PDA

View Full Version : Need some quick VBAC vs. C-section info...

ShayleighCarsensMom
03-14-2008, 08:19 PM
nevermind...

Thanks so much!
Valerie

strollerqueen
03-14-2008, 08:31 PM
Thanks Val but LOL I have NO infection at all and am not sick. I am being pumped full of antibiotics as a prophylactic.

strollerqueen
03-14-2008, 08:34 PM
Everything is fine right now, whilte blood cell count is excellent. Except that I am gushing amniotic fluid and blood, which worries the Doc. She wanted to start labor with pitocin today. Her logic was to get him out now, before things go down hill. But I read that pitocin could cause uterine rupture, so I refused.

strollerqueen
03-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Sorry, that was a little confusing. I am typing in the hospital with an IV in my hand so I guess my story wasn't clear. Basically my water broke on Wed. DS at this point is 34.3 weeks, and is doing great. US says he is 5.8 pds, if that is accurate. Yesterday my substitute doc wanted me to keep him in as as long as possible. But today she changed her mind, because I am still leaking a lot. She wanted to start labor with pitocin this morning, while everything still looks good. But I said no, because I read pitocin could cause uterine rupture in a Vbac. I guess the options at this point are...
1.) Wait until my regular doc comes back on Monday. He will NOT do a vBac though, he will do a C-section.
2.) let her go ahead and start labor tomorrow with pitocin.
3.) wait and hope natural labor kicks in before the C-sec doc comes back

Thanks for any input you may have. And thanks again Val for starting the thread. I am so sorry for the confusion!

o_mom
03-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Have you had any vaginal exams? If not, do not consent to any at all - they really tell you nothing at this point. Every vaginal exam increases the infection risk, no matter how sterile they claim it is. If you have had one already, then you may need to look into labor or c-section sooner rather than later. I think that most labors start within 24-48 hrs of SROM, so you have some room to wait and see.

bubbaray
03-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Have they tried putting fluid in?? I've heard of that being done, but if you are gushing AF, honestly, if it were me, I'd have a c/s stat. I can't remember all the risks from premature leaking of AF, but IIRC the big risks are infection (why they have you an antibiotics) and a cord accident -- if the fluid gets low enough, the baby isn't floating anymore and can compress the cord. Obviously, not a good thing.

I'm weirded out by the whole pitocin post c/s idea. Maybe that's just me. I would prefer to have a c/s instead of risking the pitocin (or any other form of inducing).

Wishing you the best! Good luck making your decision!!

Ceepa
03-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Have they tried putting fluid in?? I've heard of that being done, but if you are gushing AF, honestly, if it were me, I'd have a c/s stat. I can't remember all the risks from premature leaking of AF, but IIRC the big risks are infection (why they have you an antibiotics) and a cord accident -- if the fluid gets low enough, the baby isn't floating anymore and can compress the cord. Obviously, not a good thing.

All of these things happened to me when I went into labor with DS. My water broke and I lost so much amniotic fluid without labor progressing that they had to flow fluids into my uterus to keep DS floating and off his cord. He was in distress and he and I developed fevers so after many hours of labor I had a C.

Good luck to you and baby.

strollerqueen
03-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Wow, scary. I asked about injecting a saline solution, and was told that was only done in Europe, and "not the standard of care here", LOL! Thank you for telling me of your experience, it helps.

strollerqueen
03-14-2008, 10:06 PM
Have you had any vaginal exams? If not, do not consent to any at all - they really tell you nothing at this point. Every vaginal exam increases the infection risk, no matter how sterile they claim it is. If you have had one already, then you may need to look into labor or c-section sooner rather than later. I think that most labors start within 24-48 hrs of SROM, so you have some room to wait and see.

Thank you! Fortunately they share that belief, and did not do any exams. It's approaching 48 hours since my water broke, so maybe things will start up on their own.

egoldber
03-14-2008, 10:48 PM
FWIW, Amy was born at 34 weeks 0 days. She was 6 pounds (as she had been predicted to be). While her 12 days in the NICU sucked royally, all is well now. She had mild RDS, but was on room air by day 2.

I believe the reason they don't do amnio infusion after 34 weeks is because at that point, statistically speaking, the baby is safer being born vs the theoretical risk of an infection in utero. Mom can be asymptomatic for that infection.

Wife_and_mommy
03-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Wow!! Will say a prayer.

Best of luck! Can't wait to heart the news. :)

bubbaray
03-14-2008, 11:01 PM
deleted because of subsequent flame.

egoldber
03-14-2008, 11:06 PM
it says that oxytocin (pitocin) isn't contraindicated for VBAC

Actually, what it says is that oxytocin is not contradicted for augmentation, not induction. In the very next bullet point it says that oxytocin increases the risk of rupture when used for induction and should only be done with care.