PDA

View Full Version : What does "Festive" attire mean for an event at the Rainbow Room in NYC?

Twins2000
03-07-2008, 06:29 PM
What do I wear? I will be going to an event (A fundraiser) with my DH next week at the Rainbow Room in NYC. The invitation states "Festive" attire. What the heck should I wear? A cocktail dress? Help!!!!!!!!

Leslie

tnrnchick74
03-08-2008, 11:45 AM
Most of the occassions that I have been invited to that listed dress as "festive" were gay/lesbian/transgendered events and when they mean festive they mean FESTIVE! Sparkles, sequins, flashy, colors, bring out your best drag-show wear kinda stuff. I'm not sure what the specific event you have been invited to, but wear that fun slinky colorful number you've ALWAYS wanted to wear! No matter what, wear something that makes you feel good!

Twins2000
03-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the advice! This occasion is actually a fundraiser for the Babies Heart Fund, so I don't think it will involve too much dragshow wear. I went shopping today and picked up a little black dress which I think should fit the bill.

maylips
03-09-2008, 03:26 PM
You can't go wrong with a nice black dress. You may want to dress up the outfit with your jewelry a little.

I used to be an event planner in my previous life and I remember sitting around the office with my colleagues trying to think of ways to tell people to dress nicer than they would on Sundays without making them feel like it was a formal event. "Festive" fits that bill. I always felt sorry for the women -- men have it easy when it comes to what attire to wear without trying to interpret the code words on the invitation.

Have a great time!

tnrnchick74
03-09-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm glad you found something!

tylersmama
03-09-2008, 03:59 PM
You can't go wrong with a nice black dress. You may want to dress up the outfit with your jewelry a little.

I agree, try to "festive" it up a little with your accessories. Maybe some great sparkly shoes, a funky bag, or some eye-popping jewelry! Have a great time!