PDA

View Full Version : Carpet cleaning?

islandkiwi
03-12-2008, 02:01 PM
Between the pets and the new baby, there's more than a few stains on our carpets. What's the best way people have found to deal with them? Should I go out and buy a cleaner, or is there a service people recommend?

niccig
03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't have a carpet cleaning machine, so I can't speak to that. We only have carpet in 2 rooms, one is the family room. I got it professionally cleaned and was amazed at the stains that came out. I'm going to get them back 1-2 times a year. You could always get the professionals in to get rid of the stains and then get a home system to work on any new spills. We want to put hardwood floors in those 2 rooms, the rest of the house is hardwood, so I haven't gotten a carpet cleaner. I just use nature's miracles to get the stains out.

If you want a professional to come and clean the carpets, ask around for recommendations. Mine came from a mother in the local Mom's club and this company puts an ad in the newsletter.

luvmypeanut
03-12-2008, 06:01 PM
I have ours professionally done every 6 months. I have him put on a stain protector and all of our stains have come out (from blood to urine to chocolate). We have a really big house and there is no way I could do it myself.

emmiem
03-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Masterclean is the best company around for carpet cleaning.
Michele

brittone2
03-13-2008, 11:21 AM
I use my steam cleaner and vinegar in it most of the time. Before having it professionally done, you might want to look into Kawasaki Syndrome and the relationship w/ carpet cleaning. There are mixed studies about whether there is a connection. IMO, why take the chance, especially if you have a young baby.

one link:
http://www.checnet.org/healthehouse/education/articles-detail.asp?Main_ID=443

You can search pubmed.com as well.

eta:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2020511

islandkiwi
03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Wow, I'd never even heard of Kawasaki syndrome before. Perhaps I will look into the self-clean with vinegar option...

niccig
03-14-2008, 01:24 AM
I use my steam cleaner and vinegar in it most of the time.

Beth, what kind of steam cleaner do you use? Granted I only have 2 carpeted rooms, but if it can be used for other things, it could be worth it to me.
Thanks.

o_mom
03-14-2008, 08:41 AM
Just a note, in those links, it says that ANY carpet cleaning, even just plain water, was linked to the syndrome.

ETA: not saying that it isn't a good idea to skip the chemicals, but just there isn't any evidence that it is any better for this particular concern. I just had my carpets cleaned on Tuesday (we are selling the house) and I scheduled it when the older kids weren't here and they didn't come back until 24 hrs later. We kept DS3 off the carpet until then, too.

brittone2
03-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Yeah, I've read that about the carpets, even just water, but I figure it has to be better to skip the chemical aspect if you are stuck w/ having to do it (wishful thinking?)

eta: those links suggest having kids stay out of the house for 4 hours or so after cleaning the carpets, so that may be a consideration for you as well, even if you stick w/ just water or water/vinegar.

I have no idea what brand our steam cleaner is. I'll look later. It was some sort of Hoover or similar sold at Home Depot or Lowes several years ago. It is big and green ;) Ours works on hardwood/vinyl flooring etc too. I use it primarily for spot cleaning on carpets.

When we bought it we had two dogs, gray carpet (installed by a previous owner), and very red soil in our yard outside. It got a lot of use ;)

o_mom
03-14-2008, 09:06 AM
Cross posted (edited), avoiding the chemicals is best when possible. :)

brittone2
03-14-2008, 10:26 AM
Yeah, I'd try to keep a young child out of the house if possible. I know Kawasaki isn't that common, but I remember seeing the Travoltas on Oprah many years ago talking about their experience w/ it so it is forever etched into my mind.

That and the fact that conventional carpet cleaning solution gives me a major headache.

:)

O_mom-I didn't know you were selling your house! Best of luck :)

o_mom
03-14-2008, 10:30 AM
O_mom-I didn't know you were selling your house! Best of luck :)

Thanks! We are hoping it will sell in this market. Our area hasn't been hit as hard as other place where prices were pretty inflated. Fingers crossed.

We don't _have_ to move just now, but we are outgrowing the space and it will just be a local move. I want to get settled before DS1 goes into school and don't want to be rushed next year. If it doesn't sell this year, we will take it off for the winter and try again next spring.

mytwosons
03-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Not to start anything, but I've read several stories that the Travolta's son actually has autism. However, that is classified as a mental illness (I don't believe it is), and Scientologists don't believe in mental illnesses. Hence, they claim he has Kowasaki.

Some carpet cleaning companies use (or at least offer) non-toxic and biodegradable products; It's worth asking around. In my experience, the power of the professional machine (steam vs. hot water and suction power) really make a big difference.

Ceepa
03-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Not to start anything, but I've read several stories that the Travolta's son actually has autism. However, that is classified as a mental illness (I don't believe it is), and Scientologists don't believe in mental illnesses. Hence, they claim he has Kowasaki.

wouldn't surprise me.

brittone2
03-16-2008, 10:33 AM
I've heard that as well. Regardless, Kawasaki has been linked in some studies (not all) to carpet cleaning. I just thought I'd mention it because IMO it seems reasonable to keep your kids out of the house for a few hours afterward just to be on the safe side, and my personal preference is to skip the heavy duty cleaning solutions/chemicals.