PDA

View Full Version : Children's Place - Price Adjustment Policy

Piglet
03-19-2008, 03:46 PM
UPDATE:

I just got off the phone with the Regional Manager and was told that the stores were incorrect. The policy is as written on the receipt and there was a huge miscommunication in Alberta and BC. The Regional Manager apologized profusely for the bad experience I had and told me that she has personally been in touch with all the stores in the BC and Alberta to correct this problem. I also have her direct line if I ever have a negative experience in any of the stores. I am very happy with the outcome and the quick action by the RM!! I guess I have to go back and buy all the cute outfits I just returned...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

I wrote about this on Kid Wear a few months ago, but wanted a special head's up to the Canadians...

A few months ago I went to TCP in Southcentre (Calgary) and noticed that the PJs I bought had gone on sale. No problem, I had my receipt and it was within 2 weeks of purchase, so I went to get a price adjustment. The cashier rudely told me that I had to have the items with me in order to do a PA. I told her that both the back of the receipt and the policies that were written at the front of the store did not make any mention of bringing the items with me for the PA. She called the manager and the manager (rudely) told me that it was a new policy given from corporate and that they would now only do PAs for unwashed, unworn merchandise that was brought into the store. She told me this was because of "abuses" to the PA policy around Boxing Day (side note - it is not an ABUSE of a policy, it is USE of the policy as outlined). She then told me that "just this once" she would honour the PA. Gee... thanks!

When I got home I called the Customer Service number (1-877-752-2387) and was told that the store didn't handle the issue correctly and that there was no change to the PA policy. I left it at that, figuring it was a one-time mistake.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago... I went in again and bought a bunch of clothes for the kids. I made a point of asking about the PA policy and was told the same thing. I have to bring in the merchandise in an unworn, unwashed, etc, state. I again questioned the policy, but this time, the manager didn't even come to see me. She decided that yelling across the store would be better!? I bought the clothes and asked for the number for customer service (in case I was calling the US number and needed the Canadian number). She gave me a card with the same number. I called C/S and they again apologized for my experience in the store and this time told me that the District Manager would call me back. They also sent me some "15% off your next pruchase" coupons.

The District Manager just called me today (after waiting for 2 weeks). I explained the problem and she was worse than the store manager. She told me the same thing and then went on to say that it would be the policy right across Canada. She explained that the Regional Manager (for Canada) has decided to change the policy. I told her that the till tape and policies written at the till did not state the new policy and she made something up about how it can take a year to reprint everything and that for now they were educating their customers verbally. I was not impressed with this conversation because even she could not spell out the new policy. She told me that there had been abuses of the policy with people trying to do a PA 3 or 4 weeks after the purchase (yeah, but then they aren't following the policy as outlined on the till tape). I again asked about what happens if I bring my receipt within 2 weeks and she said that they would "prefer" that I bring the merchandise. What kind of policy is that? I also mentioned that it is one thing to have a policy like that for an adult store, but a kids store has a client base that has kids. It is no picnic to carry all the merchandise with me everytime I go to the mall - her answer was that I could always go home and get my merchandise once I saw that it was on sale! Yeah, I am going to drag my 3 kids with me to the mall and then home and then to the mall again? I don't think so!

Funny enough, I got off the phone with the DM and called C/S again and again was told that the policy has not changed and that goes for Canada too... I am waiting to hear back from C/S. I think this might be the end of the ride for me, since this seems bigger than a simple mix-up at the store level and I am assuming the only way to get this policy changed is if TCP changes something internally (between the US and Canadian branches).

So, what I am wondering is has anyone else had an experience like this in Canada since the new year? I can state with certainty that if this is the new policy at TCP, I will not be shopping there anymore. I hardly shop there as it is, but this attitude takes the cake. I much prefer dealing with professionals and will stick with stores that have clear policies and better management.

If I get anywhere with this, I will post back!

psophia17
03-19-2008, 05:58 PM
I just got off the phone with the local franchise in Richmond, BC.

The lady told me that the item could be washed and worn, but that they needed it so they could verify the PA on the size. It sounded like gobbledy-gook to me.

That's a really, really, really dumb policy. Got a formletter, so we can all start emailing someone?

psophia17
03-19-2008, 06:09 PM
I just wrote to them:

I am writing to confirm the price adjustment policy at The Children's Place in Canada. I found information on it online, and called my local store to confirm, because I couldn't believe it.

