PDA

View Full Version : weaning cold turkey

bethie_73
03-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Has anyone done this. I have loved BF and so has DS. But at 2 years 1 month, I am ready to be done, DS not at all. It has been a wonderful relationship, and I don't regret doing it this long, but I am ready to move on. I have tried removing a feeding etc and nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any other advice?

TIA

Wife_and_mommy
03-06-2008, 02:28 PM
We're not weaned completely but I have drastically cut down how much I allow him to nurse. I can handle once or twice a day. There was one day last week that I went to bed and realized he hadn't nursed even once that day which is major for him.

I don't know how far you've gone with limit setting in nursing but if I'm not in the mood, I won't. Period. There have been tantrums but they're just part of growing up, imo. He knows I love to nurse him and also knows that sometimes I don't want to and he's learned to accept that. I started that around 18M, I think.

ETA: I wouldn't recommend going cold turkey. For one, I think it might be painful for you physically and probably emotionally for your ds.

egoldber
03-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I wouldn't wean cold turkey for your own health. That's a recipe for mastitis.

I would try to distract him at the time of the feeding you wish to drop. You may need to actually leave the house to do this.

bethie_73
03-06-2008, 09:53 PM
I actually didn't think of the physical reasons to not go cold turkey. I have not tried leaving the house, but I think DH and I will need to set up a more strict plan for weaning, its just so much harder when I am around him all day KWIM.