PDA

View Full Version : How long to recover from sinus infection?

bubbaray
03-19-2008, 12:33 AM
:( Title says it all. I have been prescribed antibiotics, ventolin and Flonase. Took first round of antibiotics tonight at 7pm, am to take them 3x/day. Will I feel better for Easter weekend?!?!?! I feel like poop!

TIA

elaineandmichaelsmommy
03-19-2008, 01:21 AM
The last time I had one the antibiotics started giving relief after the first dose. But after the second was when I really felt the relief. Good luck.

traumarn
03-19-2008, 03:29 AM
you should be doing/feeling better in 1-2days. just be sure you finish ALL the abx. you are officially contagious for 24hrs.
remember: lots of water/gatorade and hand washing!!! also change your toothbrush, and wash your pj's and bed linen within 48hrs of getting sick(anyone/anytime)- this will help prevent re-exposure to the virus/bug.
when you have illness where you are not on an abx - like a cold, for exmple, do the above every 48 hrs until you are better- you don't have to throw the toothbrush out- just set it aside for 10days- the virus don't live that long
good luck!!!!!

ThreeofUs
03-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Should be soon! Hope you're feeling better by now.

Just wanted to add: Watch out for any continuing drainage that doesn't feel right or that is miscolored, as well as pain. Some sinus infections lately are resistant to typical treatments.

ellies mom
03-19-2008, 11:01 AM
Both times I had a sinus infection, it took several days to feel better. I caught this one sooner than I did the first time so I actually felt worse the next day even though I started the abx the night before. I would hope that by Sunday, you should be feeling quite a bit better but maybe not all the way.

bubbaray
03-19-2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks ladies.

I had no idea I was contagious! ?!?!?!? Everyone in the house is sick, hopefully the rest of them just have colds. We've been sick for 2 months now, its getting OLD.

Last year, just before I had DD#2, I had a massive SI. It took 2w of antibiotics to knock that one out and I didn't feel better until the end. Sigh. This is a 4-day weekend for us and DH wanted to go away. Ugh.

pinkmomagain
03-19-2008, 11:28 AM
I can't remember how long it took to feel some relief, but I can tell you that with my last sinus infection it took two rounds of antibiotics to knock it out completely. From what I understand, this is not at all uncommon.

jhrabosk
03-19-2008, 12:27 PM
I can't remember how long it took to feel some relief, but I can tell you that with my last sinus infection it took two rounds of antibiotics to knock it out completely. From what I understand, this is not at all uncommon.

I've heard a couple of times this season that there's growing doubt about whether or not antibiotics are effective for sinus infections at all. Depending on how many days total you were on it, it's possible that the infection just worked itself out.

That said, I've have taken them for sinuses in the past and I usually feel relief in a day or two.

Last year, my ENT also encouraged me to do a sinus rinse twice a day to help clear out the gunk. It helps SO much. This is the particular one that I use (http://tinyurl.com/375zwx (http://tinyurl.com/375zwx)), but there are all different versions you can find in the drugstore or a natural foods store.

Hope you feel better soon! I feel like I was sick for almost 2 months straight this winter...luckily (I guess) DH and DD never really got anything.

ellies mom
03-19-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks ladies.

I had no idea I was contagious! ?!?!?!? Everyone in the house is sick, hopefully the rest of them just have colds. We've been sick for 2 months now, its getting OLD.

Last year, just before I had DD#2, I had a massive SI. It took 2w of antibiotics to knock that one out and I didn't feel better until the end. Sigh. This is a 4-day weekend for us and DH wanted to go away. Ugh.

From what I read, the sinus infection itself isn't contagious but whatever "sparked" your sinus infection could be. So everyone in your family could have the same thing but you might be the only person to get a sinus infection.

Our family was sick for ages this winter too. It got really old. The sinus infection was definitely the last straw for me but fortunately as it cleared up so did the rest of my head cold so that ws good.

bubbaray
03-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks. Yes, that makes sense -- we are "cold" central here. Ugh.