PDA

View Full Version : Need help with newborn feeding (LONG)

cmonbaby
03-16-2008, 06:09 PM
I hope I remember to write everything in this thread because I have so much on my mind that I think I need help with.

DD is my second baby and she is a very efficient nurser. Only takes approx. 5 minutes to feed and usually only takes one side at each feeding and then she falls asleep so sound that I can't easily wake her to get her to switch sides. If I do get her to switch, she doesn't last more than a couple of minutes on the second side.

She is 2 weeks old today by the way.

She is very, very difficult to burp and usually only burps when we're repositioning her. I am embarassed to say that I am a NICU nurse and jokingly claim to "burp babies for a living" so I feel that my technique is good. She's just a tough one to burp. On the other hand, she is incredibly gassy from the other end and has those breastfeeding explosive diaper fillers. Her stools are yellow & seedy (not green implying she gets too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk). BUT I know that I have forceful letdown as she often coughs and pulls away from the breast. This happened with my son too. She is gaining weight nicely so I know she is getting what she needs nutritionally (at least I think so according to our ped.)

She also seems uncomfortable and gets really squirmy like her belly is bothering her when she is awake. I know she is hungry when she wakes because she gets the hiccups right before her feeding... isn't that weird? I've never seen that with a baby before. Definitely after a feeding when not burping properly, but hours afterwards??? I'm stumped on that one.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I'm concerned that maybe she has some kind of reflux issue going on or maybe an intolerance of some kind. I have read a lot on Kellymom and some information leads me to think that this is okay for her and manageable but then there's that RN part of me that is somewhat concerned that I'm not doing what I could be for her.

Anyone have any BTDT advice? I really just want her to be more comfortable if that's possible. Please excuse the randomness of my writing as I am probably suffering from new baby exhaustion with a toddler at home too!

Tondi G
03-16-2008, 10:51 PM
I think you should be attempting to get her to nurse on both sides... at least for a few more weeks just to get your supply established. If you have a forceful let down you might want to attempt to get things going and when DD sputters/chokes unlatch and catch it in a cup or in a towel... then put her back on.

My little guy was like yours at a week and my ped said he thought we should really try to get him nursing on both sides. I had to change his diaper between sides to get him to rouse enough to feed on the second side.

You might consider trying some gripe water.... it helps with the gas and hiccups! I was amazed that it really did take the hiccups away about 90% of the time! I bought the Wellements brand from Whole Foods.

Hang in there... those first weeks are tough.

SnuggleBuggles
03-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Hmmm...I was thinking everything sounded pretty normal to me for that age baby. I never nursed on both sides with ds2 b/c he seemed content after just one (except during that 3 week growth spurt).

Newborns just seem to have some digestive ticks. They have the immature esophagus that makes them more prone to spit up. They have some tightness on the other end that can make it sound like they are struggling to poop but really they are just learning. Hiccups happen a lot. I'm not really sure I'd be thinking reflux but keep an eye on things.

To me it sounds like you are doing a fine job. Little babies just need to eat a lot and some aren't good burpers. :) They get the hang of things in not that long.

I don't know anything about overactive let down except maybe you could try doing a little hand expressing before latching baby on?

GL!

Beth

elephantmeg
03-17-2008, 08:55 AM
It sounds to me like everything is normal. I would not switch breasts since I'm pretty sure the resources say for overactive letdown to only do 1 breast at a time. I think she'll grow out of the rest of it. And I totally understand the nurse angle-I've BTDT!