PDA

View Full Version : How often can small children eat seafood?

punkrockmama
03-19-2008, 05:56 AM
Salmon and shrimp, specifically?

We love salmon but I'm not sure how often I can give it to them? I'm talking a 1 1/2 year old and a 4 yr old. I want to start making some shrimp dishes, but I'm not sure if they can have that at all?

TIA! :)

Clarity
03-19-2008, 06:43 AM
Hmm...shrimp and shellfish are high allergen foods. I haven't given shrimp to my 20 month old yet. I think the recommendations are similar to pb...wait until they are 3 if there is a history of family allergies.
For salmon, I follow the same recommendations as I would for myself. Stick to wild caught as much as possible, and eat no more than twice a week. I think this is an FDA recommendation actually...couldn't find it quick...but I'm pretty sure that's where I got that rule.

caleymama
03-19-2008, 08:39 AM
This is a helpful link w/ a chart at the bottom:
http://healthychild.org/resources/checklist/safe_fish_checklist/

ThreeofUs
03-19-2008, 08:59 AM
Now that the Pacific salmon fishery has collapsed, you may find the Alaskan/Pacific salmon hard to find (and quite expensive when you do find it).

Black Pearl farmed salmon has the best/lowest PCB, mercury, etc. levels I've found. They do a lot of testing to maintain their status, so it might be worthwhile to look for them. Still pricey, though....

punkrockmama
03-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Oh crap! I had a total brain fart with the shrimp. I forgot that shellfish is an allergin. Thanks!

Thanks for the link and the info on the salmon. Great guys. :)