PDA

View Full Version : How much do you pay your cleaning person/service?

dotgirl
03-15-2008, 04:35 PM
After 2+ years of thinking about it, I've finally gotten off my duff and had a local service (not franchise - found on Angie's List) over for an estimate. I'm working on a big project at work, and with DH's travel schedule, plus the two Tasmanian devil's who currently pass for DD & DS, I really want to get someone in every other week to clean.

She looked around our house (3 bedrooms, 1.75 bath, office, unfinished basement that just needs sweeping) and estimated 6-8 hours for a deep clean (at $30 per man hour, that's $180-$240), and about $100 every other week for maintenance.

I'd really love to hear what other people pay for their cleaning person, particularly if you have a similar house to mine.

She did say that it might be slightly more/less for the every other week, and they'll know more once they've done the deep cleaning.

Also, I'm already struggling with the guilt about 'wasting' money on a cleaning person, so if you can help talk me out of that, it would be great.

TIA!

KBecks
03-15-2008, 04:42 PM
We pay $85 every two weeks. I don't remember what our "deep clean" was, I'm pretty sure it was under $200. We have a 4 BR, 1.5 BA and an unfinished basement that doesn't get cleaned. I should add that we're in the Midwest, it's a 3 person team, and they are insured.

dotgirl
03-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Wow, quick response! Thanks for the input.

The place we're looking at is insured/bonded - DH is kind of retentive about that sort of thing.

The deep clean price sounds right to me - I was honestly just surprised that the every other week price was only $100. But we live in Seattle, so I might just be used to everything being expensive.

daisymommy
03-15-2008, 04:56 PM
When we had people clean in the past, here in Northern Virginia, in our 3 level 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home, it was 2 people and it took them 2 hours at $75 per hour. So, $150 for a top to bottom clean. We had them once a month, and I did routine maintenance the rest of the month.

That said, if I could afford it, and I knew someone who would come twice a month for a total of $200, I would be a happy woman! :D

SnuggleBuggles
03-15-2008, 05:27 PM
3 bed/ 2 bath and I don't have them do anything in the basement...$80-90 whenever I need him for just a regular clean. For a spring clean like clean it would be around $200.

Beth

jenmcadams
03-15-2008, 05:30 PM
We have a 3000 sq foot house...3 bathrooms (although one is rarely used and doesn't take much to clean), 4 bedrooms (one that's a guest room), an office, basement playroom, etc., mix of carpet/slate/hardwood. We pay $85 for one (very efficient) woman to come for 3 hours and she does an awesome job. She does all the floors, cleans kitchen and bathrooms, changes linens and does some dusting. I have her come every two weeks generally...we used to have her once a week, but can't justify the expense any more. Occasionally, I'll pay her and extra $20-25 and have her stay and extra hour and focus on dusting the blinds, cleaning baseboards, etc.

kristenk
03-15-2008, 05:43 PM
We have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house, one level. A mother-daughter team come every two weeks and charge $55. They're usually here about 2 hours, maybe less. They are not insured/bonded.

kijip
03-15-2008, 05:46 PM
$100 every other week is very good for Seattle. Very good. We are starting to pay $40 every week for a woman to clean my mother's 1 bedroom apartment in Seattle and wash her towels and sheets. It works out to over $25 an hour, the place is small.

cvanbrunt
03-15-2008, 06:18 PM
Our cleaning lady charges twenty dollars an hour. She comes once a week for three hours. If she can put in more hours, she does. I won't try and talk you out of it. It's the best money we spend. DH and I both work full time and I have about an hour commute each direction. Today we went to lunch, ran errands, went to the Children's museum and out for pizza with the girls instead of cleaning the house. How can you beat that?

niccig
03-15-2008, 06:23 PM
$90 every other week. 1800 square feet. 2 bedrooms, really just one bathroom as the other is rarely used, kitchen, sweep , mop, towels, lines, some dusting. They do inside windows, inside fridge and they take the stove element tray thingos off to clean as well - I was totally surprised by these extras as previous cleaning people wouldn't do them. 3 people for just under 2 hours.

