PDA

View Full Version : Target baby registry is more hassle than convenience!

ewpmsw
03-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Since I started our baby registry at Target in January, it has been nothing but a hassle. It took multiple tries to get the registry up and activated. It was immediately deactivated, although I wasn't notified and Target couldn't give a reason when I called them. I and my shower guests have had difficulty getting it to recognize me as a registry holder on multiple occasions. People have told me they get the same message I get - No registry under my name or my husband's name. Three or four tries later, the registry recognizes our names. Sometimes, the items I've registered for do not show up. I discovered during one phone call that Target deactivates the registry immediately after the baby's due date passes. This isn't something noted when you sign up for the registry, but it's got to be a pain for people who don't deliver on their estimated due date and for people who'd like to shop for them after the baby arrives. Editing the due date to a later time in the registry works okay, except for the fact that guests who log in to the registry using the real birth month may have difficulty finding it. It's all very frustrating. The only reason I've kept the Target registry is that so many folks shop at Target when they're invited to a shower and it's too late to let folks know that I've switched to a different retailer.

elephantmeg
03-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I've heard so many horror stories about Target registries. I hope yours comes out OK. I opted to use walmart instead.

ewpmsw
03-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Thanks, I wish you better luck with Walmart!

klwa
03-04-2008, 07:46 AM
I had so many problems with Target's registry when we got married that there was no way I was going to register with them for DS. I was another one who registered at Walmart with no problems. A bonus was that Wally-world is much closer to most everyone in my family, and about the same distance away for DH's family.

ha98ed14
03-04-2008, 11:49 AM
I had so many problems with Target's registry when we got married that there was no way I was going to register with them for DS.

Me too! In fact, I had such a horrific time that I now do not shop at Target. I avoid it like the plague and only go there if there is something I cannot find at Wal-mart or something I know will be better quality, etc. Oh, and be sure you don't need to return it! We all know how that is.

For baby registry, I stuck with BRU, another necessary evil, as is Wal-mart in my opinion. My way of "justifying" my shopping at Wal-mart is that I only buy toiletry and household cleaning items there and never clotheing. I HATE what Wal-mart does to the business districts of small towns and independent retailers of the world, and their labor practices in foreign countries are equally bad. But I just don't have $8 to spend on face wash at Albertsons or CVS when I can get it at Wal-mart for $6.

dr mom
03-04-2008, 04:09 PM
If your family is internet-savvy, you might consider a site like www.myregistry.com. We used it for DS#2's baby shower (no way was I going back to Target or BRU after our horrible experiences with returns/errors for DS#1) and got generally positive feedback that it was fairly easy to use.

deborah_r
03-05-2008, 03:57 PM
When someone tells me they are registered at Target, I now buy a Target giftcard for them, or I buy something not on the registry. I fear for them the stress and frustration they are going to have to deal with, with the stories of duplicate purchases and hassle returns. Last weekend, I did this - I gave a popular baby board book and a Target giftcard.

I know I love to tear through Target with Giftcards burning a hole in my pocket, so I hope the people that receive them are happy with it too!