PDA

View Full Version : Breast Pump Suggestion .. please!

atlbkk03
03-15-2008, 01:38 PM
I am trying to decide between the Medela In Style Advanced Pump and the Medela In Style Original Pump.. The advanced version is about $50 more expensive with an additional one touch let-down button. Should I go with it, or save $50 and go with the original version.

Has anyone tried both versions and would like to weigh in your opinions here?

Thanks in advance! :)

nupe
03-15-2008, 01:56 PM
And get the basic. I have the PISA. My friends have the PIS. I haven't tried the PIS. THe basic is better because you can have more control over the pumping. I rarely use the let down button.

vonfirmath
03-15-2008, 03:10 PM
Get the PISA. I have both and the Advanced works better. it is not JUSt the button (which I rarely use) but the advanced automatically changes speed and "Suction" at 2 minutes even when the button is not used. On the Basic, I am almost always at the top level on the knob and have nowhere else to go. On the Advanced, I've still got options to adjust it to be perfect for me. I have not "topped" it out.

vludmilla
03-15-2008, 04:54 PM
I used the PISA for exclusive pumping for 14 months. I used it as often as 10 times a day in the very beginning. I didn't use the let-down button but I also didn't think that I had less control than I needed. I bought my PISA from Hackley Healthcare and I got a very significant discount...it may have been more than $50. You may want to check them out. They have a website but I think you have to call for their prices since they are low.
Good luck.

tylersmama
03-15-2008, 06:06 PM
I bought my PISA from Hackley Healthcare and I got a very significant discount...it may have been more than $50. You may want to check them out. They have a website but I think you have to call for their prices since they are low.
Good luck.
You don't have to call them, but you do have to request a quote and they'll email it to you. Medela doesn't allow retailers to publish their prices, so you have to request quotes. It's a little annoying. I ordered mine from www.lactationcare.com (http://www.lactationcare.com), which at the time was a little bit cheaper than Hackley. I think I paid $220, free shipping and no sales tax. That was not quite two years ago. Lactation Care was wonderful, btw. They offer free lactation phone support to their customers.

FWIW, I had the PISA and didn't really care too much about the let-down button. It was ok, but if you truly can't find a better deal than $50 more than the regular PIS, I don't know if I would pay the $50 for it.

atlbkk03
03-16-2008, 11:09 AM
Any other opinions?

:)

mdb78
03-16-2008, 11:35 AM
I have the PIS. I never tried the PISA though.

Check with your insurance. Some moms had their insurance cover the cost of the pump or part of it.

daniele_ut
03-16-2008, 01:17 PM
I used the PISA to exclusively pump for DS for 8 months and pumped about 48oz a day with it. I don't have any experience with the original, but the PISA has survived round the clock use for DS and now I am using again 3 years later for pump once a day for DD who actually nurses.

baileygirl
03-16-2008, 04:57 PM
I have the PIS and PISA, one stays at home and one at work. I pump the same amounts using either pump, I think the PISA is a bit easier to use...but I don't know if that is worth the extra $50. One thing I do like about the PISA is the motor comes out easier of the bag. I was just on a business trip, and just brought the motor (along with the parts) and a larger purse. I believe the motor comes out of the PIS, but not as easily and I don't think it has the little case for it.

There is also a new Medela pump (I think it is called Freestyle or Freecycle) that I don't know anything about.

wellyes
03-16-2008, 07:04 PM
I've seen write-ups about the Freestyle. Seems like it's basically the same as the PISA, but is hands-free (basically, it has an attachment that hooks onto a maternity bra.) If all prices were the same, I'd get a Freestyle. But it's new and therefore expensive. I plan to just get a hands-free bra instead.

Best deal I've seen on a PIS is drugstore.com via eBates. The pump is $200, free shipping, no tax. As a new customer, I get a $10 off coupon (for a $50+ purchase). eBates gives 6% cash back, so the final price is $178.

tarahsolazy
03-16-2008, 08:23 PM
I have both.

I had the PIS with my DS, 4 years ago, and pumped at work for 14 months. I was very pleased and thought nothing could be better.

I used to think that the PISA just had the gimmick of the auto-cycling "let-down" button. The reps at medical meetings tried to sell me on the PISA, saying that it cycled much faster than the PIS and was more like a baby. Whatever.

I got a new pump when DD was little, my PIS was starting to have a little hitch in its giddy-up. The only one the medical supply place had was a PISA, so I got it.

I love it. For me, it is much more efficient. I pump faster, and its more comfortable. Like a PP said, I did remove the actual pump from the backpack for both of my pumps. I just carried them when necessary as the little pump unit in my bag, then the accessories separately. I love the idea of the Freestyle for that reason, but I'll never need another pump.

klwa
03-17-2008, 06:48 AM
I never tried the PISA, but used the PIS with DS with no problems. I never was able to get any good flow when I tried to vary the speeds/suction. Needed on the same level throughout or I'd get 1 ounce instead of 5-6. So having one that changed up automatically/ had a let down button wouldn't have really helped I don't think.