PDA

View Full Version : Easter basket toy ideas

KBecks
03-03-2008, 04:19 PM
I wasn't going to do any candy this year until some nuns were selling prepared baskets at church. OK, so I have one basket of candy.

Otherwise I want to do simple but useful gifts. Alek is 3, John is 1. I keep passing up playsilks, do you think they would get used? I don't know what sizes to get and they seem pricey but I've heard people love them, I don't really understand why or how they get played with.

I saw some toy boats that looked cute. I guess I'm looking for reasonably priced, quality toys or games that will definitely get used. Under $30-$40 per kid.

Thanks!

boolady
03-03-2008, 04:46 PM
DD is 16 mths., and we got her a set of playsilks for Christmas. She loves them. We use them in any number of ways, which I anticipate will grow as she gets older. Currently, she likes to take them from the tote we keep them in and fold and unfold/stack/replace them, uses them as blankets for her baby/herself when playing, plays peek-a-boo with them, runs around trailing them behind, dressup, etc. DH uses them to make her a "cape" when he "Supergirl"s her around the house, my b-i-l tied them all together yesterday, shoved them up his sleeve and had her pull on the end, ala amateur magic, etc. She loves to see me and or DH with them tied on our heads or around our wrists, etc. Endless possibilities.

I would think that with a 3 y/o and 1 y/o, they could find lots of things to do with them. I ordered ours from A Toy Garden based upon recs. from this site. HTH.

Ceepa
03-03-2008, 04:53 PM
Honestly, Karen, I don't get playsilks. My DC look at them like, "Yeah, OK it can float in the air when thrown and it can wrap around your body ... now what?" LMAO

They have plenty of blankets, towels, old scarves, etc. of varying sizes to use as they want around here.

Ceepa
03-03-2008, 05:04 PM
Forgot to add suggestions for the basket. We always throw in big chalk for using outside in the spring and seeds (we get started growing those inside before it warms up outdoors). Also bubbles are inexpensive and can be used inside and out. Bath toys. New socks. Art supplies from AC Moore or Michael's with 40% weekly coupons.

HTH!

ThreeofUs
03-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Kites and chalk! Our two favorite spring toys (always excepting balls...).

purpleeyes
03-03-2008, 05:11 PM
We are also doing small, quality toys this year...

DS: bubbles, 2 books (richard scarry firefighters and Lil' critter's easter) and one audio book (mike mulligan and the steam shovel) Wooden boats, wooden tea bags for the kitchen ( I am sick and tired of cleaning up actual tea from opened tea bags!), and a small T-ball set for outside. And probably chocolate chip annie's bunny crackers.

DD: easter touch and feel book, touch and feel ball from Magic Cabin, and some cute hair bow thingy.

Plus, my parents are awesome and are getting DS a fabulous wooden cash register, with play money. He's going to love it! :)

Looking forward to hearing some more ideas!

KBecks
03-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Books are always good. I'm realizing if I'm going to order online, I need to get this figured out SOON!!!! Please keep the ideas coming!

brittone2
03-03-2008, 05:51 PM
For playsilks, I think your kids would get a lot of use out of them at their ages. My DS liked his, but didn't get really into playing w/ them until he was more like 3. DD has loved silks since she was under a year old. They get a lot of use at our house. When I first bought them, I think I bought a rainbow for DS for bday or Christmas (when he was around 1 if I remember right). I saved the green one and used it for "Easter grass" in his basket. So you could just start w/ green and yellow for them. The silks get used here as grass for wooden animals to eat, baby blankets, doll slings, peek a boo, headscarves to play pirate, for dancing, for dollhouse doll bedding, etc. I think some kids might need some modeling of ways to use them if they aren't as accustomed to open-ended play materials, kwim? Another thing you could consider is picking up a rainbow and gifting all but the ones you would put in their baskets. Also, the PAAS type of dye pellets for egg dying works beautifully for playsilks! When the kits go on sale after Easter I usually buy a few packs for that purpose. You could also just buy some blanks from Dharma (35x35 prehemmed is nice...8mm is a good thickness), and dye a few and gift the extras to other people. Just a thought.

