PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever replaced sliding closet doors?

sarahsthreads
03-17-2008, 03:56 PM
With something else? Like bi-fold?

Will they be more or less kid-friendly? I'm slightly worried about pinched fingers, but I suppose sliding doors could cause those too. DD can't open her closet doors at all, so I've been folding (and cramming) her play dresses into her dresser and since she's getting bigger her clothes are getting bigger and I can't fit nearly so much into her dresser drawers anymore!

DD's room has a fabulous closet organizer that goes completely unused (except to store her extra sheets and blankets and to hide things I don't want her getting to) because it's just too hard to reach the center area. And future DD's room has the same setup. They're the only two bedroom closets with sliding doors in the house. The master bedroom has a (minuscule) walk-in closet and my craft room/guest room has a tiny closet with just a door.

Would it look weird to change them to bi-folds? I'm thinking the molded raised panel doors (even though the room doors are just flat) would look better than louvered. Are there even any other options than those?

Anyway, before I bring this up to DH (who will strongly resist but eventually go along with it because I'm just that charming) I want to know if this is even a good idea!

Thanks!
Sarah :)

P.S. I just realized I use parentheses far too much... :D

Happy 2B mommy
03-17-2008, 04:23 PM
Have you considered just taking down the doors and putting up curtains? I used a spring rod and have curtains that match the ones on the windows. Bifold doors pinch, too. I think it looks cute in a kids room and it's way cheaper than changing out the doors.

Kerri

ThreeofUs
03-17-2008, 04:28 PM
ITA with Kerri. Curtains look great in kids' rooms - and they allow for more light and air movement around clothes, as well.

sarahsthreads
03-17-2008, 06:54 PM
I think with DD's current fears about her under-bed area being spooky, curtains would be a mistake. Maybe if she'd had them originally, kwim?

But I bet it would look really cute!

Sarah :)

khm
03-17-2008, 08:44 PM
Go check out Home Depot or Lowes, I saw some type of replacement bi-fold closet doors there. We were looking for regular doors so I didn't pay too much attention, but I definitely remember it was to change existing doors, etc.

dr mom
03-18-2008, 12:40 PM
We pulled down the sliding closet doors in our house because I can't stand them and they kept falling off the track - wanted to replace with bi-fold doors, but our door openings are a non-standard size, and custom replaements were too spendy. So, curtains for us! Total cost $20, including the tension spring rod and the shower curtain rings to hang them. DS doesn't seem to mind, and can get to his toys and clothes much more easily now.

deenass
03-18-2008, 12:58 PM
"Standard" sliding doors fit in a different size opening than "standard" (the ones you can buy at a DIY home improvement store) bi-fold doors - so be sure to check the openings on your closets.

We learned this the hard way (expensive) way when we replaced our closet doors - we ended up having to hire someone because each bi-fold door needed to be cut by about 1/8".