PDA

View Full Version : Ski trip w/4 yr old

KrystalS
03-05-2008, 04:38 PM
We are going skiing, just for the weekend. I signed DD(4yo) up for ski lessons because I know theres no way I can teach her myself. Its an all day class, 9-330 so they serve lunch. I was just wondering what everyones experience is with ski school. DD is a very picky eater so if they were planning to serve something that she doesn't like then I want to take her lunch. I know she'll be starving from being so active so I want her to have something she'll eat. Has anyone had experience with how the instructors feel about parents seeing their child during the lesson?
DD is fairly athletic so I'm hoping she picks it up with just one lesson, is this being unrealistic? They have night skiing where we're going so I was hoping we could ski together as a family that night after her lesson. We also plan to ski on Sunday as well.

lfp2n
03-07-2008, 10:59 AM
well we just came back from skiing and it took my DD 2 halfday lessons to actually ski independently- like you could do a green because she could somewhat stop and turn. Our problem was that negotiating with her to go to ski school was very painful , the first day was screaming holding onto me which was pretty upsetting for both of us. I think ski schools vary a lot at 4, some take the kids out most of the time and others are like daycare with a couple of hours of skiing. I would say if she skis most of the day at skischool she will be too wasted to do night skiiing.

Good luck, HIH

Lucy DD 3/03

StantonHyde
03-14-2008, 10:07 PM
At 4 yo, she will need at least 2 days of lessons. Otherwise, you get the harness and ski with her between your legs. If this is just a vacation thing for you, put her in the lessons and nix skiing with her. Do NOT bring the lunch--pack one and send it with her. She will be way too wasted to ski at night and that would not work well anyway. You will be too wasted to ski at night :)

kcampbell
03-17-2008, 10:52 AM
skiing with a 3.5 year old. We did 5 days of ski school for DD and I would say it definately depends on the ski school/instructor. We really wanted her to learn to ski not just be in daycare, that said I was not that impressed with what they taught her. My husband has been skiing since he was 2.5 years old! We definately didn't want to teach her ourselves for several reasons. I think kids learn a lot from their peers and are more likely to be "whiny" with those they love! Good luck.