Here are things I've given or think about putting in baskets:
Cheddar bunnies (we put these in eggs for our egg hunt)
Graham cracker bunnies
Veggie bootie (in plastic eggs)
DS will probably get some good quality dark chocolate (he will eat the 70 or 85% dark stuff).
Good Earth Lollipops (haven't done this and you might want to avoid w/ a one year old around). These are still sugar but at least HFCS free, etc. No weird dyes.

Other non food ideas: (my kids aren't getting all of this by any stretch, but these are things I've done in the past or will do this year):

-sidewalk chalk (can get egg shaped ones a lot of places)
bubbles
-one of those ribbons tied to a stick...like they use in rhythmic gymnastics
-small wooden bunny (each kid is getting a Holztiger wooden bunny this year. I can always use this for Easter decor if they aren't played w/ that much). A lamb would be cute too.
-crayons, colored pencils (probably some Lyra Ferby pencils for DS this year), markers, playdoh, paint brush, stamp and non toxic ink pad or self inking stamper...any kind of art supply
-those bath capsules (the ones you put in warm water and a little sponge emerges in the shape of an animal, etc.). I see them at Michaels, etc. for about $1 a pack. Depending on how you do an egg hunt, etc. you can also stick these in eggs for an older DC, but obviously you wouldn't want a younger DC to eat them accidentally! One pack can go a long way. For some reason my DS loves these things :)
-I just picked up some of these little toys you stick in water and they grow pretty large...different than the sponge ones. Not sure how to explain them. DS is starting to get interested in Pirates, and they had a treasure chest and a pirate ship one, and then they also had stuff like a turtle, etc. $1 at Michaels.
-balsa wood airplane (about a buck at hobby or craft stores). This was a family tradition for us when I was a kid.
-seeds, small watering can, rainboots, small garden tools, kite...these all say spring to me :)
-stuff they'd need anyway...new pair of sandals for spring/summer, etc.
-sand bucket (someone said on a different thread they paint this w/ puff type paint and use as a basket), sand toys
-CD...music or oral story telling. Greathall has some really nice kid CDs. DS might get one of these in his basket.
-stickers or sticker book (AC Moore usually carries ones that are really small but they have tons of fun themes and are $1 per book)
-wooden train

DS and I will probably felt some wool balls for DD or make something felted for her. I've thought about making them little felted "root children" and putting the book Story of the Root Children in DS's basket.
http://www.threesisterstoys.com/p-291-the-story-of-the-root-children.aspx

Gerda Muller does beautiful picture books (no words) and the Spring one would be great for a one year old :) Sortfloorbooks is a good resource. I have good luck w/ 2nd hand (like new) boardbooks for DD that I stash away for things like Easter.

For the three year old, something fun like an ant farm, or a butterfly kit, or a ladybug kit could be a great gift in and of itself. I know my 4 year old really wants to do a project like this.

hth! I give DS quite a bit usually but that's just because I use it as an excuse to restock his art supplies and things he'd be getting anyway (with homeschooling we go through a ton of this stuff right now).

traciann
03-03-2008, 09:30 PM
I have already bought some things for dd's basket.

bubble wand
jumprope it was only 60cents at walmart!
easter egg chalk-i like this stuff better than the sticks
stuffed puppy
candy
and I think I will do a kite after reading these suggestions!

mytwoboys
03-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I decided to just get one "big" gift for each DS, a joint gift, and then a couple of small/candy items. I really dont' want to buy too much this year as I find that most of our toys don't get played with often.
Their "big" toys are a game for DS#1's leapster. We the Leapster for Christmas and he only has one game, but it's great to keep him occupied at restuarants when we go out. DS#2 is getting one of those large bubble making machines. He loves those it would be be great for outdoors. I want to find a joint big gift - some sort of outdoor toy, but they already have so much that I'm at a loss. I was thinking a water slide. DH gets them each a Godvia bunny and I'll fill many eggs with little treats and put those in as well.

