and wasn't able to come up with much either, except something called a "crib tent". It seems to be used to keep pets of the crib, but also to keep the baby in. We do not have pets, I am only concerned about DS climbing out on his own since he is a tall baby.

The reason my mind went to crib rail extenders is that this is what my parents installed on my crib when I was small after I climbed out a few times (and was still too young for a junior bed). Mind you, this was in the seventies, so I know things may have changed.

So here are my questions: do people use these crib tents for this purpose? If you've used one, do you like/dislike it? Is it a pain to unzip the thing to get at the baby? Are they safe? Does the baby like it, or do they feel too clausterphobic?

Just researching a few options before we actually need to do something.
TIA for any suggestions.

Momof3Labs
03-03-2008, 01:24 AM
I don't know what extenders you are talking about, but we use the crib tent to keep DS2 from climbing out (and used it with DS1 for almost 18 months). It did its job and kept them both safe. Both loved the tent and adjusted to it without batting an eye. The zipper is one more step but I wouldn't call it a pain - it's not like the 5 seconds to zip or unzip really affects how fast you can get the baby.

It has been one of the best baby purchases that we made.

TonFirst
03-03-2008, 11:09 AM
My Cozy Crib Tent II?

The best money I spent for anything in our nursery, hands-down. My very tall son started climbing out when he was 15 months old, but we knew he was way too young for a big-boy bed. The Crib tent was a lifesaver.

(Another benefit of the crib tent is that, if your child has a lovey, they can't pitch lovey to the floor with the intent of calling you in to rescue said lovey. Heh.)

o_mom
03-03-2008, 11:30 AM
We have a Crib Tent and a Crib Tent II. Love them, mostly. They don't interefere with getting them out at all. The II goes all the way around inside so they can't reach out at all. I think just the visual barrier is a big deterrent. With DS1 we used it when he was looking like he could climb out. For DS2 we started using it when they started sharing a room, more to keep DS1 from climbing IN.

On the cons, it is more of a pain to change sheets and our II developed a hole near a seam after about 9 mos use. I was able to repair it, but it was not under warranty at all.

MontrealMum
03-04-2008, 12:36 AM
Thanks for all the insight. Just one more question since I have a very curious, and persistant child. Did anyone ever have trouble with an infant trying to dismantle the crib tent while zipped inside? As in...being able to reach parts of it while standing and yanking on it until it breaks? It looks like this is really the way for us to go but I just want to be sure DS doesn't decide to "play" with it at night. He's very wiley. :)

dsptwinmom
03-10-2008, 11:13 PM
We have had the same crib tent on my son's crib for about 2 years! It has a couple of holes where he has been able to stick his arm through the mesh, but he has not been able to dismantle it. This was a life-saving purchase for us and I give it my wholehearted recommendation.