PDA

View Full Version : Solo flight with 3 mo old

MeISOE
03-11-2008, 10:30 PM
I'm starting to panic as I am traveling for a long Easter weekend (4 days) with my 3 mo old by myself. It's an important trip because this is the first time my family will be meeting my DS. I'm not as much worried about how DS will handle the flying as I am that I will forget something important or will have troubles carrying everything or clearing security. I do not have a stroller (I'm a wearer) so I'll have DS on my front in a carrier.

I don't know what to take with me on the airplane versus what to check underneath. Car seats, monitors, waterproof pads ... there seem to be so many things I use at home that I am not sure if I should take or not.

If anyone has any suggestions on types of bags (duffels, backpacks, diaper bags????), contents to pack (diapers, clothes, soaps???), etc. I would really appreciate it. I know this is kind of broad, but are there check lists out there? I value any ideas from seasoned travelers and would be forever grateful. :bowdown:

Neatfreak
03-11-2008, 10:48 PM
Do you think that you'll be making return trips with your kiddo to see your family in the next couple of years? Because if you are, it might make sense to buy bath products, maybe a monitor, and other small stuff there, and leave it there, so you don't have to take as much on future trips.

It's probably good to take the car seat, and carry it to the gate. When we flew with my daughter at three months, I packed a couple changes of clothes, a couple toys for chewing, wipes, and two days worth of diapers (we were flying from Canada to Australia, so a very long flight!) into my carry-on. Many flannel clothes for mopping up drool and dribbles. At three months, my daughter traveled fairly light!

I like traveling with a backpack as my carry-on, but sometimes backpacks aren't comfortable with carriers. A regular diaper bag did the job fine when M was little ...

I hope you have a great flight!

hannah
03-12-2008, 10:39 PM
We first traveled with DD when she was 7 weeks. She is now 3.5 yo! Back then I had a large Lands End diaper bag. I have since purchased a baby sherpa backpack. For the carry on I always take a LOT of diapers - because if you are stuck somewhere it's better to have more than not enough. I also took wipes, pacis, bibs, burps cloths, bottle stuff if you are bottle feeding, extra clothes (3-4 outfits), toys/rattles. We pack baby shampoo/soaps/bath items in the checked luggage along with monitor, pack n'play sheets, etc. Good luck with your trip!

Tondi G
03-13-2008, 12:24 AM
One word of advise I always remembered hearing was make sure you bring a Change of clothes for MOMMY too! So many moms have been puked on or had baby BLOW OUT (for some reason planes tend to do this to babies)... and poor mom was stuck for the rest of the flight looking and smelling kinda funky!

I'm sure it'll all be fine and you'll wonder why you were so worried! Have a safe flight and enjoy introducing your little one to your family!

Keep in mind... if you forget something you can always buy it there!