vludmilla
03-15-2008, 06:34 PM
MIL has one person come every week for $75 each time. It's a big house, 3 levels, 3 bathrooms, four bedrooms, etcetera. It can't be too dirty each time because only my MIL and FIL live there now although they do watch DD about 2-3 days a week for us.
We live in the NY metro area where everything is expensive so this seems like a decent deal.

spanannie
03-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I pay $130 weekly for a husband/wife couple to clean for about 4-5 hrs. My house is 4000 sq ft. Their original quote was $120, but I recently gave them a raise to $130. They are so good that they are worth every penny.

urquie
03-15-2008, 06:56 PM
on the eastside, a good price would be $85 for cleanings every other week for a slightly larger house (4 bed, 2 1/2 bath). it's not uncommon for a $100 estimate but $85 seems to get the job done fine (i'm pretty sure those are uninsured though).

i've been lucky enough to have a good job done for $75 every three weeks. most people won't do every three weeks, since it's hard to fit into a regular schedule, but it never hurts to ask. that's how i got hooked though... i was able to rationalize the expense a bit easier. we're up to every 2 weeks now and i love it (my old cleaners moved).

But we live in Seattle, so I might just be used to everything being expensive.

wellyes
03-15-2008, 07:47 PM
We have a woman who was referred by a friend. She charges $90 every two weeks, with $160 for the initial deep clean. If we wanted her to come weekly, it'd be $70, but I think twice a month is adequate. She uses her own vacuum, rags, etc but we stock the cleansers she uses.

I was stunned by how fantastic my house looked after the deep clean. Things I didn't even know were dirty - the tops of light fixtures, picture frames that had gotten dusty - now sparkle. And I'm finding it much easier to keep the house clean now that it's in such good condition.

Our house is smallish, under 1300 sq ft, but in an expensive area (Boston).

hillview
03-15-2008, 07:57 PM
We are just outside Boston. We have had the same person for 3 years. She cleans our 3 br/2.5 ba for 120 a week. Sometimes she comes alone and sometimes she comes with someone else. It takes her 6 (wo)man hours to clean (+/-) so it is about $20 an hour cash. I feel like that is pretty fair.
/hillary

elephantmeg
03-15-2008, 08:10 PM
I had a lady in today to do a deep clean prior to my c-section next week. It took her 5 hours to do a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath house (1200 SF) and she charged $15 an hour. The best $75 I have ever spent! It was great :) She really did EVERYTHING

gordo
03-15-2008, 08:12 PM
We live in the Chicago burbs. Have a 3 story townhouse - 3 bedrooms, 2 1/2 bathrooms, living room, dining room, kitchen and office. We pay $60 every two weeks. It is not a licensed/bonded place. It is a woman and her own service. Sometimes it is 2 people coming to clean, sometimes it is 4, just depends on the week.

Andrea S
03-15-2008, 08:37 PM
We have 3000 sq feet. I pay $85 every other week. They wash the 1st floor (all hardwood) by hand. They are 6 ladies plus the owner they are about an hour. I would give up eating before I give up my cleaning people.

jamesmom
03-15-2008, 08:56 PM
My cleaning person charges $20 per hour. I pay $60 per visit, twice a month. She dusts, vacuums, mop the floors, clean three bathrooms and the kitchen.

dotgirl
03-15-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks, everyone, for the great replies! It sounds like we're getting about an average deal, which is nice.

I actually feel silly - if I'd known it was only going to be $200 a month, I'd have gotten my bottom in gear two years ago!

WatchingThemGrow
03-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I would give up eating before I give up my cleaning people.

That is the funniest thing I've read all week!
I can only justify a cleaning person when I'm really, really pregnant or have Rotavirus. I've paid around $18/hour for one woman to clean JUST the kitchen and bathrooms for 3 hours. One woman who comes makes the kitchen look new. When she couldn't come and sent a substitute, the sub made the bathrooms sparkle. I want to alternate having them back just to make those rooms look new again. Can't wait to be pregnant again just for that reason.

ahrimie
03-15-2008, 11:08 PM
i think if you can get someone for $20/hr, that is very cheap. I think the going rate is closer to $30/hr. my husband hated, hated with a passion, paying someone that kind of money.. but i think it is VERY worth it. just make sure you keep your valuables tucked away. i was not so smart about that and now my very nice, diamond stud earrings are gone :(