PDA

View Full Version : favorite riding toy?

Melarina
03-05-2008, 12:40 PM
What was your DC's favorite riding toy? We have a while till DD's first birthday, but I want to go ahead and look at options and deals over the next few months.

giavila
03-05-2008, 06:20 PM
We have the Rolling Pony by Radio Flyer. It is a huge hit! I thought long and hard about which one to get. I like that it's not plastic and that it is a little higher off the ground so it will last longer. My 1 1/2 year old and almost 4 year old fight over it all the time!

http://www.amazon.com/Radio-Flyer-315-Rolling-Pony/dp/B00004TXM5/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1204754558&sr=8-4

I know the Cozy Coupe is popular, but I think it's more for 18 months and up. Not sure though.. we don't own one.

We also have a Kettler trike with a push bar that they like to ride around the neighborhood in.

HTH!

katydid1971
03-05-2008, 06:53 PM
We ahve a radio flyer ride on car that my mom get when DS was about 1. He likes it but he plays in his cozy coupe EVERYDAY!!!! The cozy coupe was a PITA to put together but it is such a favorite around here. The radio flyer is only played with when otehr kids are around and we need more that one car. At on year you will be mostly pushing him in it but soon he will be getting in and out and pushing all by himself. I can't say enough good things about the cozy coupe!!!

nrp
03-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Based on the recommendation of lots of people, MIL got a wheely bug for DD for her 1st birthday. That was 3 months ago and she hasn't really gotten into it. It's the smaller one and rated for 18 mos to 3 yrs, so I'm hoping that when she gets a little bigger it will catch on. But, I know lots of people say their 1-yr-olds loved it. Mine just wasn't one of them.

That said, I would second the PP's recommendation of a cozy coupe. We don't have one but when DD is over at her friend's house she loves to ride in it.

MommytoEliana
03-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Well, I can't speak from experience yet, but we ordered the Parents Hog Wild Bicycle for DS's first birthday (this weekend--where does the time go?!). Should be arriving tomorrow. It looks adorable, and the reviews were almost all good. We liked that it is something he can use right away in the house but should work for outside this summer, too.

mommyapb
03-05-2008, 09:59 PM
We second the wheely bug.

HTH
Amelia

pb&j
03-05-2008, 10:57 PM
DS loooooooooves his Razor Scuttle Bug. http://www.amazon.com/Razor-Scuttle-Bug-Trike-Blue/dp/B000BXJ0FC

It's great, because it's lightweight and maneuverable. The handlebar actually turns the front wheel so he can steer. The wheels are good for indoor or outdoor use. It folds up for storage or travel. It's super cute!

August Mom
03-05-2008, 11:55 PM
DS loved the Chicco Play 'n Ride Train. I got it out for DD recently and he still got on and rode it and he's 5.5. LOL It is plastic, but I found it well constructed, it has activities (non-electronic) and the steering wheel actually turns the front wheels, so it maneuvers better than some that have fixed front wheels. Also, the seat lifts up and has storage underneath. DS *loved* this. He was always putting special treasures and things in there.

http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Play-N-Ride-Train/dp/B000034DOI

hellokitty
03-06-2008, 01:20 AM
DS loved the Chicco Play 'n Ride Train. I got it out for DD recently and he still got on and rode it and he's 5.5. LOL It is plastic, but I found it well constructed, it has activities (non-electronic) and the steering wheel actually turns the front wheels, so it maneuvers better than some that have fixed front wheels. Also, the seat lifts up and has storage underneath. DS *loved* this. He was always putting special treasures and things in there.

http://www.amazon.com/Chicco-Play-N-Ride-Train/dp/B000034DOI

We had a very similar chicco ride on, except it doesn't have the train front (my kids would have LOOOVED that) and my children also loved it. In fact, we had three ride ons, a little tikes and two chiccos and the chiccos have always been popular with my kids. The only thing that stinks is that I notice that the volume on the electronics on the chiccos is extremely loud. If loud, obnoxious, electronic toys grate on your nerves, you might want to avoid the chiccos. They are fun for the kids though, but might drive you (parents) crazy, lol. I actually removed the sound part of one of our chiccos, b/c it was annoying, but the ride on itself was great with all kinds of other toys that came with it.

Tondi G
03-06-2008, 01:50 AM
We had a very similar chicco ride on, except it doesn't have the train front (my kids would have LOOOVED that) and my children also loved it. In fact, we had three ride ons, a little tikes and two chiccos and the chiccos have always been popular with my kids. The only thing that stinks is that I notice that the volume on the electronics on the chiccos is extremely loud. If loud, obnoxious, electronic toys grate on your nerves, you might want to avoid the chiccos. They are fun for the kids though, but might drive you (parents) crazy, lol. I actually removed the sound part of one of our chiccos, b/c it was annoying, but the ride on itself was great with all kinds of other toys that came with it.

thats the beautiful thing about the train chicco... It doesn't make sounds or take batteries!

That said we had a cheesy firetruck push behind ride on from toys r us and our boys both loved it... and all the noise and lights it made!

Toys r us has a large section of ride ons... pick the theme you think your kiddo would like best! They all serve the same purpose! If you don't like lights and sounds then buy something without and don't let your kiddo choose!

~Tondi

August Mom
03-06-2008, 10:47 AM

No electronics on the Chicco Play 'n Ride Train. There are activities that make some sound, like a ball popper on the steering wheel, a squeaker on one side and a sort of clicking sound on the one gear shift. The child can also push from behind as well as ride it.

catpagmo
03-06-2008, 12:41 PM
I bought a Disney Winnie the Pooh ride on toy for my DD when she turned 1. She is now 2 yrs, and 2 mos and she still absolutely loves it! I got it from Toys R Us. I don't remember how much it was, but I'm fairly sure it wasn't very expensive. One word of advice, though....it has very annoying songs that DD loves to play over and over and over....

HTH!