PDA

View Full Version : How much weight did you gain with your multiples?

jacksmom0902
03-14-2008, 09:55 AM
I know this can really vary by individual but how much weight did you gain with your twins? I am 18 weeks along and have already gained almost 15 pounds. I am tall and my previous two have been large babies. Additionally, my ob doesn't seem too concerned knowing my history. I want to do what's best for my babies but I'd also like to stay within a healthy weight gain. FWIW, my MZ boys share a placenta and I've been so sick that I've been eating small frequent meals trying to fend off the vomiting that I know will come if I wait too long to eat. I gained more than the suggested amount with my first two and my ob actually weighed the placenta and fluid-soaked towels after my second delivery because she was surprised by how much fluid I actually had. Anyone care to share?

Thanks,
Karla

egoldber
03-14-2008, 12:06 PM
Sorry, not a twin mom, but my SIL is expecting twins, so I'm reading up on it. :) I thought the current recommendation for twins (per the Barbara Luke book) was to encourage early weight gain with twin pregnancies?

gatorsmom
03-14-2008, 10:08 PM
I read the Barbara Luke book and I thought it said keep eating as much as you can? Anyway, that's what my OB said and the L&D nurse who taught our multiples class. You need to eat a lot in the beginning, yes, but you ESPECIALLY need to eat alot toward the end of the pregnancy because you will need to eat enough for each baby to gain. So, don't try to watch how much you gain. This is not the pregnancy for it! The more you gain, the bigger your babies when they are delivered. And really, the goals for a multiples pregnancy is to deliver healthy-sized babies. You don't want your babies to be born small and spend time in the NICU if at all possible!

So, to answer your question, I ate whenever I was hungry. I tried to snack on healthy stuff- lots of dried fruit, trail mix, kashi cereals, etc. But I definitely listened to my body. I also drank an obscene amount of water. My twins were born at 37 weeks at 6lbs. and 6.5lbs. That's a LOT Of baby!! And I only gained 10 pounds more with this pregnancy than I did either of my first 2 pregnancies. 1st (singleton) pregnancy I gained 45lbs, 2nd (singleton) pregnancy also gained 45lbs, twins pregnancy I gained 55 lbs.

gl with your pregnancy!

LaCostaMom
03-15-2008, 11:14 AM
I am delivering our twins on Monday (c-section) and so far, I've gained about 15 lbs (give or take 2-4 lbs). I'm on a diabetic diet though so my intake of carbs has been pretty low. I was really concerned about my lack of weight-gain but none of my doctors (peri and 4 OBs) have ever been concerned. I mentioned the Barbara Luke book to my peri and his recommendation was that weight gain should be a on a "sliding scale" dependent on your starting weight. I know a few people who've read the book & thought "oh - I need to gain 45 lbs" on top of the extra 40 they were carrying when they got pg.

I think eating a healthy and balanced diet is the key. I saw a nutritionist during the early months of my pregnancy and she helped a lot. If you're really concerned, maybe you can see one through your OB office?

Good luck with your pregnancy!!!

mjmamma
03-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I am 22.5 weeks into my twin pregnancy and have gained 35+ pounds, lol. With both of my singletons, I gained 40 pounds. My ob warned me that I would gain a quite a bit more weight and she was not at all concerned with how much. I do lose it easily so maybe that contributed to her lack of concern. Plus, the majority of it seems to be in my very basketball-like belly. She seems very happy that I am gaining at this rate. I haven't asked too much about it though the consensus seems to be that it is good to gain a fair amount in the beginning.

I'm not sure if that makes you feel better or worse but good luck. I still have 16+ weeks to go and cannot wait to bend at the waist again!

Supermom
03-17-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm 24 weeks pregnant with twins and gained 25 pounds. My OB is also not concerned about the exact amount of weight I gain. He doesn't agree with Luke's book on overeating in order to gain lots of weight because he's concerned with the weight remaining after the pregnancy, but he said that as long as I eat the right things and not fill myself up with things like candy bars all day, it doesn't bother him if I'll gain a lot. Obviously, if you don't gain enough, it's an area of concern..for a single or multiple pregnancy.

So, I say..eat, enjoy, make good food choices, and you'll be fine!

onjbj
03-19-2008, 03:27 PM
I agree with Supermom- my OB wasn't concerned with my weight gain. I am only 5ft and gained 50lbs for my twins. As long as you eat well and drink plenty of water, I wouldn't obsess about weight gain unless you dr tells you it's a problem. Most of my weight gain was water weight which started to be a problem in my final weeks- so, really, it depends on the kind of weight you are gaining, you know what I mean?

Karin