PDA

View Full Version : Why does sunscreen expire? Would you use it anyway?

nicksmom
03-13-2008, 04:58 PM
When I pulled out several bottles of sunscreen last weekend, I discovered they have all expired. Does anyone know if the sunscreen ceases to work after the expiration date? I would not use them if they are not effective, yet they were expensive and it seems like such a waste. I will have to be careful to only buy when I need for each season. WWYD???

Thanks!

MamaMolly
03-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Sorry but I'd chuck it. Sunscreen just isn't as effective after the expiration date. I just use this as an excuse to really slather it on. Gotta use it up before it goes bad! HTH

JBaxter
03-13-2008, 08:17 PM
My ex used expired sunscreen on my oldest to one year he took them to the beach. They both blistered. Toss the expired sunscreen.

bubbaray
03-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Yes it does expire, no I wouldn't use it. BTDT like Jaena said

lablover
03-14-2008, 08:49 PM
I had always heard that you should throw away your sunscreen after 1 year. Does anyone know if that's true? I have several bottles that I bought last summer and they don't expire until 2010. I'd love to still use them.

Gena
03-14-2008, 09:04 PM
I had always heard that you should throw away your sunscreen after 1 year. Does anyone know if that's true? I have several bottles that I bought last summer and they don't expire until 2010. I'd love to still use them.

If you've stored it where it wasn't subjected to high temperatures (like in a cabinet at home), it's probably OK to use this summer. If you kept it in your car all last summer or somewhere else that got really hot, throw it away.

nicksmom
03-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Thank you for your input. I am not going to feel bad about tossing them. If only I can find some deals out there on sunscreen now...