PDA

View Full Version : Alek does not want a new baby

KBecks
03-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Who has been through this, and what did you do? He's 3.5. We have not talked about it much at all yet. He saw me come home with a mobile from CL and asked if it was for John and I told him it's for a new baby.

Ceepa
03-16-2008, 09:00 AM
I found it comes and goes in waves. Just give it time. The enthusiasm will be there some days and other days not so much.

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2008, 09:43 AM
It's so far away too that I bet that he is having a hard time with the reality of it. You might find that his feelings change when he can actually feel the baby move. I would probably sit down with him and just ask him how he is feeling. maybe if you can pinpoint something that is bothering him you can tackle it?

Beth

ast96
03-16-2008, 10:09 AM
There is no reason to talk about a new baby now with a 3.5 year old. I would wait until you are fully round and obviously pregnant, maybe around August? Then you can start talking about the baby, when it is more of a reality to a child that age.

My advice to you is not to play up the whole "big brother" thing. Let your child come to that by himself. He didn't choose to be a big brother and he didn't ask you to have another baby, so he will probably accept it more if you just put it out there that you are going to have another baby but he is still your baby -- they will all be your babies -- and you will love and take care of him just the same as always, that will not change. If he gets into the whole big brother concept, then play it up, but sometimes kids just want to know they don't have to have that role foisted upon them. Sometimes they just want to keep being your babies.

My middle son has really taken to the concept that he gets to be both a big brother AND a little brother. He's the luckiest one in the house. ;)

Good luck, but don't worry. It will all work out and you have TONS of time to get him used to the idea. My kids really didn't even know I was pregnant until I was deep in my second trimester.

kedss
03-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Hi-

We have a DS who is 4 and a few months, a few days after we told him about the new baby coming he said he didn't want babies coming to his house. He hasn't said that since, and he went to the ultrasound with us so he got to see the first pictures of his sister. I showed him his ultrasound pictures that are in his baby book before we went and he likes to look at his baby book since we've done that.

I've been going through the old baby clothes and stuff, and he has been "helping".

I'm in the same boat, not knowing exactly how thigns will go once she's here, but so far DS is doing pretty well. :)

hugs