PDA

View Full Version : Is he weaning?

deenass
03-07-2008, 12:42 PM
I wasn't prepared for DS to wean himself (DS1 would still be nurisng if it were up to him) - but DS2 is sdown to nursing 1x a day - he didn't miss the nursings I dropped at all and last night when I sat down with him to nurse before bed he put his head down on my shoulder and started sucking his thumb - I had to actively offer.

I'm pretty sure if I don't offer he won't ask - so do I take this opportunity and just wean?

At this point I think it means more to me than to him - I guess I'm just surprised by this turn of events!

psophia17
03-07-2008, 12:54 PM
How old is he? DS1 weaned at 10.5mos, I tried everything I could think of to get him to keep going, but he wanted no part of it.

DS2 (16mos) weaned over the weekend. He was down to less than 5 minutes of nursing before sleeps (2 naps & bedtime), and for his second nap on Saturday, he latched on, let go, shook his head no, put his arms behind his head, and went to sleep. At bedtime, I expected him to be ravenous, and instead when I offered, he got totally pissy and fussy, refused, and didn't calm down until I put myself away. Then he hugged me, gave me a kiss (he NEVER did that on his own before), babbled for a couple of minutes, and went to sleep in my arms. I haven't offered and he hasn't asked since, and it's been a week...so I chucked my nursing bras and I'm done. That is, unless we have more babies in the future...