PDA

View Full Version : Help, I need plus-sized nursing tops! or cover-ups?

Dyonia
03-09-2008, 06:19 AM
DS is now 3 months old, and I'm finally figuring out enough how this works with two kids that I can leave the house on a regular basis. :cheerleader1: I'm just frustrated because I'm tired of looking at my closet and having nothing to wear in public.

Using a blanket to NIP is not working because he hates not being able to look around. He'll holler, fuss, kick, and wildly wave his little arms -- which defeats any attempt at discretion or modesty, I tell you.

I really need tops that are going to cover the pudge. Big boobs (DD) and big hips are making that difficult, particularly the hips. (51"!!!:38: ) I wear a 14/16 on top and 18/20 on the bottom. I've got a long torso, so length is definitely a consideration.

I wear Yes! and Bravado bras, so I've only tried the pull up method of access. I'm really not quite sure how to juggle things :ROTFLMAO: with other types of access. Did I mention that I have a squirmy nurser?

I'm open to layering, if I can find the right layering pieces. I have one of those Target nursing tanks, and it just does not provide enough support. I've contemplated ordering a Bravado nursing tank or a Glamourmom Nursing Bra Long Top. Sizing is the main issue. If I go by Glamourmom's chart, I'm in between the XL and XXL -- can someone tell me how they run?

Oh, and can anyone tell me how well one of those Hooter Hider-type of nursing covers work if you're plus-sized? I've got a lot more to cover than those models!

I'm sure I'm forgetting pertinent information, but it is 3 am here and I just can't think straight any longer. Any and all suggestions are welcome! If you've made it this far, :bowdown:

Yeah, this is the first time I've played with the smileys :p

Oh, and if anyone has nursing tops to sell that you think might work for me, spam away!

:thanks:
Donna

sidmand
03-10-2008, 06:14 PM
The only part I can help with here is the Glamourmom tank. I'm about your size, but reversed (18/20 on top 14/16 on the bottom). By their size chart, I should have also fit into either the XL or XXL top and it was too small. Not by a lot though, so maybe it would have worked (and I guess I was a DD pre-pregnancy and went up to an F or so while pregnant/nursing). It was also before the long tank and I was constantly pulling it down. The little holes you were supposed to poke through never lined up right...I really wanted to like the bra tank, but I hated it. This time I bought three Bravado tanks and so far I'm pretty impressed. They haven't had any real-life usage though (except during pregnancy). But they fit a heck of a lot better than the Glamourmom tanks ever did!

I got this one in brown, black, and white, which were all the colors it came in in my size! I bought the 40 F/G and it fits fine. http://store.babycenter.com/product/code/9071.do?intcmp=Store_Contentsite_Global_Search

So, can't help so much with the other stuff, but as much as I wanted to, I can't recommend the Glamourmom stuff for plus-sized and *well-endowed* women!

tylersmama
03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
I was probably around a 12/14 on top while I was nursing (definitely an XL) and was in a 38F(!) nursing bra. I didn't have any luck with the Glamourmom tank, my F's were just too big. I did have one Target nursing tank that was ok, but nothing great.

I bought a bunch of tops from Expressiva and Motherwear. I liked the t-shirt style-tops that had a full underlayer. You pulled up the top layer to access the hole that was along the side seam. I will say that if you go this route, try to make sure that they have an underlayer that goes all the way around. Some of the tops only had the underlayer in the front and between my massive boobs and my long torso, I would end up with side/tummy showing a little bit at the bottom when I tried to arrange things. It looks like Motherwear is having a sale right now on a bunch of their tops, www.motherwear.com. I had the best luck with tops with an all-around underlayer or with an empire opening.

I never used a cover-up, at least partially because I couldn't coordinate them and DS didn't like them either.

HTH!

Dyonia
03-25-2008, 03:50 AM
Debbie and Gaye,

Thank you so much for your help! Your feedback has made shopping much easier for me. :cheerleader1:

I am getting some of the Bravado nursing tanks for sure, and am now debating several tops and nightgowns at both Expressiva.com and Motherwear.com. It is very pleasant to see nursingwear in actual plus sizes, and I am making it a point to select tops with an all-around underlayer.

Debbie -- best wishes for your impending delivery! :)

Thanks again,
Donna