PDA

View Full Version : NYC area: Help me plan some day trips/overnighters

bnme
03-07-2008, 09:07 PM
We are not doing any big vacation this year so I am trying to plan some fun things that are mostly local for day trips or 1-2 nights. We live on Long Island and near the beach, so we will get plently of the ocean.

Other things I am thinking of:
-Sesame Place
-Hershey Park or Dutch Wonderland
-Great Adventure
-Bronx Zoo (CAN'T believe we haven't done yet!)
-Central Park Zoo
-Museum of Natural History & Planetarium
-Boston to visit my sister

If you have done any of these with kids and have any pointers I'd love to hear. I am at least somewhat familiar with all of these places but mostly pre-kids. Also, I'd love some other ideas. My boys will be 5.5 and almost 4 this summer.

pinkmomagain
03-07-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm on LI too! I've done a few of the things on your list...
- Sesame Place I did a long time ago with my two oldest girls. It was OK. I'm not big on water parks...and we didn't do any of the water activities. If your boys like Sesame, I'd definitely try it out...this summer especially because your boys are soon going to be too big for Sesame soon.
- Did Hershey a few years ago. As I recall, we all really liked this.
- Bronx Zoo we've been to several times but haven't been for a while. Lots of walking. You may want to bring a wagon so when the boys poop out they can catch a ride. Also could hold a cooler for drinks/snacks. It can be really hot in the summer. This is a great day out.
- Museum of Natural History. I'm sure your boys will like this. You can handpick the areas you think they'd have the most interest in. Haven't been to the planeterium.
I'm drawing a blank for more ideas...but you seem to have a good list so far....

uptooearly
03-08-2008, 12:21 AM
I grew up on LI here are some more ideas...

Strawberry picking in June on the N. Fork- we went every year growing up.

Splish Splash waterpark. I haven't been in ages, so I'm not sure if it would be worth the $$ for your kids ages.

Atlantis Aquarium in Riverhead - My sister had been a couple times with her kids and says it's great.

The Camden Aquarium in NJ is also really nice, and you could probably combine this with a trip to Sesame place since they are close to each other.

I think there is a Children's Museum in Bridgehampton. I haven't been there, but you could check out their website.

A side note about the Bronx Zoo. There are lots of trees, so it's nice and shady during the summer.

bnme
03-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Gina,
Thanks for the tip on the wagon at the zoo -that's a great ideas and good to know that they are allowed. I'm most excited about trying the museum with them -I was worried they may be too young.

uptooearly, We love Atlantis, we are not far from there and go often. And I love the Strawberry Festival! Haven't done it since DS's were too young to care. But they love pumkin & apple picking in the fall so that should be great, too.

Thanks for the tips!

lubdubdeb
03-08-2008, 10:14 PM
I haven't actually been there, but I am anxious to take my girls to the Liberty Science Center in NJ when we visit the area. We used to live in Manhattan and miss it. The Central Park zoo is also great if you are ever in Manhattan.

Bean606
03-08-2008, 10:18 PM
We are LIers as well. We are planning on taking DS to the Crayola Factory in Easton, PA during Spring Break. Also, I picked up a book titled Everything Family Guide to NYC, and had no idea how many things there are to do just in Central Park! We regularly go to the Bronx Zoo and the Botanical Gardens with DS. Also, the NY Science Center in Corona, Queens is awesome - I was there a long time ago without DS, and it was great. A really good day trip is to combine that with a visit to Louis Armstrong's house, if you have any interest in jazz at all - his house was amazing. Another thing we really enjoy is the Queens County Farm Museum and the LI Children's Museum. How about a minor league game with the Coney Island Mets or the Staten Island Yankees? The stadiums are so kid-friendly. If you are looking for an overnighter, I'd recommend New Paltz. They have a wonderful arts and crafts fair for Memorial Day Weekenda and Labor Day Weekend.

kochh2
03-09-2008, 10:08 AM
uptooearly, We love Atlantis, we are not far from there and go often. And I love the Strawberry Festival! Haven't done it since DS's were too young to care. But they love pumkin & apple picking in the fall so that should be great, too.

Thanks for the tips!

OOOH, another eastender?? We're here too!! It looks like we both have 3.5 year olds, too!! we have atlantis membeships, so we go all the time!! DH is taking the kids there today, in fact, so i can go see Nunsense with my mom at NFCT!!!

Where are you located?? We're in Matt.... for now!!

BTW< I can't wait for the warmer weather, all this talk of strawberries, festivals, beaches, delightful!!!!!don;t forget Greenport for a nice little village, big ships, and the carousel, even the ice rink int he winter!!

bnme
03-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Minor leauge games are great! We've been to see the Ducks in Islip. In fact my Dad just mentioned he was going to get us tickets again this year -the boys loved it last year but they were more into the atmosphere. This year I think they may enjoy the game a bit more.

I don't know if it's just my family, but the kids seem to really love hockey games (DH's family are way into and BIL plays for NYPD team). I think there is a lot of energy in the stands that the kids pick up on.

Holly, where are u located (Matt??)? We live in Mt. Sinai. My DH and I both have lived on LI our whole lives (well, I lived in the city a few years as a single girl!).

I haven't been to Greenport in a long time. I should look into it. Wasn't aware of the carosel or ice rink! I should also really get an Atlantis membership. We don't go too often because it is expensive, but I bet we probably end up spending more than the cost of the membership by going a few times and then we could go often.

kochh2
06-01-2011, 06:53 PM
bumping :) it's that time of the year, long islanders... i'm in manorville now, and loving the suggestions. we are hoping to head to hershey park this summer for the first time :) what are your fun plans for the summer??