PDA

View Full Version : Broken washing machine!!!!!!!!!

kcampbell
03-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Ok so we have a basic Kenmore washing machine that is probably 7.5 years old. It stopped working in Feb-wouldn't spin so out comes the repairman (who hardly speaks English) but says we need a new safety lid switch and it will be @200$ to fix. I ask quite a few questions and try to see what he is talking about and in the end we get it fixed (like what are the other choices for a family of four with 2 little ones?) so on we go for about 3 weeks and then magically it stops working again same problem fills, agitates and then won't spin. Out comes the same repairman who now says we need a new "main harness" and that will run about another $200. I am so peeved! What would you do? I don't trust this guy from as far as I could throw him! I have called the repair company and complained it just seems really really fishy to me that we could magically need two parts for over $200 each within 3 weeks of eachother when we have never had a problem before! Of course DH thinks this is wacky too but wants me to deal with it! AGGGGGHHHH he is an engineer and we are not uneducated but between the two of us neither of us has the time or energy to fix it ourselves if we even knew what the heck to do!

egoldber
03-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Well, you could have a dud or one that has just lived out its lifespan. While some washers last a really long time, I think that 8-10 years is pretty average these days. I wouldn't spend $200 more to fix it though. I'd put that $200 towards a new washer.

Kungjo
03-17-2008, 12:45 PM
At the rate things are going for you (1) repairman that doesn't speak english, (2) 2nd part broken in 3 weeks, and (3) you feeling that there's something fishy going on, I would look into buying a new washing machine. Yes, they are expensive, but to plop down $400 total to fix it and then have the chance that something else will go wrong would really suck. Hugs!

kcampbell
03-17-2008, 01:45 PM
I am still waiting to find out what the repairman has to say!

supercalifragilous
03-17-2008, 03:09 PM
IME and my parents' experience, Sears repair is all about putting a band-aid on your problem so they can continue to charge you for repeated repairs. They never actually FIX the root of the problem.

I've had and heard of only bad issues with Sears repair so I will NEVER be using them in the future, nor can I recommend them. That's why I'm really hesitant to buy a Kenmore unless I know it's received great reviews since I know I'll never have it repaired. They're total sheisters!

hellokitty
03-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Is there any way to call a different repair company for their opinion? All kenmore appliances are actually other brands (ie: maytag, frigidaire, GE, etc.), but kemore, "hires" these companies to make a product for them and then puts, "kenmore" on it. Like my front loader is a frigidaire, I have seen the same one at sears, but it says kenmore on it. So, when my brother shopped around for a front loader, I recommended the one we had, and since the kenmore version was a better price, my brother got it... it's basically the same thing, made by frigidaire, but it just says kenmore.

My bil works for frigidaire. He's the one who explained this to us. I honestly had no clue before that, that kenmore appliances are just other brands with the kenmore brand stamped on it. If you can figure out which company actually made your machine and call a repairman from THAT company, I bet he/she will be able to help you and be more honest with you. I'm sorry you're having washing machine woes. I'd be pissed too if my machine started acting up after 8 yrs. Ours is about the same age and I'm so afraid it's going to break down on us. However, we have really used it a LOT (cloth diapers plus regular laundry), I think we got our $'s worth, but I HATE how appliances these days are such low quality compared to appliances 20+ yrs ago and just don't last like they used to. I think that a lot of it has to do with corporate america's poor ethics, but that's another gripe for another day!

kcampbell
03-17-2008, 03:46 PM
Just to clear it up, it is not a Sears repairman-learned that lesson when the dryer (Kenmore) went on the fritz and they charge some astronomical fee just for the service visit. This is an appliance repair company that we used when again a Kenmore refrigerator had problems. I thought they were efficient and great the first time around, probably would have been happy even the second time if the $200 fixed the problem but the fact that we still have a nonfunctioning washing machine just really makes me mad! I agree with the PP that appliances just are not made the way they used to be! My ILs have a refrigerator that they have had for like 30 years and it is still kicking (out in the garage). So annoyed.........

ha98ed14
03-17-2008, 04:10 PM
I just wanted to throw out there the possibilty that it really could be a different problem. Did the repair guy say if the two were related? Not sure how long washers are supposed to last, but my mom has had her Kenmore W&D for 10+ years. But it could be that it is just a fluke and both parts went out at the same time or maybe one part was weak and put pressure on the other so it broke sooner than it would have otherwise. I dunno. I'm not a repair-person, but this happened on a car I had a couple yrs ago...

niccig
03-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Can you call a different repair company and get their opinion? The company I use has a charge for a quote, but if they do they work, they don't charge the quote - and the quote isn't a lot of money either.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-17-2008, 07:52 PM
oh boy tell me about it. Ours went belly up last summer. My suggestion is to save your money,go on craigslist and get a new washing machine. We were able to score a new washer/dryer set for $100 within a week of our washing machine busting. Good Luck.

MamaMolly
03-17-2008, 10:23 PM
OK, this is just FREAKY. Our washer is doing the exact same thing. And the repair company has non-English speaking phone receptionists, non-English speaking repairman.

Our landlord has this repair/replace insurance where they come out for $85 to fix her major appliances, or if they can't be fixed then they supposedly replace them. Welllllll, it has been about 3 weeks of the run-around. He has come out no less than 5 times and the washer STILL doesn't work. That was 5 lovely days of watching this guy's pants slide down and being treated to a full moon...5 days spread over 2 weeks, BTW. Because they don't come when they say they will, nor do they call. Then they give me attitude when I call to find out where they are. It stinks!

Our issue is that the 'transmission' is bad and so now we are waiting on the insurance company to be in touch because we are looking at a replacement.

I can get the washer to spin by using my finger to press the button on the lid and then I give the drum a push to get it going. It is so stupid I have been living like this for nearly a month!

Anyway, I hope it gets better for both of us really soon. :)

notasherpa
03-17-2008, 10:42 PM
I had a similar problem with my Kenmore over Thanksgiving. Fortunately I have a fantastic repair man (he does this as side jobs and he is totally eye candy to boot). The first time he came over was to replace a switch; when the problem resurfaced about three weeks later he stopped by to reset the switch. I don't remember the logistics, but at first when I couldn't get the machine to spin I could jump start it by pushing down on the lid.

I'd try to get another or more independent repair man. If your problem is like mine, the machine isn't a loss yet - it's just that darn switch.

Maybe ask around for all your friends to see if someone has a favorite home handyman. Mine has been worth his weight in gold for his ability to diagnos home problems and repair them.

Good luck!

american_mama
03-19-2008, 12:32 AM
Our old washing machine broke either once or twice, and DH fixed it himself. He is a so-so level of handiness and rarely puts aside his job for household tasks, but on this occasion, he did and fixed it for the cost of a $12 part. Some friends had a similar story. I will try to find the website he used, but you could always google.

Once the water full sensor didn't engage (the resulting flood was memorable) and maybe the agitator didn't work another time.