PDA

View Full Version : @#$%* chicken from Whole Foods- twice now!

JTsMom
03-17-2008, 04:53 PM
DH and I have recently started making the 40 minute trek to Whole Foods every weeend to do our shopping for the week. I often buy the big family pack of chicken breasts, then freeze them. We went last night, and I pulled them out of the fridge today to make for dinner, and they STINK like rotten eggs. This is the second time in two months. Now I'm going to have to make a trip to a second store for chicken in the future. I am fuming right now.

SnuggleBuggles
03-17-2008, 05:01 PM
That bites. Next time just go to the butcher counter and have them wrap up some just cut stuff rather than buy it from the case. They are usually willling to do things like that. 3 years ago we bought our Easter ham there and we cut into and it was gray! It smelled of so people ate some but it wasn't good. No one was happy. At least we only had to drive 10 minutes to get to WF and not 2 hours! They actually gave my ILs a refund on the ham.

Beth

tylersmama
03-17-2008, 05:16 PM
:yeahthat:

Their customer service is usually excellent. I bought a pair of Robeez for DS there, and got them home only to discover that someone else had apparently swapped out the 12-18 month pair that was supposed to be in the package for a used 6-12 month pair and then returned them. Nice. :irked: They gave me my money back without asking any questions. I'm sure they would like to know that there may be a problem!

ThreeofUs
03-17-2008, 05:18 PM
What a PITA. I hope you've called them, though, because (1) they need to know their chicken is going bad and (2) they will put your name down and make sure you are happy when you get there.

I've had trouble with several items bought from WF, but they've always made it right (and usually overcompensated me).

bethie_73
03-17-2008, 07:12 PM
Yep I got bad milk from them (which stinks because there was a long time before the exp. date) and they did a return no problem.

vludmilla
03-17-2008, 07:22 PM
I love WF but having said that, I had problems twice with their soy creamer. I bought it on two separate occasions and found out when I got home that the expiration dates had passed. I checked the dates after I poured some lumpy creamer into my coffee. Not so nice. Now, you could say I should have checked the dates but they aren't supposed to keep them on the shelf past the exiration date. When I brought them in for a return, they were very gracious about it.

Moneypenny
03-18-2008, 11:13 AM
I've had several problems with WF items. They always made it right, but I don't even go there any more. I don't have time for that!

Kungjo
03-18-2008, 01:14 PM
That sucks. WF is not cheap. I would at least mention it to the management next time you're in the store.

We bought some fish there one day and when we got ready to cook it that night, it stunk. DH took it back and they refunded with no problems, plus they mentioned it to the manager to let them know that the seafood guy sold us some spoiled fish.

JTsMom
03-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Oh believe me, we called! Between both times, we're talking about almost $40 worth of chicken!

It just really frustrates me b/c now, even though I took time away from the one family day we had this week to plan everything for the week and shop, I'm still going to have to go again. Plus, with what we pay for groceries there- mind you, because we want to eat more healthy foods- you'd think we could buy meat that wouldn't make us sick!

They did give us our money back the first time with no problems, and they said they had been having problems with their distributors, but were changing. In the time between, I bought more chicken, and it was fine. Then this week we're back to the bad chicken. I really wonder if it's a problem with their case or something, which makes me nervous about everything else I buy there. I'll definitely have a longer convo with the manager when I go back this weekend. (They told us just to throw out the chicken and bring the receipt back, so I'm not making a special trip).

It also really bothers me that someone who wasn't paying much attention might have served that to their kids who could have gotten really sick. I'm really uptight when it comes to food safety, and I know how sick you can get from something like that.

chlobo
03-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Wow, you don't shop in Bedford, MA do you? Everyone I know has gotten bad meat there, including myself. I always get the stuff in the butcher case. Never from the prepackaged stuff.

JTsMom
03-20-2008, 07:47 AM
No, this store is near Atlanta.