PDA

View Full Version : weather in Maui

maestramommy
03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
We are leaving for Maui this Saturday for a week, Yay! I went to check out the weather and the range of temps is surprising. During the day it's high of 82 F, and at night it's low of 28 F! Is the range always this wide? How do you pack for this? Obviously when it's that cold we'll all be asleep, but what about in the morning and later afternoon? I was planning on packing some shorts, a pair of sweats, and hiking pants for Dora along with her onesies, T shirts and thin windbreaker. And obviously bathing suit. For myself my REI pants, a couple of Prana knickers, and a skirt in case Dh and I go out for dinner. Does that sound about right? Does the humidity at this time of year make it seem warmer than if we were in say, So Cal?

npace19147
03-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Wow, I am jealous! We've been to Maui twice and had a really great, relaxing time (though neither with kids!).

I think you'll need to bring some more layers - maybe a fleece for both of you, and/or a cardigan for yourself, esp. for out to dinner.

Have fun!

luvmypeanut
03-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Are you sure the 28F forecast isn't for upcountry? The weather is much warmer in the resort areas. Where will you be? I'm in Honolulu but this winter we've had wonderfully cool weather in the evenings and early morning in the mid-60s/low 70s. Your packing list sounds good. My kids like to hang on the beach/pool with trips to Lahaina and the aquarium so I pack just warm weather clothes for them including a long sleeved shirt or light sweater for restaurants. For myself, I take along pants and covered shoes for riding.

maestramommy
03-09-2008, 09:38 PM
Are you sure the 28F forecast isn't for upcountry? The weather is much warmer in the resort areas. Where will you be? I'm in Honolulu but this winter we've had wonderfully cool weather in the evenings and early morning in the mid-60s/low 70s. Your packing list sounds good. My kids like to hang on the beach/pool with trips to Lahaina and the aquarium so I pack just warm weather clothes for them including a long sleeved shirt or light sweater for restaurants. For myself, I take along pants and covered shoes for riding.
Well, I typed in Maui at wunderground.com. We're staying at Lahaina beach cottage. I'll look again. It does seem rather bizarre. I thought HI was really temperate.

Okay, I'm an idiot. I was reading the columns incorrectly. So it's high of 82, and low of 62, which sounds much more like what I was expecting.

luvmypeanut
03-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Have fun! Maui is one of my dd's favorite places!

vludmilla
03-10-2008, 07:49 AM
When I was in Maui the low temperature applied to only the very highest altitude. We only needed to dress warmly for our trip to see the sunrise on Haleakala because it was about 30 degrees up there. But really, even when we stopped in the country/ranch style town for breakfast afterward, the weather was warm. I would say bring gloves/hats only if you intend to travel up to Haleakala (which I highly recommend).