PDA

View Full Version : Ergo or Moby?

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2008, 10:17 AM
I was all set to buy the Ergo but I thought I would see what other moms would choose btw those 2. I think I like that the Ergo is structured some but the Moby looks so comfy. :)

Beth

jhrabosk
03-13-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't know the Moby all THAT well, but I'm not sure you can compare the two. They're very different styles of carrier.

You could use the Moby right away, but it might not last as long (i.e., only good up to 35 pounds). The Moby will also have a steeper learning curve.

Also, check on what kind of fabric the Moby is made of. The photos look kind of like jersey and I've heard that jersey is tough for getting a good fit...

Unless you buy an infant insert, you might not use the Ergo until 4-5 months, but it has a higher weight limit. There is virtually no learning curve with the Ergo, particularly if you have someone to help put it on.

Parents I met who use who use wraps swear by them all the way up through toddlerhood. I was too intimdated as a first-timer, but will probably try one the next time around. That said, I LOVE my Ergo. My daughter is approx. 35 lbs and I still wear her on my back for short distances.

HTH!

KBecks
03-13-2008, 12:09 PM
I am thinking about getting both, although that's quite an investment. I'm going to keep an eye on Craigslist around here and try to catch a deal.

elektra
03-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I have both actually. The moby is great for the beginning. I wish I would have had it from day 1 actually, as I liked it alot better than the sling I had. It just more secure than a sling to me and it distributes the baby's weight evenly. I actually went to go get the ergo when DD was about 2 or 3 months and I came home with the moby instead. Although I love the ergo now, it was just too big for a little baby. It just seemed really funky to me to stuff the tiny baby in there sideways with the infant insert.
So I waited until DD was maybe 6 or 7 months old before getting the Ergo, and even then she still seemed very small in it.

citymama
03-13-2008, 01:12 PM
We used the Ergo with our DD starting at about 5-6 months (and she was still pretty tiny then, about 25 percentile for weight but tall). No infant insert, no learning curve. Since it looks like your baby is about 3-4 months, I would say Ergo is a good pick since you can use it for a long time - I still carry my DD in it every day and she's 2. I never used the Moby so no advice there (we had the Maya wrap until we got the Ergo) except that if you're going to get just one, at this point I would probably get an Ergo given the longevity factor (not to mention it's very comfortable). You can also get cloth carriers (Mei Tais like Babyhawk) that are like Ergo, if you're considering the fabric issue, but Ergo is, as the name suggests, more ergonomic.

WatchingThemGrow
03-13-2008, 01:55 PM
I sold the Ergo infant insert about 6 weeks ago on CL because DS had been riding in it w/o it for a while. We really only needed it for the first 2 mos. maybe, but he's long... Today DD was wanting to be held, so I quickly scooped her up and into a back carry, answered the door and let the furniture deliverers right in with her up and out of the way. It was great. I am a fan of the Ergo for the versatility. I do have to say, however, we have a Bjorn Active in the car that gets used when I'm grocery shopping. With him being able to look out - and directly at DD sitting in the cart - has been great too. Not sure if you can do that in a Moby, but I've never tried one.

cheme
03-13-2008, 02:21 PM
I also have both and would also recommend the ergo if you are just going to get one. I really like the moby for the early months, but once my dc's could hold up their heads and weighed more I liked the ergo much better. The heavier the child, the more the fabric stretches out over time and you don't have as good of fit. I also found the moby to be hotter during the summer months with all of the fabric wrapped around you.

mamababa
03-13-2008, 04:26 PM
I've used both also and agree with PP that Moby is fabulous for the first few months, but not so much for an older baby, since the stretchy material gets stretched out as baby gets heavier. The ERGO is great for kids your LO's age and up.

Wraps are super comfy, though, so if you think the Moby is comfy, you might look into other wraps. Gpysy Mama makes affordable ones and even the stretch one is more supportive than the Moby and can be used in a back carry (unlike Moby).

HTH!

SnuggleBuggles
03-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Wow! I wasn't expecting such a response today. :) Thank you so much! I actually came to delete my post b/c I couldn't help myself and just bought an Ergo! :) Dh was really excited by it's versatility. Ds is 15.5lbs at 3 months w/ good neck control so I think he is going to be fine in the Ergo.

Drat, I should have bought the Moby instead of the Hotsling though. Lesson learned in case there is a #3.

I am so excited to practice using my Ergo.

Thanks again!

Beth

SASM
03-14-2008, 08:54 PM
I know that you already bought the Ergo but, if you are still interested in a Moby, check out www.thebabywearer.com or Yahoo's BabywearingSWAP. You can get a pretty good deal on a Moby's. I have a MobyD (silk) and was checking the other day to see what they were going for on TBW. I agree with the others that a Moby does stretch out with heavier weight but it is very comfortable and when it is stretched out it works fine (it is just when it is freshly washed and in need of stretching that it can be a pain). I have a 5.5mo and am still wearing it comfortably ~ she is probably about 15#.

Good luck with your Ergo! Totally different carrier but I have a KOZY that I still use in a back carry with my 38# 3yo! I do not think that you'll regret getting the carrier with longevity. :)