PDA

View Full Version : Preschool staffing changes

Gena
03-12-2008, 02:34 PM
DS attends the special needs preschool program through the school district. He will be in this program again next year. This is a reverse inclusion program with 8 children who are special needs and 4 typically developing peers in each classroom. Throughout the district there are 10 classrooms. Every classroom has a lead teacher and two aides. Additional staff members are the speech therapist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, and adaptive physical education teacher. Currently, the school district contracts the preschool staff through the county MRDD. The school district pays all the expenses, but MRDD does the actual hiring and training of the staff. The teachers, aides, and therapists work for MRDD and are assigned to the school district.

The school board has decided that starting next year the district will take complete control of the preschool staffing. No more contract with MRDD. All of the current teachers, aides, and therapists will lose their jobs when this school year is done. The district is going to hire a whole new staff. And to save money, the district wants to hire teachers who are fresh out of school or have only a year or two of experience.

I am very upset that my son is going to lose a great teacher with 25 years experience teaching special needs preschoolers. I’m worried that he is going to get a teacher whose only knowledge of autism comes from a textbook. I think it is terrible that the school district believes that special needs preschool children shouldn’t have experienced teachers. The other parents are outraged as well. We have been calling the school board and writing letters, but they remain firm in this decision.

Last year we lost an excellent teacher because the school levy failed by 300 votes. The levy passed on the second try and we thought we were safe from having to go through that again. Now I really feel betrayed that I voted for the levy so we could keep our great teachers and now we are going to lose them anyway. It just doesn’t seem right.

Thanks for letting me vent.

MamaMolly
03-12-2008, 04:02 PM
Oh man, that stinks! I have no BTDT to offer, but I'm sending huge hugs your way. :hug5:

Is there any way that the principals can hire back the 'fired' teachers back? Or are they resolved to only have newbies?

Gena
03-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Technically the schools can hire the current teachers back BUT the teachers will have to compete for the jobs like all the other applicants and they will not be paid for their years of experience. They would need to accept the pay and seniority of a first year teacher. The current teachers do not find this acceptable and I don't blame them.

rupptopia
03-13-2008, 02:14 AM
I also don't have any BTDT to offer, but just wanted to say that the board's decision is terrible! Speical needs kids need experienced teachers more than anyone! A good example of cost-cutting gone too far. . .

julieakc
03-13-2008, 03:04 AM
I am shocked that the school board would make such a horrible decision. No doubt it all boils down to the budget and hiring new inexperienced teachers will be cheaper, but it is definitely the wrong decision.

Perhaps you can do a premptive move and get the parents to tell the board that they are putting themselves at risk of action for not providing an appropriate environment and that they then might have to pay for the students to go to an alternate school. Obviously this is an ordeal to prove but the special education laws do have provision that the school district has to provide a proper environment (I forget the exact wording) and if they cannot (and you prove that they can't) the school district has to pay for the child to go elsewhere.

Have any of the parents worked with an independent advocate or attorney that you (as a parent group) can talk to about your rights given this situation?

None of this may be possible, but I thought I'd throw it out as at least something to consider. School districts hate lawsuits and hate having to pay for students to go elsewhere.

As a parent of a special needs child I certainly feel your pain and would be furious as well. :32:

I hope something works out.

kerridean
03-13-2008, 09:54 PM
This is such a small world. I was lurking and found your post. My daughter attends this preschool as well. We have been beyond pleased with the quality of education and are so upset about the upcoming changes. I feel as though there is nothing we can do. I am planning on keeping her there next year anyway, hoping for the best. I will PM you.

Kerri

snowbunnies300
03-14-2008, 06:16 PM
Now is the time to start contacting the media. Write to the newspapers about the injustice. I have a son who has been in special ed preschool and will attend kindergarten next year (mainstream with an aide). During his IEP I stated I wanted an experienced teacher and not one who was a first or second year. The entire special ed staff agreed with me. It is stressful enough making sure that our children receive the best care and treatment(s) possible for autism then add in stupid school board members who have no clue. They are only looking at the bottom line.