PDA

View Full Version : Durango, CO

almostamom
03-16-2008, 03:08 PM
DH would like for us to spend our vacation in Durango this summer. DS loves trains, so we'll likely being taking a train ride while we're there, but what other activities are there. We'll be staying for a week.

TIA,
Linda

citymama
03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
We love Durango! We were there 3 days, and mostly just took our DD hiking in the beautiful San Juan mountains. There are great kids stores on the main street downtown (I forget the name) which rent everything you might need when traveling with a kid, and have an amazing selection of gently used kids clothing for sale. There's also a terrific rec center, open to the public, with the most amazing kiddie pool. Enjoy your trip!

StantonHyde
03-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Durango is a great town. Hit the chamber of commerce internet site. There is at least one Best Western suites type hotel--good for extra room with DC. The train ride is LONG--at least 3 hours. Take the bus back!! Trust me--its the best thing to do. You can visit Mesa Verde National Park which is truly one of the BEST places to see Ancestral Puebloan culture. You could go up to Ouray or over to Telluride. I think there may be floating or rafting (floating with young kids). I am sure there is horseback riding. We did 5 days in the area in the fall and really enjoyed it. (no DC tho)

AddiesMom
03-19-2008, 06:19 AM
My BIL lived there for years (worked at the Hilton Garden Inn) and my SIL took her 3 kids there for 2 weeks in 2006. At the time they were 6, 9 and 11. They had a great time! I am not sure of specific things they did, but if you decide to go there let me know and I'll call her.

todzwife
04-05-2008, 11:02 PM
I know this is a WAY old post but we LOVE Durango. If your child likes trains, a great time is to go when they do the Day out with Thomas (in June). Get hotels early though, the good ones sell out fast!

LMK if you have any questions. We live in Farmington and go to Durango a LOT.

citymama
04-07-2008, 02:47 AM
I also remembered after posting my previous reply that Durango has a great kids' cafe downtown - just for tikes, with kid sized chairs and tables, toys, kid-friendly snacks - a fun place to spend a little time!