KBecks
03-04-2008, 10:19 AM
this has been one of our favorite things around the house -- a big pack of finger paints.... I'd get one of these if we didn't already have it!

http://www.amazon.com/Elmers-Fantastic-Finger-Paint-Included/dp/B000UKMZYY

This is going to be one of my standard birthday party gifts.... unless it's too evil to give finger paints. :)

KBecks
03-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Beth, when you dye your own playsilks with the Paas do you do it on the stove? I am toying with trying but worry about color fastness and buying pre dyed is starting to sound more attractive..... but it may be fun. LMK.

brittone2
03-04-2008, 12:07 PM
I did do it on the stovetop. I've microwave dyed before and in some ways I think the stovetop was easier. It sounds harder than it is.

sdbc
03-04-2008, 05:59 PM
I second the idea of some flower seeds and pots. You can start them indoors then move them outside.

octmom
03-04-2008, 08:49 PM
My DS and DD both like Automoblox. We've got two large and three minis and they all get played with often. You can get a two-pack of minis at Target for ~$18, I think. You could put one car in each of their baskets.

KBecks
03-04-2008, 09:23 PM
The automoblox look interesting I'll look for them at Target, thanks! I purchased some Schleich rabbit figures on Ebay and am trying to win a Sodor Oil Depot for Alek's basket. I'm also thinking about coloring books and more crayons for John, as he enjoys coloring.

momto2boys
03-04-2008, 09:48 PM
Karen:

I'm not sure how much you want to spend on the oil depot but Learning Curve has it on their website for $14.99 plus shipping (6.95). That would be a pretty good deal if you could find a free shipping code. I also found it from Amazon with free super saving shipping or free 2-day shipping if you have Amazon Prime:

http://www.amazon.com/Thomas-Friends-Wooden-Railway-Sodor/dp/B00078ZGWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1204680821&sr=1-1

HTH,

Kathy

DS 1 - 01
DS 2 - 03
DS 3 - 06

KBecks
03-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the tip, I managed to get it on Ebay for $18 shipped. :)

Jen841
03-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Christmas stockings and Easter Baskets have a lot of the same stuff....

Bubbles, in the past they got bubble machines and the huge wand, so this year just those huge jugs... this will get us through most of the summer

Balloon tails refills
We have this (just really need the rocket not the whole kit) and I am going to get refills for the boys, excellent way to get kids to run around! We used these do much last year
http://learningexpress.com/childrens_toys/partNumber_TE2685/proj.html

Kites

Books

Snacks (Animal Crackers, Goldfish)

One keeps asking for Lucky Charms, so a box of those will be in his basket

Toothbrushes (give at all holidays, my way of updating what we have)

Bubblebath

Cars or balls of some sort

Maybe a video - 101 Dalmations and/or Letter Factory just b/c I want them for our collection and don't do random gifts

Normally we put in some sand toys, but we seem to have those coming out our ears right now

Game - again, I think we are ok right now until bdays etc.

Grandparents and DH... gift cards via the church fundraiser

brittone2
03-05-2008, 04:26 PM
I thought I'd add one more I thought of today...

For Easter baskets and Christmas stockings, I've often thrown in a pack or two of foaming bubble bath stuff. I buy Aura Cacia from Frontier or my local co-op. It is a buck or two a pack and we make each pack last for several baths. We have been using orange lately :) Inexpensive and fun, and my DS is usually excited when he gets this (I also keep a pack or so of the Eucalyptus one on hand to use when they get colds).

edited to fix typo

edited again to say I'm an idiot...I see the PP mentioned bubble bath. Doh!

jerigirl
03-05-2008, 05:42 PM
I ordered DS a set of the PlajaPets Minis from this site
http://tinyurl.com/2r4qsx to put in his Easter basket. They are so cute! They are smaller than a soda can and can fit in my diaper bag to take on the go. (Can you tell that I have already taken them out and played with them???) I also got a few board books and some Annie's Bunnies crackers and stickers to go with the Minis.

Ceepa
03-06-2008, 01:03 PM
From what I can tell these are tiny as they are dollhouse accessories. So not recommended for children younger than 3 yo, but for those who have a dollhouse, this bunny set from Selecta could be cute in an Easter basket:

http://www.blueberryforest.com/images/images-selecta/selecta-dollhouse-miniatures-bunny-rabbit-hasen-set-350.jpg

http://www.blueberryforest.com/doll-house-stable-toys/selecta-doll-house-dollhouse-furniture.htm

MMMommy
03-06-2008, 03:38 PM
We're putting Photokinz in DD1 and DD2's Easter baskets. Someone had posted in the bargains forum about Photokinz being on clearance at Target for under $15. With the Target Toy coupon, you get $5 off if you spend $25 or more. So I bought two and got $5 off! They are so cute. Stuffed animals with a digital picture frame in the center. Holds 50 photos, I think. Comes in penguin, monkey, tiger, frog, and cow. Very cute!

