PDA

View Full Version : Do you recommend your crib? From 1st time mom-to-be.

jlk166
03-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I'm due in June and have started my crib research. Am interested in knowing what cribs people recommend. Thanks!

overcome
03-16-2008, 01:28 PM
I love mine. It does convert to toddler bed and full size bed. The side rail goes down, which I love!! Most convertibles don't have that.

It is a Simmons but I can't remember the name of the line....I don't think they make the particular style anymore, but here is a link to their site.
http://www.simmonskids.com/babiesToddlers/furniture.cfm

I know Simmons received a very good rating in the Baby Bargains book I was using at the time.

HTH

Piglet
03-16-2008, 02:21 PM
Honestly, I don't have a strong feeling about our cribs. They both do the job they have to do. My parents have a super cheap crib from Wal-mart and it works fine too (although it squeaks a bit when raising the rail, but we don't raise/lower it anymore since DS2 climbs in and out of it on his own). I can't think of anything that would make me love a crib. It is a piece of furniture that does what it has to do, just like my bed.

swampnurse
03-16-2008, 06:34 PM
I am happy with my Babysdream Serenity crib and so is a friend who has it. It is a stationary sided crib so the sides do not drop. This does make it very solid though and it feels and looks like a better quality piece of furniture than it really is. It is decent quality, but it is made of pine and we are wood snobs since my husband builds a lot of furniture. It was certainly worth the $269 we spent on it and converts to a toddler bed too. It is on it's second child and looks brand new. I'd buy it again especially for the price.

jjordan
03-16-2008, 07:43 PM
I love my crib. It is an Alta Baby that I got at a local boutique for a great price because it was the floor model. It has very simple styling and a drawer underneath where I keep the extra crib sheets and blankets. It is guaranteed to last through 5 kids or 25 years, whichever comes first. It does not convert into anything but we didn't want a convertible crib because we hope to keep babies in it for a while! ;) We have used it for almost 2 years now and it is just as solid as it ever was. And I put that rail up and down several times a day, so we haven't been easy on it.

I've heard that light wood doesn't show wear as easily so you might want to keep that in mind. Some babies/toddlers get their furniture pretty scuffed up pretty quick!

Jill

WatchingThemGrow
03-16-2008, 08:00 PM
We have a Stanley Young America Contentment Crib, and it has been great! I did call the company for an extra teething rail, which they sent promptly. I also like that we were able to get furniture that matched it initially. We just took delivery of the "big girl" bed from the same line. Great quality for the price, IMO.

KBecks
03-16-2008, 09:26 PM
We have a Legacy by ChildCraft and I like it very much. It's a simple design, has a drawer, quiet side, hidden hardware and very sturdy. Ours was in stock at a local USA baby and reasonably priced.

mommy2amelia
03-16-2008, 09:44 PM
I couldn't be happier w/mine. It's Ma Marie from Stanley/Young America. It's totally not what we were expecting to buy (cuz it's black w/cherry trim) but once we saw it we knew it was it. http://common.csnstores.com/common/products/YAS/YAS8630_m.jpg

ahrimie
03-16-2008, 11:09 PM
i'm due in may.. and just bought a munire crib and dresser (per the BBB advice). it seems really sturdy and well made. i also like the adult furniture look.

my advice though, is order soon (like, now)!! you just never know with shipping times or possible delays. when i was in the store buying mine, a woman had ordered her set in september (her baby came in early february) and she still has no crib! =(

i'm hoping and praying i get mine soon.