PDA

View Full Version : Savannah, GA in April

cmdnewton
03-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Does anyone have any restaurant, activity, etc. suggestions for Savannah? We're taking our first trip minus baby (!) for three days in mid April. Has anyone been to Mrs. Wilkes Boarding House or the Lady and Sons? Are they way too touristy? Thanks!!!

SnuggleBuggles
03-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Going to Savannah was my first trip w/ dh w/o baby too. :)

We did go to The Lady and Sons and were surprised that we did like it (I worried about the touristy factor too). We arrived sometime between 4-5 and got a reservation for around 7. You don't have to stay around once you get your reservation so that was pretty easy.

Things that stand out in my mind from that trip:
~Ghost tour (one of the walking tours). I'm a major wuss so it scared me but it was still interesting and a fun activity. The one we did was historical rather than the kind of theatrical one where people dress up and jump out at you.
~the Gryphon tea room was yummy
~Wall's BBQ was really good. It was hard to find (hole in the wall, not on a main street). Worth finding.
~We enjoyed relaxing w/ drinks at the Marshall House's bar
~We did a historic home tour where we saw the slave quarters and the main house. I can't remember which one it was. My dh really liked it. It was a good rainy day activity.

We did take a cab out to the cemetery and it was pretty but not really something I was interested in.

Those were the things I remember. I think we went 3 years ago. I can't remember where else we ate. My memory could be jarred if you name some restaurants.

Have a great trip!

Beth

kimbe
03-12-2008, 12:20 AM
I don't have a lot of time to post, but you got some great tips from Beth. DH and I spent 3 days of our Honeymoon there and it was amazing. We stayed at a beautiful bed and breakfast! I just wanted to add that you should make time to walk along the river as much as you can. There are some great resturants there and there are WONDERFUL CANDY SHOPS! We walked down there at least 2x a day to get some candy. (I have one word for you PRALINES!)

The Olde Pink House is a wonderful resturant! However, if I ever go back, I would just order three courses of dessert. I had a torte that was pure heaven and DH had ice cream in a praline basket.

Make sure that you enjoy just walking around and enjoying all of the beautiful parks. Forsythe (sp) Park is big and beautiful!

If you golf, there are some great courses that are inexpensive (for the area.)

We mostly just walked around and enjoyed the parks, food and architecture.

There is a lot that I don't remember since the kiddos have killed all but two or three of my braincells.

Have a wonderful time! It is a beautiful place! We can't wait to go back!

wellyes
03-12-2008, 07:35 AM
Oh, Savannah is beautiful! I went there maybe 10 years ago, I can't really remember specific restaurants, but I do remember that we really enjoyed it. Very relaxed, romantic atmosphere. My most memorable moments:
-the cemetery in town, but go when it's starting to get dark. Sounds morbid but it was just beautiful. While we were there, there was a professional tour going on as well. If you like guided tours I'm sure that would be a good one. We just kind of wandered into the situation and ended up being enchanted by it - the monuments, atmosphere, the gorgeous old trees.
- the riverside is the touristy area, but not in a bad way. We found a bar with an upstairs deck, slowly had a few cool drinks while looking down to enjoy some people-watching and especially to enjoy the (really, really talented) street performers dance.

SnuggleBuggles
03-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Note about walking by the river in the touristy area- it is mostly cobblestone so don't wear heels! I made that mistake. :)

I remember that I also bought a guide book and we did the walking tour outlined in it. It was a nice way to spend and afternoon.

Beth