PDA

View Full Version : Sooooooo Embarassing...

Happy 2B mommy
03-15-2008, 12:11 PM
The diaper poll made me want to share my experience at playgroup yesterday.

Lately DD has learned how to open the velcro on disposible diapers, so it makes changing time a lot of fun until I get pants on her, and then it isn't a problem.

I was so excited to take DD to our community Family Resource playgroup yesterday. We've been going on and off for the past 2 months and it's a very cliquey (sp?) group, so I really haven't gotten to know anyone. One of the other newer moms I met a few weeks ago had given her number to the staff members to give to me. I was delighted because I'm trying to make some new friends. I called her and we planned to meet at the playgroup on Friday morning. I take extra care to make sure DD is dressed in nice playclothes - a cute bib romper and shirt set. She looks comfy and adorable.

So while DD is playing I notice that the lower leg of her overalls is looking really bulky. Before I can get to DD to check it out, she stops playing, grabs her leg and pulls out her wet diaper and throws it on the floor. In. Front. Of. EVERYONE. The other moms all stare at me and DD, with these looks on their faces, like I'm too stupid to know how to properly put on a diaper. I want to die. Thankfully the mom I met just laughed.

So the lesson learned is if DD is wearing a sposie, she must also wear a onesie. Or I put her in a cloth dipe with snaps.

Kerri
Mommy to escape artist in training, DD 11/06

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2008, 12:21 PM
That's pretty cute. Moms that gave me a look like the majority of them did though would not be moms I would want to hag out with at all. Good thing the one that you wanted to get to know better was nice about it. Just wait, those other moms will get their moment where something like that happens. Kids are just kids and they do stuff like that. :)

Beth

Emmas Mom
03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
ITA with Beth, I wouldn't want to hang out with those kind of mothers either! I would've been laughing too. Your DD is what, a year & a half?! Come on, she's learning these things & was probably pretty dang proud of herself for figuring it out. Next time you should say something like...."dirty diapers go in the trash can, let's go throw it away". Like your teaching her, which you are. Those other moms are stupid, throw rocks at them! ;)

Kungjo
03-15-2008, 01:12 PM
I wouldn't worry about it. I would have laughed too if I had been there or even if it was me. Kids will always do things that may or may not embarass you. If you're a mom (a normal mom) you would be more understanding. Don't worry about the other moms. Just go with the flow.

Then, when they are older, you can switch the tables on them and do things to embarass them! :)

Pennylane
03-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorry that happened, but anyone who did not laugh about it is not a friend I would want to have anyway.

Ann

tarabenet
03-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Are you sure that is what their looks meant? I'm thinking if they were looking at you in horror, they were actually thinking "Oh no! How long before my child works out that little trick too?" Because [evil grin here!] you know they all will. And any parent who *wasn't* thinking that, and who actually was passing such a silly judgment on you? Her/his child will be the next one doing it. "Karma" happens fast when it is kid-related! :)

StantonHyde
03-15-2008, 02:27 PM
DD not only takes off her diaper, she takes off ALL of her clothes. At a huge BDay party for one of DS's friends at a "bouncy house place" she stripped butt nekked and ran around. It took a while to get her coralled and convinced to get dressed!!!!! People just laughed.

ITA with PP--I wouldn't be friends with anybody who can't laugh at kids. When I am the observer I will usually say something like (totally joking) "Of course, that NEVER happens at our house" or "Oh yeah, been there done that--he wasn't potty trained till 3 and a half" etc.

Happy 2B mommy
03-15-2008, 05:52 PM
I think some of the looks were because DD removed her diaper without removing any other clothing. Had DD decided to be a streaker I think they all would have laughed. It also doesn't help that DD is the youngest who shows up and is in the "if it's a sippy cup, it's mine" stage. I keep on top of it and luckily she hasn't actually drank any other child's drink, but I'm sure it doesn't make us favorites.

Kerri

DrSally
03-16-2008, 09:45 AM
I think I would've laughed too. It's just one of those things kids do b/c they can. I would not have thought you didn't know how to put on a diaper at all.