PDA

View Full Version : OT long shot - freestanding broom closet

alexsmommy
03-17-2008, 03:33 PM
I have an unusual need. We live in a 100 year old home so there is almost no closet space. We just redid our half-bath which is right off the kitchen. I had planned to have a small broom closet built in the corner for our brooms, mops, bucket and other cleaning tools since there is absolutely no where else convenient to store them. The previous homeowners just had gripper hooks with the mop/broom in the open and I hate that. Long story short, I just about had a heart attack at the quote from one of those closet places to build one in an espresso finish to match our new vanity. So now I am on a quest to find a small (footprint just has to be big enough to store a bucket at the bottom) freestanding espresso broom closet. I found one in white online, but you ladies always manage to find things I can't. TIA if anyone can help.

C99
03-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Check IKEA. They have a number of armoires, etc. in unfinished pine that can be stained to match what you have.

citymama
03-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Did you ever find one? We would love one as well for our tiny apartment!

alexsmommy
03-25-2008, 05:07 PM
Check IKEA. They have a number of armoires, etc. in unfinished pine that can be stained to match what you have.

Too funny - the only possibility I've found online is an Ikea one. I'm hoping the one I like comes unfinished. Great minds and all ;)
I'm meeting a friend there this week to check it out.

kali
03-26-2008, 01:16 AM
I feel your pain. We also live in an old house with weird or limited storage options.

Doesn't the cabinet company that manufactures the vanity make a tall cabinet? If not, I suggest buying something at Ikea that doesn't match--that looks like it's own standalone piece. I think even if you can match the color, it will be obvious that the pieces don't "go together" and a different, but complementary finish might look better/more interesting anyway.

alexsmommy
03-28-2008, 09:33 PM
Did you ever find one? We would love one as well for our tiny apartment!

Ikea has a great closet system (Pax) that you can customize that I thought might work. Unfortunately, the size I need is one of the only ones that doesn't come in the brown/black color that would match the vanity in the bathroom. It does have a closet that does not have a stabilizing shelf, which makes it perfect as a broom closet. I am holding out hoping that since they just added the brown/black finish to the line, that hopefully the one I need will follow. Gottal love Ikea!

american_mama
04-08-2008, 10:31 PM
IKEA also has a high cabinet for the bathroom that definitely has the height, but is also quite narrow, like this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S89824046.
It might work. You can get one long door or a half door and a bunch of drawers, as I recall, and the doors comes in different styles. You can also get shorter feet for the cabinet or taller ones. Ours is one long white door, works great in our bathroom.

Just a tip, at our IKEA, they did a horrible job of displaying and listing this item in the bathroom department, and the salesperson (who really wanted to help us) originally thought it didn't exist and said her department always gets the shaft. I have no idea whether that is a common thing or not, but if you think it might work for you yet it doesn't seem to be available, make 110% sure that that's really true before you give up.

Also, doesn't Closetmaid make anything that would work, even if it's low on the style front? I have seen utility cupboards from them that are plain but tall. Their website is frustrating, but if you look at some of their fancy photos of various set-ups, it looks like they have some tall cabinets.

Lastly, if you can only find what you need in white, you might consider painting it a color close to what you want. It won't show any real or fake wood grain, but might be acceptable. I asked a question here once (in Crafts, I think) about whether you can paint put-together-furniture and several people said yes. Use a primer for a glossy surface. I plan to do it soon for a bookcase I bought at Target.

Here's a plain one in Oak with two shelves, only one adjustable. I don't know if that means the piece is not stable if you remove both shelves. http://www.sauder.com/furniture/product.asp?p=955
And a more stylish one in white, in case you want to try painting it. Not sure how you'd paint the shutters though. http://www.sauder.com/furniture/product.asp?p=782

Here's a possibility in espresso, if the tall cabinet portion is tall enough and if there aren't shelves to get in the way:
http://www.target.com/Chatham-Linen-Cabinet-Espresso/dp/B000PIMEQ0/ref=sc_ri_4/601-4287309-9740936