PDA

View Full Version : Clogged ducts always turn into mastitis?

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2008, 09:26 AM
I noticed a clog last night and I can not get rid of it. There are still a few tricks that I have left to try but shower, heat, massage and frequent nursing aren't getting rid of it. I also can't seem to find the exact problem area. It's on the underside and I would guess deep. I would love to avoid mastitis but I don't know how I am going to get this clog out!

I will be trying the pump and putting the bb in a bowl of water water while nursing on the other side in a bit here.

I wasn't sure if clogged ducts always turn into mastitis?

Beth

npace19147
03-19-2008, 09:45 AM
nak...no, not always if you can clear it out, but no other tips! gl!

nupe
03-19-2008, 09:49 AM
I've never had mastitis. But I have had plenty of plugged ducts.

Don't forget lecithin. I think it has worked wonders for me. DS2 is 5 months old and I've only had one plugged duct. I take 1 lecithin capsule a day. With DS1 I had several, and the frequency decreased once i started taking maintence lecithin.

I also think drop nursing can help, placing baby on ground and feeding from above, that way gravity can help too, and placing baby's chin/nose toward the plugged area.

Moneypenny
03-19-2008, 09:54 AM
Don't forget lecithin. I think it has worked wonders for me. DS2 is 5 months old and I've only had one plugged duct. I take 1 lecithin capsule a day. With DS1 I had several, and the frequency decreased once i started taking maintence lecithin.

I have to second the vote for lecithin. Once I started taking it I didn't have a single plugged duct. It really was amazing.

Before the lecithin, I lost count of how many plugged ducts I had, but they never turned into mastitis. When you are massaging, be sure you start really far out from where you think the plug is; I would often start at my ribs and then work my way into the sore area of my breast. I think sometimes if I just started right at the sore spot I was actually making it worse.

Good luck. They are no fun!!

WatchingThemGrow
03-19-2008, 10:23 AM
There was an thread about this a month or so ago. Search and see if you can find it.

I posted in that thread what an LC told me - hang the nipple in a bowl of really warm water on the countertop and let the direct heat and gravity work. Then, gently massage the area toward the nipple. HTH!

pastrygirl
03-19-2008, 11:54 AM
I take lecithin daily. Every time I stop, I get a plugged duct. I thought that by now I wouldn't need it anymore, but I still do. I've never had mastitis, thank goodness!

californiagirl
03-19-2008, 12:40 PM
No, clogged ducts don't always turn into mastitis, but they're still uncomfortable. Drink lots of liquids, avoid things that press on your chest, get the milk out regularly -- and take the lecithin because it is the best thing ever.

egoldber
03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
No. :) I had a recurring issue with plugged ducts on one side with Amy. I eventually correlated it to the GM tanks I was wearing. When I stopped using them they went away. I was able to wear the Target tanks with no problems though.

jbintz
03-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Not sure if this would help but I made sure I nursed frequently and after nursing I would hold a heating pad to the area for 10-15 min then pump while massaging to nipple and trying to get the breast as empty as possible.

Good Luck. Healthy vibes
Jana

pb&j
03-19-2008, 03:10 PM
No, I had several when I was BFing DS, and none developed into mastitis. A few took several days to work out, and were very tender. I did a lot of massage in a hot shower, and massage during nursing/pumping.

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
I am really glad to hear that there is hope that it can work out on it's own. I meant to pick up some lecithin today after reading this but I forgot. :( I'll have to go back later since you have all given it such high praise!

I got worried earlier b/c I started to feel achy and my temp was 100.4 but nothing materialized and I feel better now except the bb pain.

I had remembered the bowl of warm water trick from last month and tried it today. It felt good but it didn't get to it. It is very stubborn!

I hate mastitis. Not a big fan of these plugged ducts. I had figured out that it was my nursing camis that were the trouble but now that things are more regulated I have been chancing wearing them again. Guess that is still a bad idea.

Thank you for all the help! I will keep at it and hopefully it will be gone soon. I like being able to hold my ds w/o pain!

Beth

gatorsmom
03-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I get those stupid clogged ducts all the time. And they ache until you get them out!! Try taking some ibuprofen to help with the achiness. I've been told (and this works for me) to get in a hot, hot shower and start pressing at the rip cage and push downward toward the nipple. As you work your way down, press hard, especially the areas leading up to the clogged duct. Also, try to BF as much as you can and press hard while you are nursing. Try baby in different holds and directions. That helps too.

Ugh, good luck. I've always thought that if one of my children asks how much I love them I'd say, well, I endured surgery, labor with no painkillers, sleepless nights, clogged ducts, nonstop worrying, etc, etc, etc, for you. Is that enough? ;)

StantonHyde
03-19-2008, 05:43 PM
I got clogged ducts all the time--did not know about lecithin. One thing to check, though, is sometimes it is just the "hole" that is plugged. I got in the shower and really poked and prodded at the very top of the nipple -folding this way and that and saw what looked like a teensy piece of white cotton "fuzz" from a t shirt or bra. I picked it out with my fingernail and the milk shot across the shower and I just kept massaging it out. I am glad I took a bottle in with me--I didn't want that to go to waste!

bubbaray
03-19-2008, 05:49 PM
I am the Queen of Mastitis, unfortunately. Not every plugged duct turns into mastitis. But, in some people they often do. AND, I have heard from every dr that's treated me for mastitis, as well as 3 different LCs, that once you have mastitis in a particular duct, you are more likely to get it there again. That has been my experience. I have one particular duct where I have had all 5 bouts of mastitis. I never get plugged ducts there, I go straight to mastitis. So, IME, if you have had mastitis in the past and you currently have a plugged duct in the same place, be extra vigilant.

I use a magic bag prior to nursing and massage behind the plugged duct while nursing. I also try to put the baby's chin facing the plugged duct. Most cites say the opposite, so try changing the baby's mouth position.

Lastly, lecithin is your friend. I can't stop even for a day or I'm in trouble. If I take it, I'm fine. If I forget or run out, owwwwie. I get mine at Costco, their Kirkland brand. I take 2 per day every night. If I have a plugged duct, I take 3 at night and sometimes more in the morning.

It could definitely be your camis. I can't wear Bravado bras at all while nursing, every time I do, I get mastitis or a plugged duct.

BTW, you might want to play with your Ergo once you don't hurt!

jgriffin
03-19-2008, 09:23 PM
I had a recurring one that lasted weeks; it would sort of go away, then come back, on and off for a loooong time. Lecithin helped, as did lots of massaging in the shower and "drop nursing" (never heard that phrase, nupe, but that's exactly what it was like!) I never got mastitis, but I was in constant fear for a month that I would.

SnuggleBuggles
03-20-2008, 02:37 PM
It's still there. :( I have to get to the store for the lecithin! I thought I had it in the shower this mornng but nope. I just need to keep at it, I buess. Sigh.

Melissa- too funny about the Ergo. :) I knew I probably shouldn't wear him while this was going on but he rides in a Roundabout now and I didn't feel like pushing my stroller through Target (needed too much stuff). So, of course I had to carry ds and steer the cart one handed. And I could only carry him on my left b/c it hurt too much to let him touch the right. No fun!

Beth

bubbaray
03-20-2008, 02:43 PM
IME, there can be residual pain even after you unplug the duct. Honestly, get thee to a store and get some lecithin. It really helps!

Hope you feel better soon!