PDA

View Full Version : I hate the View.

kijip
03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
And I don't even watch it, yet still I hate it. Why? Because everyday my mother calls me and wants to talk about whatever current event issue they argued about that day. Some of these stories are things I care about, like the election. Some of them are things I don't care to discuss in the least, like Rosie arguing with Donald or the implications of Health Ledger's death. More than a few times now, I have learned of an event or story only because she saw it on the View and these are things I was doing just fine knowing nothing to very little about. She has a couple people she likes on the show and then literally parrots those points to me. Her sources? She heard it on the View and since they show both sides, it is balanced. Well then of course, it must be true. My mother is an intelligent, well read individual who can formulate her own opinions and has done so for decades. But now the View is her information leader, and by extension becoming the bane of my day.

JillSP
03-19-2008, 12:41 PM
I know your pain. My dad got the Rush Limbaugh chip implanted in his head a few years ago.

How do I know? Because last month he was telling me how Mike Huckabee wasn't conservative enough. My sarcastic response, "Dad, how can the man who believes in creationism not be conservative enough for you?"

I use to enjoy discussing politics/current events with my dad but now that he spends his day listening to conservative talk radio, all the fun has been sucked out. (And I don't even necessarily disagree with conservative views, it is the vile, petty talk that I object to because it doesn't add anything to an intelligent discourse on the topic).

I didn't mean to hijack your post. It is just when I read it I knew exactly what you are talking about when a person loses their ability to form their own opinions. After the Huckabee conversation, I pretty much decided that any intelligent conversation about the election with my dad is impossible and will avoid the subject at all costs).

Could you just stop answering the phone? Or maybe call your mom during The View so she can't watch it.

hellokitty
03-19-2008, 02:22 PM
I hate the view too, esp after the BF on the plane issue that BW was a total jerk and liar about. I rarely ever watched the show, but the only person I ever liked on that show was meridith and she was the only smart one that bailed ship before things got really bad. I am surprised the show is even still around. All the other hostesses are loud mouthed and annoying.

KBecks
03-19-2008, 02:40 PM
You should introduce her to American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, and Wheel of Fortune. :)

Or Rush. :)

kijip
03-19-2008, 02:52 PM
You should introduce her to American Idol, Dancing with the Stars, and Wheel of Fortune. :)

Or Rush. :)

Right now, for her if it is not the view it is all murder themed. CSI, L & O series A-ZZ, The Closer, Criminal Minds OR old movies. She has a DVR, so she can watch whatever she wants, whenever. Looking through her saved shows, you would think life was all murder.

The idea of my very, very hippie liberal mother listening to Rush Limbaugh is terribly odd.

KBecks
03-19-2008, 03:04 PM
The idea of my very, very hippie liberal mother listening to Rush Limbaugh is terribly odd.

Think of it as keeping her mentally sharp. She'd disagree with everything, but it's challenging to listen to different points of view and then sort through the ins and outs of each topic.

I think your phone calls would be more interesting. At least you would both be on the same page. :)

Seriously, almost anything is better than the View.

kijip
03-19-2008, 03:13 PM
Think of it as keeping her mentally sharp.

Ain't nothing sharp IME about talk radio, regardless of the politcal leanings. :) Maybe I'll give her some Milton Friedman and Thomas Sowell to read. That's sharp.

Honestly, I think Rush might give her a blood pressure issue and there's no need for any more health issues just now. :)

vludmilla
03-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Ain't nothing sharp IME about talk radio, regardless of the politcal leanings. :) Maybe I'll give her some Milton Friedman and Thomas Sowell to read. That's sharp.

Honestly, I think Rush might give her a blood pressure issue and there's no need for any more health issues just now. :)

Hmm. Well I'd agree that most of talk radio is pretty hard to listen to but some it has been quite good. Would you say that Al Franken's former show on Air America was dull? I would think anyone would be challenged to call it anything BUT quite sharp. His show was chock-full of intelligent, thoughtful, articulate individuals speaking on topics about which they were quite knowledgeable. There was very little unfounded opinion on that show.

One more thing, if you don't mind me asking...why would you recommend that your mother read Milton Friedman and Thomas Sowell?

-Victoria

kijip
03-19-2008, 07:48 PM
One more thing, if you don't mind me asking...why would you recommend that your mother read Milton Friedman and Thomas Sowell?

-Victoria

Because if she wants to consider other view points as suggested, at least those are sharp and well articulated. Maybe not agreeable to her (or to me) but interesting. I consider that considering all sides, whereas I see little to no value in talk radio.

I disliked a lot of Air America (they should revoke my Democrat card I guess!), though I loved Aaron McGruder and of course Al Franken. I think Air America failed because while many people agreed with the politics, those in my general political demographic tend to like their radio more along the lines of NPR with political, news, music, arts, community and quirky stories rolled into one rather than all political talking heads, all the time.

I have a strong dislike for trash talk radio in general, and was trying to be inclusive in that it can come from all sides. :)

SAHMIL
03-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Well.... let me ask you this... does your mom take the opinion of strangers over what you say? Or verify what you say against her friends?

I personally like the View. I 'm happy Rosie is off. I like it better with Whoopi and Sheri.

kijip
03-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Most of this stuff, I don't have an opinion on. For the stuff that I do, she and I are usually in agreement. The only thing we have not been in general agreement on recently was the brohhaha over Rev. Jerry Wright, Obama's minister in Chicago. (to her it was a big deal, to me it was a blown out of proportion distraction from real issues).

clc053103
03-25-2008, 02:01 PM
My MIL thinks Oprah is the authority on everything.

When I was pg, I wasn't handed a copy of the BBB- but rather, a sticky on which was written the baby items Oprah recommended- all of which were given as comps from the manufacturer for the studio audience.