PDA

View Full Version : Install DVD player on Odyssey

ChefGirl
03-15-2008, 01:25 PM
Has anyone bought any Odyssey and install the DVD player to the vehicle by a third party (ie, Tweeter, etc.)?

DVD player cost about $400 or so. Do you think it's worth it? I will check the Ody club forum as well.

Thanks guys. I'm just not experienced in the Odyssey department. We finally broke down and decided to get a Ody.

BillK
03-15-2008, 02:58 PM
The stock Odyssey dvd system really does kick ass. You can load it up front (and be in control) - and you can control the functions from up front which is really nice. I'd suggest ponying up for the stock system personally.

katydid1971
03-15-2008, 03:32 PM
We were offered the Odyssey with the DVD at the same price as ours without it but refused because I don't want my child watching DVDs everything they are in the car. I know that doesn't always happen (please don't flame me) but I have known a few people with DVDs in their cars full time and their DCs start to demand seeing movies on trips to the store etc. We have a $150 DVD with a case tht hanges from the back seat tht is only in the car for long trips (I have an over 2 hour rule for it). that's my opinion on DVDs in the car.

KBecks
03-15-2008, 04:47 PM
Congrats on your decision. I'd go with the mfg. installed because you can control the DVD from up front and from what I've heard, the controls are awesome and convenient to do from the dash. So I would take advantage of the mfg. install and have it under warranty if you really need the DVD player.

Otherwise if you want to go very cheap, as we plan to do down the road. We will get personal DVD players for the boys for $100 or whatever at WalMart when the boys are older and we are going on longer trips. We don't go on many long (as in 4-5 hours or more) trips so didn't see the need to have the DVD right away.

o_mom
03-15-2008, 06:18 PM
We have a factory DVD on our 2002 Ody. I love the front controls and the whole integrated aspect. It is only used on long trips (3+ hrs) and usually only one video per day (usually Cars), not every trip to the store.

If you plan to make any long trips alone, the front load, front control is very convenient. I make copies of the DVDs just for the car that have only the movie on them so there are no menus to go through. Then I can just load one while driving. I regularly drive the 3hr trip to my parents' with just me and the kids, so this works very well for us. It was also covered under the warranty we got with the van since it was factory.

One downside to the factory unit I can think of, other than cost, is that if something happens to the control unit out of warranty, you are kind of stuck going with a Honda unit which are expensive. If you don't have the DVD controls on it, you can replace the factory radio with any unit from Circuit City, etc.

With the personal DVD players (not installed), you can put the screen on the front of a headrest for a rear-facing child. That would be really nice, even thought they are a projectile hazaard. DS2 (2 yrs 10 mos) is just getting to the age where he would watch a video, but he is still rear-facing. He can see the screen OK when I have him in the second row outboard, but he does have to really turn his head.

s7714
03-16-2008, 12:13 AM
My dealership offered me a better deal on an end of season Ody w/o a DVD player and then subsequently installed a post market one "for free" as part of the deal we worked up.

If I had to do it over again I would have willingly payed more money to buy an Ody with the manuf. installed DVD system. Technically speaking, the after market DVD player functions just fine. BUT, being able to control the DVD from the front seat would have made my life sooooo much easier on long car trips. I realize once my DDs are old enough, they'll be able to push the remote buttons to make things work on their own, but they still won't be big enough to reach up and change DVDs until they get a LOT bigger. IMO, if you have a choice, go for the factory installed version.

almostamom
03-16-2008, 04:36 PM
We have an 05 Odyssey with a factory installed DVD player. Love it! When it's just DS and me in the car, I can control it from the front. When we're on long trips I sit in the back with DS and can still control it.