PDA

View Full Version : Best outdoor "seating" for infant?

goldentwig
03-08-2008, 03:53 PM
I have a 3-mo-old daughter and am trying to think of a product that would hold her well when I am outside working in the garden. We have a Graco SnugRide infant carrier and the coordinating stroller frame, but our yard is a bit sloped and I'd prefer something a little less "mobile." Of course sunshades are a concern too, as I don't want her getting too much sun exposure. (I could keep her in shady areas or on the porch.)

Any suggestions for products?

deannanb
03-08-2008, 08:56 PM
you could go for something like a sun tent and put dd in the infant carrier on the ground - or in a bouncy seat in the tent

http://www.shadeusa.com/beach_cabanas.htm#kwik%20cabana

if you did most of your gardening in the mornings when it wasn't too hot then the sun wouldn't be a big problem.

You could also bring your pack n play outside to keep her contained while you were outside. -

hth

August Mom
03-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I'd say PNP or bouncer. Or, you could do the infant seat sans stroller if you're concerned it might roll away.

belovedgandp
03-09-2008, 12:49 AM
My June baby was always in the bouncy seat last summer/fall. Either in the garage/driveway or on our deck. Easy enough to pick up and move, but kept him up and watching all the action.

kochh2
03-09-2008, 10:11 AM
don't forget about the all important blanket on the ground... even with a boppy to prop baby up a bit, or with gymini arches... baby needs tummy time as well, so you could try to lump them together if possible, since you'll be right there!!

WatchingThemGrow
03-12-2008, 09:38 AM
We picked up a plastic Tiny Steps walker off Craigslist for $15 that was designated for use in our yard. We used it like an outdoor exersaucer and put DD in it when she couldn't be trusted to stay on a blanket. It was practically new, has been loaned out to a friend and is coming back to us for DS to use for this summer. We've gotten our money's worth out of it! We also picked up a great One Step Ahead beach tent we'll put him in for tummy time in the yard while I chase DD. SO glad we had a fence built last summer for her containment!

boolady
03-12-2008, 10:12 AM
don't forget about the all important blanket on the ground... even with a boppy to prop baby up a bit, or with gymini arches... baby needs tummy time as well, so you could try to lump them together if possible, since you'll be right there!!

This is what we did last spring, when DD was still mostly blanket-bound. She loved all of the natural stimulation of swaying branches, birds, and general outdoor activity to watch, whether she was laying or sitting.

MamaKath
03-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Blanket and boppy is a great idea. You could invest in a superyard as she gets more mobile. It is the gates all attached. We used that a ton with ds.

sarahbrown29
03-13-2008, 03:25 PM
We had a Fisher Price Activity Dome for the twins last summer. It was AWESOME! We even used it on my parent's boat when we were anchored. A bunch of them have been recalled, but I was able to find two that were in good shape - one borrowed from a friend and one from a resale shop. I also found a couple on Ebay.

I attached a picture.

mariza
03-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I love our Graco Pack n Play Sport, they are not made anymore but you might find one in your area on Craigslist or even Ebay. The only downfall is that they are pricey even 2nd hand since they have been discontinued. I love them because the baby is protected from the sun and bugs, but can still crawl and be contained.
Heres one on my local CL so you can see what it looks like. Where are you located?
http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bab/603918154.html