Apparently the new policy is that they would now only do PAs for unwashed, unworn merchandise that was brought into the store (more here: http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=289925). I just can't believe it. When I buy clothes for my children, I take them home, remove the tags, wash them, and put them on my kids. No one who has kids will ever get a price adjustment given the current policy. It's pretty offensive to your customer base, if you ask me.

In any case - when I called my local store, the lady I spoke with told me the policy had to do with the sizes on sale, which makes even less sense to me at all, since that information would be on my receipt, which should be the only required proof that I bought something.

I discovered over the holidays that Children's Place has the best fitting clothes for my four year old, and I'm really disappointed that should I ever notice I'm entitled to a price adjustment, I won't be able to get one because of a policy that makes absolutely no sense.

Will keep you posted...

bubbaray
03-19-2008, 06:12 PM
TCP is such a huge PITA to buy from, I just avoid them unless they have something the girls just HAVE to have. I don't think too much of their quality, either.

psophia17
03-19-2008, 06:32 PM
I like TCP because the pants fit DS1 - it's the only store I don't have to roll the legs up constantly.

But it's still a dumb policy...

MontrealMum
03-19-2008, 08:29 PM
I don't shop at TCP very often, but I'm very glad to know about this ridiculous "policy" just in case. Sounds like they need to get their act together on just exactly what that policy is before they start "educating the public". PITA in customer service = me going elsewhere...and lots of other consumers, I'm sure.

Piglet
03-19-2008, 10:57 PM
A weird update...

I decided I didn't need the hassle, so I took all the clothes I had bought to the store in the other nearby mall (Chinook) and when asked why I was returning the clothes, I told the clerk about how I disliked the new PA policy. She was genuinely surprised to hear this new policy and told me that it didn't make any sense and that her store had not changed their policy. Of course then I felt bad for taking her time to process the return (and wished that I had taken them to the original store to make a point).

So the policy is spotty at best, and dumb for sure!

Neatfreak
03-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Marina, I'm not sure if you were doing your initial shopping at the Southcentre TCP, but I always thought that they had the worst service of all the locations in Calgary ... Grrrr!

Piglet
03-20-2008, 12:53 AM
Yup, all my bad experiences were at Southcentre, which sucks since it is still my favourite nearby mall. I have a real fondness for SC - I have shopped there since forever and I even worked in their admin office for a few years, so I know it inside out. It's too bad their TCP is so unhelpful. I will stick with Chinook for kid clothes!

Neatfreak
03-20-2008, 03:39 AM
It was my fave as well, though we lived in b/w it and Chinook. I especially loved that there was a Lululemon ...

psophia17
03-21-2008, 03:14 PM
I had a response to my email yesterday. It's not much of one...

I think it's really weird that the policy at the mall you're talking about and at my mall, outside of Vancouver, seems to be the same, but isn't the same policy elsewhere. It seems fishy to me...

Thank you for contacting customer service about your concern.

We appreciate your feedback regarding your experience at our Canadian locations. We apologize for the disappointment you experienced. Our goal is to provide a positive experience when you shop with us and we are sorry if that was not the case with this visit. We treat all customer feedback as important and have forwarded your comments to the District and Regional Managers for further review.

Our price adjustment policy is to provide an adjustment with proof of purchase as long as it has been no longer than 14 days since original purchase. The merchandise has to be purchases at original price, unfortunately, we do not honor sale to sale price adjustments.

We sincerely hope we have answered your question. If we can be of further assistance please contact us at 1-877 PLACE USA or visit us at www.childrensplace.com.

Piglet
03-25-2008, 01:43 AM
I posted an update in the original message. All's well that ends well!

hipmaman
04-07-2008, 02:27 PM
I've not been around much lately so haven't posted. But I have stopped shopping at TCP after spending all my shopping trips in a yr with them. The price-adj policy that I was told sucked big time.

I had to bring all the items back and the same size/print must physically be available in the store for them to adj. the price. So a couple of times, I didnt have the items with me and didn't want the sizes to run out, I had to repurchase them and then return them with my original bill.

And of course the last time I was in to return EVERYTHING ($800 worth of clothings for 3 kids and nephew), the store manager was rude about it.

I figured I didn't want the clothes that badly and I didn't have the time to shop twice for the same item with newborn in tow. Forget TCP.

And I don't care if anyone would do me a favour and send this message to TCP for me :)

psophia17
04-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Good job Marina!!!

I'm really happy to hear this - the quality is so-so, but the pants fit DS1, so I do shop there...