Here is a link--

http://www.squidoo.com/photokinz

Also putting the usual plastic eggs, chocolate and jelly beans in the baskets too.

Bean606
03-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Here is what DS is getting:

A Sandra Boynton book
Two pull-back cars
Chalk
Do-A-Dot Paint
Foam Bath Stickers for the Tub
Egg-shaped maracas

He is 21 months old. I have a feeling he'll be getting candy from the grandparents, despite instructions, so I am steering clear, although I may put some decorated butter cookies in there at the last minute if I have time to make them.

1964pandora
03-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Karen, I resisted playsilks for the longest time. I was a total playsilks skeptic. I just didn't think my boys would like them. I thought I'd feel like an idiot for buying yet another crazy thing that didn't get used. I finally broke down and bought them in a co-op, and they get played with all the time. My boys are ages 3 and 22 months. They love having me tie them around their heads, waists and shoulders. They love having me tie two together so they can both hold onto it like a rope and walk around the house pulling each other along. I think they'll continue to get even more use as the boys do even more imaginative play along as the boys begin to understand things like superheros, knights, etc.

Susan

s_gosney
03-06-2008, 06:08 PM
just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you throwing that out there. DD always wants the fun bath stuff she sees at stores, but I can't let her have it b/c of her eczema. I always figured there had to be options out there, but never got around to looking. I'll look into the brand that you mentioned.

Thanks!
Sherri
dd 10/03
ds edd 05/08

bnme
03-06-2008, 08:33 PM
For 3 & 5 yo boys:
markers
side walk chalk with holder
flashing lights bounce balls
high bounce balls with frogs inside
gardening gloves
hand-held gardening rakes
thermos funtainer
hockey balls
I always buy Lindt small bunnies, bugs, and the carrot lollipops
probably some 'junky' easter theme toys like wind-ups, stampers, small stuffed animal

We also give some larger gifts, just spring stuff we would buy anyway. Baseball bases (they already have bats/tee/mitt etc), kiddie rake & broom, and thinking about rolller skates or something else.

Also looking for magic trick toys.

Also hide about a dozen 'eggs' filled with stickers, tattoos, coins.

KBecks
03-08-2008, 05:16 PM
I just went to Target (which was exciting in itself because I have been stuck w/o a car for a week) and finished getting ready for Easter. I found the Automoblox, thanks for that tip! I also bought playsilks from atoygarden this morning so I'm excited about those too. It was a good deal compared to other prices I had seen online. So Alek will get the oil depot for his trains and John will get the playsilks.

We got our Schleich bunnies in the mail and they are tinier than I remember, so I'm going to hide them in the Easter eggs, which is great instead of candy, and I'm going to put a few mini marshmallows in the other Eggs, but not many.

I busted our budget and had fun shopping, so I got them an Elefun game to share and a few books. I think that's it. I bought 2 more games for them but think I will hold them for rainy day surprises. Target had cute stuffed bunnies for $3 each that I also found irresistable. I almost got them coloring books too but found some self-restraint at the last minute. Target also had little bunny ear headbands for $1 but I decided not to do those. I did get pastel cookie sugars and an egg dye kit for home activities, if I'm feeling motivated later.

I am so excited to prepare their baskets! And I'm excited we're doing toys and not so much candy. We don't do a lot of toys outside of holidays so I'm justifying the fun I had shopping that way. :)

Thanks again for your ideas and input!!!

brittone2
03-09-2008, 02:04 PM
saw one today at World Market (DS wanted one) and I remembered we've put one in his basket in the past.

Thought I'd add it to this list since they can be fun and are inexpensive.

DrSally
03-09-2008, 09:52 PM
Pinwheel! That's a good idea. Do you think they have them at Walmart?

catpagmo
03-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Oooh! A pinwheel is another great idea! I will check World Market today.