PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy kites?

catpagmo
03-05-2008, 04:13 PM
I was reading the Easter toy thread and saw many people were buying kites as gifts. I think this is a great idea, but where do you get them? I'd love to get one for DD.

Thanks!

luvmypeanut
03-05-2008, 04:25 PM
Walmart has had them for some weeks. They had mini-kites in various characters (princess, thomas, cars, superheroes, nemo) for $5 and I put those in DS's goodie bags for his birthday party. They also have bigger kites and we usually keep a few in the back of the car. I've also bought kites at the dollar store and even the grocery store. Costco has really big and beautiful kites as well.

ETA: I was at TRU today and they have a bunch of kites too

bluestar2
03-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Costco has big fancy kites for $10. They have about 6-7 styles, including dragons and toucans. I saw some small character ones at Walgreen's yesterday for $3.99. I wish I could find a simple diamond shaped kite like the one I got years ago at the grocery store for $4. Just bright and colorful without characters or pictures and easy fly. It was the best kite but we lost a piece of the frame.

Globetrotter
03-05-2008, 08:51 PM
We have the Costco kite, a space shuttle. It is AWESOME and got a lot of attention at the beach over the weekend :)

Kris

Ceepa
03-05-2008, 09:03 PM
*gasp* A space shuttle kite? Must get one!

DrSally
03-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Aww, man, I was just at Costco yesterday and didn't see any kites (but I wasn't looking).

MamaKath
03-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Walmart here carries them all year. You can get the simple character ones which fly really easily and stay up easily for a couple dollars. They also have more elaborate ones as well. Costco and BJs carry big kites. They are typically less than $15 and gorgeous as well as being great quality.

I have a Costco one that is a turtle. Realize though that they can be much, much more difficult to fly. My kids and nieces and nephews all gave up last summer, letting the grown-ups fly the turtle and they flew Sponge-bob (about $3 at Walmart, lol). The turtle has to stay inflated to work, one twist in the wrong direction and it crashes. It also needs much more wind to stay up. Sponge-bob barely needs any. So while the kids all like watching the turtle, they prefered flying the cheapy.

HTH~

catpagmo
03-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm going to hit Walmart today to see what kind of kites I can find there.

Thanks again!

Globetrotter
03-06-2008, 02:48 PM
Yes, it's pretty cool! They didn't have trouble flying it the other day. I actually thought it was a bit too easy - part of the fun is keeping it up!
:)

*gasp* A space shuttle kite? Must get one!

MacMacMoo
03-07-2008, 01:48 PM
We bought our kites when we were on a trip to Kitty Hawk: http://www.kittyhawk.com/

We liked the parafoil kites because they iddn't require much wind or skill or much of anything. need lots of space though since it would go up up up

kijip
03-09-2008, 12:45 PM
We go to our local kite store. Best selection, best advice from sales people. Many cities have them. We did kites for Toby's last b-day. It was a ton of fun.

Jen841
03-09-2008, 09:29 PM
Space Shuttle ones and other, $9.99 I believe. Last year we gave Grandpa a Blue Angel one from Sams that works great.

Growing up the "bat" type ones were our favorite... $1.99 or so at Target.

MMMommy
03-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I saw some kites in the dollar spot section of Target today. Not sure if they were misplaced or if they were really $1.

catpagmo
03-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Well, I didn't see any kites at Walmart. But, I went to Target and found a basic Winnie the Pooh "bat" type kite for $2.99. I also saw a bunch of good stuff in the dollar section, but no kites. We'll see how it works out after Easter!

Thanks again!