PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE: ISO a STURDY Back Pack Diaper Bag

MamaMolly
03-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Hi Mamas, well after buzzing around my local mall like a nut and going through every bag at LL Bean, PBK, Nordie's, etc etc I decided on the sling style bag at PBK and I really love it! It is the perfect size for me and I really like the bright red color. (I hadn't been too sure at first!) In a perfect world I would have a few more pockets, but other than that it is really great. Thanks for everyone's help!

Molly
Help Oh great diaper bag Gurus! I need a STURDY backpack style bag, insulated pottle pocket preferred! I have settled on a style (backpack) and I'm having the darndest time getting one that doesn't tear up.

The first one I bought started coming apart at the seams after a trip through the washer. I bought it on sale at BRU so I chalked it up to getting what I paid for. Now my second (different brand) bag from BRU is tearing up after a WEEK!! A WEEK! I'm so freaking annoyed! DH paid $40 for it, and compared to some other brands I know it isn't much, but HONESTLY a WEEK???

So help me spend my money, ladies! What are your recommendations for a sturdy, durable backpack diaper bag? And in a perfect world it would have an insulated bottle/sippy pocket.

Melarina
03-15-2008, 07:12 PM
We really like our Land's End backpack diaper bag. Although ours doesn't have the kind of insulated bottle pocket you describe, it has held up really well so far. And it's so roomy with tons of different spaces to stash things. To keep a bottle chilled, we've attached the Playtex insulated single bottle tote and that has worked pretty well. HTH!

MamaKath
03-15-2008, 07:19 PM
The favorites around here tend to be $$$ like the JuJuBe, SkipHop, Dadgear/Daisygear, and Baby Sherpa. I have the Baby Sherpa and it is fantastic! It has an insulated food compartment as well as an insulated bottle pouch and mesh water bottle holder. It is super comfy to wear also. I have the larger size, but there is also the Sherpa Shorthaul which is smaller. I really like it for long outings.

Lands End used to make a great diaper backpack for a reasonable price, but they no longer are carrying them. Apparently they are no longer making them at all. You might be able to find one on Ebay.

That said, a good Jansport/Landsend/LLBean backpack will wash well and work for much less money. You can purchase a diaper bag set for the insulated bottle holder, dirty duds bag, and changing pad pretty cheap (I just one at TJ Maxx for less than $10) to add to the bag. I have had Jansport, Landsend, and LLBean backpacks and all wash fantastically!

Melbel
03-15-2008, 07:23 PM
We also love our Lands End diaper back pack. It has lasted for over 6 years now and has been washed numerous times. You can monogram for $5.

heatherlynn
03-15-2008, 08:28 PM
I have an EUC Baby Sherpa Short Haul for sale. Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested.

pastrygirl
03-16-2008, 10:22 AM
I love my JuJuBe Packabe! The quality is incredible -- so much better than other brands. This thing will never fall apart! :)

gatorsmom
03-27-2008, 12:17 PM
I second the Jujube Packabe. I stuff this thing! I currently have a 2 yr oldand twins in diapers so I always pack extra clothes for them as well as different sized diapers. and since I'm nursing I have snacks and a water bottle for me, extra juice boxes, occasionally sippy cups, for my older 2 boys and it all fits! I wear it as a backpack to keep both hands free, but DH wears it on his shoulder. the outside pockets are elastacized (sp?) and insulated and the whole thing is wipeable.

Before this I had 2 Petunia Picklebottom backpacks which were even larger and more comfortable to wear (since they are soft fabric) but the outside material - which was beautiful- was also very delicate and hard to keep clean.

For the money, the Jujube is a great bag.

elektra
03-27-2008, 01:29 PM
I had a DadGear backpack and while I did like it, I just love the quicksilver backpack I randomly saw and bought at our local baby shop. It has 2 insulated pockets, 1 for bottles, drinks, and a front one for anything else.
It stands up on it's own too, and it's very sturdy which is part of the reason why I prefer it to the DadGear one. DadGear was a bit flimsy.
And it really looks just like a regular backpack which my husband loves. We brought it to Disneyland last week and it worked out great.
I thought about a Sherpa too, and I know you don't have to do this but it seems like a lot of the pockets have stuff sort of hanging out and visible. I like my bags to be more contained or all the way zipped up or something.