PDA

View Full Version : Graco Pack n Play -- Help Please!

hortonk
03-13-2008, 08:07 PM
My wife and I are expecting our first DS in July. We have heavily researched playards and have noted Graco Pack n Play seems to be at the top of everyone's list. However, when we start looking at all the various models in store, it gets quickly overwhelming. Also, Consumer Reports tagged at least one model with a less than satisfactory safety rating.

Can anyone provide feedback on which Graco Pack n Play playards to focus on? We'd prefer a mobile over a canopy and like the bassinet feature.

We'd also take any advice on alternatives to Graco, but please be specific so we don't get overwhelmed with another company's offerings!

Thanks in advance!

Melarina
03-13-2008, 09:20 PM
We have the Graco playard in Bermuda. It has a mobile (although the mobile is kind of lame :) and a bassinet feature plus a changing table. We have liked it a lot so far. HTH!

MamaMolly
03-13-2008, 09:42 PM
Our BTDT story is kind of funny. We had a PNP all picked out but when we were shopping in another store we found one with the same features for much less. I wanted the bassinet feature and the fold up changing table. It came with the light, sounds, vibration thingy and a canopy and a really crummy mobile.

I didn't really use the canopy much and never bothered to even put the mobile on. If I were you, I'd decide what features you really want, then go to a store and see what they have in your price range. Try not to get too hung up on fabrics (unless that kind of thing is REALLY important to you.) For us, the cost/for features was worth having a navy plaid PNP.
HTH

sidmand
03-13-2008, 09:43 PM
I think most of them are the same thing, just in different colors and styles. Not all, but most.

Ours came with a mobile, but I think the mobile on the PNP is not so necessary. I think almost all of the full size ones have the ability to turn into a bassinet at the beginning. That is a nice feature to have. It's nice to have the changing table feature too, although we honestly didn't use that much.

I don't think you can go wrong with most of them. Find one that has what you want (and I wouldn't worry about the canopy/mobile...you probably won't use either)--just the basics. They're all very very close! Now that I think about it, I think ours played music too. We never used that either. The lights/music/motion...not important. You basically just need a nice place for baby to sleep!

MontrealMum
03-13-2008, 10:41 PM
I think most of them are the same thing, just in different colors and styles. Not all, but most.

:yeahthat:

Just wanted to add, if you are planning on travelling at all then the changing table is a must, but if you aren't, or won't travel much, then it's not a huge thing. Our pnp has all sorts of bells and whistles that we don't really use (DS hates the vibrating thing! and you can't hear the music either). But the raised changing table was worth it. Here is the one we have, but a number of the new Gracos have the raised table (some have a lower one which will do a number on your back) http://www.gracobaby.com/catalog/product.aspx?modelNumber=9957RIT&CategoryID=3

The added bonus with this type of changing table is that it can fold (somewhat) out of the way without being removed, or can be easily taken off and set somewhere else. (we found we needed to do that on a recent trip where the pnp didn't fit through the doors of our condo - and had to be collapsed every night to do so!).

If you're set on a mobile you can get the aftermarket Tiny Love travel mobile. We clipped it on the changing table so it could hang and move free, but DS couldn't reach it.

hortonk
03-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Thanks for the great replies!

I'm 6'4" and one of my main concerns is with the changing table. I like the idea of the raised changing table. However, the main reason Consumer Reports gave such a bad Safety rating to some of the Pack n Plays is due to the lack of safety straps on the changing table. Has anyone had an issue with this? Sorry for my ineptitude, but I really am quite new to this whole concept...

o_mom
03-14-2008, 08:38 AM
We have two PNPs - one with just a bassinet - no other features and one with all the extras - bassinet, changer, canopy, toy bag, etc. We have never used any of the extra features except the bassinet. The bassinet is great if you are travelling in the first few months, but the weight limit is very low (12 lbs?) and once they are rolling you must stop using it. I will admit that we pushed that a bit with DS3 as he didn't roll in his sleep until much later (swaddled), but still we were done with the bassinet part by 4 months.

When we travel, I find it easier to use a bed or floor for changing. The changing table adds so much weight and bulk that we didn't even bring it after a few times of not using it. The changer is raised, but not much more than a bed and I can sit on the bed while I change them. I did have the PNP set up at home for the first few months, but we also had a changing table downstairs, so I didn't use it there either.

