PDA

View Full Version : Are DH and I the only sane ones?

bethie_73
03-07-2008, 09:31 AM
I know this shouldn't bother me, but.... The ILs are coming to town (I get along pretty well with them, they are great with DS and respect all boundaries) over Easter, yeah. So I was talking with SIL yesterday and she and BIL are going out of town that weekend because ILs will be here to watch the dogs.... WTF??!!

Now I should say that the dogs are their babies and they will not kennel them, period. (ILs came to watch the dogs so SIL and BIL could go on a honeymoon). And the dogs are not trained, so I can't take DS over there (unless the dogs are in the bathroom the whole time or I carry him :( )

Does anyone else think this is crazy? I mean I'm not saying that ILs are coming just to see us and DS (the only grandchild so far), but doesn't this seem so self centered? or am I just to involved.

elephantmeg
03-07-2008, 09:38 AM
that is strange IMHO. So your parents/IL's are coming and you go away? Yeah.

octmom
03-07-2008, 09:46 AM
It's weird.

deborah_r
03-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah, using your parents as a dog-watching service does seem a bit much. How about sticking around and visiting with them? Strange.

My dog was my baby before kids, and I never hesitated to kennel him. Research a good kennel, visit and check out the conditions, and I do not see the problem. My dog actually liked going. Maybe they are just cheap?

kozachka
03-07-2008, 05:30 PM
I've had one of my parents come to be with our dog and paid for the airplane tickets and all expenses. We spent time together before and after the trip and were gone for couple weeks. Otherwise we did not travel. Our dog stayed in a kennel once for 3 or 4 days and did not take well to it. We did not attempt to do it since.

I would imagine your ILs will visit you and your DC since they don't need to be with dogs at all the times.

s7714
03-07-2008, 08:03 PM
It honestly doesn't seem that strange to me. Both us and my BIL's family will arrange things like that when we know my MIL is coming down to visit. Sometimes it's the only chance one or both of us have to get away for a day or two. (Granted our MIL will be watching our kids and not dogs, but like you said, some people's dogs are their babies!)

bethie_73
03-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I guess the reason I think it is odd is because the IL made plans to come and see all of us for a long weekend. We only see them about 3 times a year. Although I may be a little sensitive. We live 2 miles apart and we have seen BIL/SIL less then 10 times in the past year. I guess family doesn't mean the same thing to them.

Although I think its odd that my BIL and SIL won't board their dogs, I just keep my mouth shut :)

elizabethkott
03-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I guess the reason I think it is odd is because the IL made plans to come and see all of us for a long weekend. We only see them about 3 times a year. Although I may be a little sensitive. We live 2 miles apart and we have seen BIL/SIL less then 10 times in the past year. I guess family doesn't mean the same thing to them.

Although I think its odd that my BIL and SIL won't board their dogs, I just keep my mouth shut :)

Oh, see *that's* weird. The IL's makes plans to see ALL of you and then half of the ALL take off, leaving them on doggie duty? Weird. Hopefully the dogs are trained enough to be left alone in their house for a while so the you half of "all" can get some quality visiting time in!