We also have a Phil and Teds T2 Travel Cot. I wouldn't use it for an infant, but we are going to start using it for DS2 (almost 3) when we travel. I think you could start using it around 10-12 months. It is much lighter and less bulk. We are packing for three kids and two adults, so we need to be efficient in packing. :)

MontrealMum
03-14-2008, 09:42 AM
We actually have two pnp - don't ask! And the 1st is the no-frills, plaid version that also comes with a "changing table" - which is at the same level as the bassinet, and would give most people major back trouble to use. O-Mom is right, you'd be better off using the bed or floor or something.

Our second pnp, which is the link in my previous post, has a raised bassinet which allows me to change DS fairly comfortably (I am 5'7", my DH is 5'11") - so maybe not great for really tall people, but much better than the other type. For me this is a big deal because I have bursitis from a knee surgery and can't kneel on the floor.

We have never used the safety straps on our regular at-home changing table because it's just one more level of fuss with a squirmy, fussy, curious baby (who likes to chew on them anyway). You're never supposed to leave the baby for an instant on a changing table, so I'm not quite sure how the straps are supposed to help if you're right there all the time anyways. My DS has rolled over a few times which I'm trying to change him (he's 7 mos), and I just roll him right back, as long as I'm there, he's not going anywhere. So, personally, I was not bothered by the lack of them on the pnp. And once you change a few diapers you'll find that you get quite quick at it!

The weight limits vary from model to model on the pnp, so you should check that out. Our "fancier" version has a limit of 15lbs for the bassinet, and 25lbs. for the changing table. Our DS is very light but long so he'll be able to use the changing table part for quite a while, but that also depends on your child. We never used any of the other extras with this model, but the changing table was worth the extra $$ for us.

You really have to think of your home's layout, your travel plans, and what you will use it for, and for how long. I also use ours to keep DS "contained" which I am working at home.

ETA: you do not need to use the bassinet for sleeping, you can just remove the part it goes in, and put the mattress on the bottom for the baby to sleep. Since I work at home I really liked that DS could sleep in my office while Iwas working, and I didn't have to move him to a crib if he fell asleep while playing. We only stopped using the bassinet feature because he's really strong and a little ahead on some benchmarks and I was afraid he'd pitch himself over the side when it was up high.

jent
03-14-2008, 01:16 PM
I remember researching this one heavily too, when I was in your shoes (and to top it all off, Graco discontinued the one I wanted, etc.)

It all depends on how you're using it. We used one as a bassinet in our room for the 1st few months, and it was great. The changing table was great for this purpose, as we didn't have a changing table in our room. (Newborn diapers can be quite messy, so you may not want to be using your bed in the middle of the night!) But the table is bulky for travel, so after the first few times, we skipped it. Safety was _not_ an issue- my daughter is 10 months and quite wiggly, and I have to keep a hand on her at all times-- a strap wouldn't make a difference.

The vibration mode worked once in a while to help DD to sleep in those early days-- even though it didn't work every time, it was priceless when it did. The music/nature noises didn't do anything for her. And the light is very dim, I never bothered with it.

One caveat with using it a P&P for travel is that because it looks so different from her crib, DD really puts up a fuss when being put to sleep in it (once asleep though, she slept fine, so I don't think it's a comfort issue. My sis ran into the same probs and now rents a crib when she travels and her DD sleeps much better in that.

We don't really use it as a playard-- DD is so active I think she would really hate being cooped up.

hortonk
03-20-2008, 01:29 PM
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your feedback. It's been really helpful. You've alleviated my concerns about the changing table safety straps. We've identified the Graco Pack n Play model we want. Wouldn't you know it, it's being discontinued...gotta get one soon before they run out!

hillview
03-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Just in case you wanted more info :)
We have the PNP with a bassinett and a changing table and a mobile and a canopy or some sort of sun shade thing? We never used the mobile or the canopy. The bassinett was great for first few months. The changing table was also great for first few months. Both DSs (who are HUGE) outgrew the bassinett and changing table by month 3.
HTH
/hillary