PDA

View Full Version : Need help with natural induction techinque or boolean searching

american_mama
03-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Yesterday my nurse midwife offered me her standard advice to all patients to avoid going overdue. I have never heard of it and DH and I are both skeptical, saying show us the data. She recommends using condoms or withdrawal for 6 weeks before your due date, to avoid your cervix coming into contact with the prostaglandins in semen. She says that if your cervix has this regular (or in our case, semi-regular) exposure to the prostaglandins, it gets used to it and doesn't have much effect. But then you "shock" it by having sex the fun way for four days in a row around your due date, and the sudden dose of prostaglandins kickstarts labor.

Has anyone ever heard of this natural induction technique? I'd love to know if there is any data or logic to support it. I've heard of sex around your due date and that's what showed up when I googled (with somewhat spotty evidence, it appears), but never heard of the no contact for 6 weeks beforehand. I am dubious and unenthusiastic. DH is highly dubious and completely unenthusiastic.

I doubt we will follow this advice, but I am highly curious to know if it has any merit. Anyone want to chime in with some facts or critical thinking? What is the mechanism of action of prostaglandins or, put another way, is there reason to think that frequent contact would negate or enhance its effect? Anyone good at medical literature searches and can get the right search words? I didn't do so well googling: is it semen or seminal fluid, how to include the no contact element (it's not really abstaining from sex, after all), etc.

MontrealMum
03-19-2008, 04:57 PM
Google doesn't allow true Boolean searching and uses a default "and" between all search terms. If you want some tips specific to Google, click on "advanced search" and then "advanced search tips". You can limit your search to certain domains, like ".gov" or ".org" which might help you in finding more reputable *medical* info on natural induction. I will say that our prenatal instructor poo-pooed most ideas about natural induction, but that's not to say that there aren't any out there. Good luck :)

Rayray24
03-19-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't know about medical evidence but with dd me and dh used the pull out method for almost the whole preg. I was unaware at the time that sex was suppose to jump start labor, I just didn't want extra fluid I didn't need down there :ROTFLMAO: However about a week before I was due I started trying everything (but sex) I ate spicy food, walked, walked, and walked some more. Nothing, then the day before I was due we had sex, no pulling out. Almost 3 hrs later I woke up with contractions. I don't know if it was just time or if it had something to do with sex, but I am gonna try it again (if I get the chance) this time. I would say it would be worth trying, hope this helps.
~~Jennie~~:boogie:

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2008, 05:38 PM
I have never heard that.

My thought is that semen is not meant to induce labor. I consider it a cervical ripener, like evening primrose oil. Now, cervidil, prepidil and cytotec are prostaglandin drugs for labor induction and I don't know what their concentration is. Cervidil and prepidil don't have astounding odds of starting labor on their own. They just usually ripen the cervix so pitocin will be more effective. I am dubious of your mw's theory.

I don't really buy into any of the natural labor induction things out there. I spent quite a while researching them for my old labor board. I feel like there is some science behind some of the things...especially if you look really hard for a connection. :) I feel like when labor starts is so complex. I tend not to worry about going past 40 weeks with a healthy baby and pregnancy that is being monitored well. My CNMs were laid back till we were hitting 42 weeks.

Beth

lizajane
03-19-2008, 07:02 PM
mama, what ARE you worrying about?? you are NOT overdue. why doncha just cross that bridge when you come to it??? ;)

and just go on long walks and enjoy life with your two girls until #3 decides to come out.:)

american_mama
03-20-2008, 12:02 PM
>> mama, what ARE you worrying about?? you are NOT overdue. why doncha just cross that bridge when you come to it???

That is kind of my attitude too. I was 6 days over and 2 days over with my two girls and that was minor enough that everything was fine in my book. I'm fully prepared for something similar this time around. My midwife's standard advice is about the no contact thing, the evening primrose oil, and red rasberry leaf tea. I did EPO with DD1 and nothing with DD2, and all seemed fine. I don't think I need any of it, although I'm willing to do the EPO, and am not sure why the midwife recommends the whole shebang to everyone. Seems overdoing it to me.

I do concede that some of these things are best done in advance to avoid being overdue in the first place. But it still seems overdone and not too relevant to my situation.

Also, to Beth, I may have mischaracterized exactly what the midwife thinks all this stuff does. She may think the prostaglandin thing is about ripening the cervix rather than kickstarting true labor. She may not have a problem with a few days overdue, but just tries to give advice to avoid being very overdue. I'm not really sure. It was a rushed appointment and, sadly, we don't have the best rapport in the first place.

Melanie
03-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Interesting, I'd heard about it being a natural cervix ripener, but not too avoid it for 6 weeks. Also the woman having a nice O can help jumpstart labor. :)

Tondi G
03-20-2008, 09:09 PM
I think you go into labor when you are meant to and when your baby is ready. That said I had my OB pushing to induce me on my due date with #2 so I visited my acupuncturist. 2nd treatment 2 days before my due date I went home and found I was spotting. DS was born the following morning one day before my due date! My chiropractors wife sees the same acupuncturist and had a visit a couple of days before her due date and she delivered within a day I think as well!

I would worry about being overdue if in fact you are overdue. I hate condoms so dealing with them during the last little while you have to actually enjoy sex with your husband seems like a big bummer to me!!! I'd go ahead and continue to enjoy yourself while you can!

~Tondi

ThreeofUs
03-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Yes, I've heard of it. There are a few studies out there that support what your midwife says. Both OB's and midwives around here tell folks to try it all the time. After all, what risk is there? Too much stress reduction?

As PP's have said, prostaglandins cause the cervix to "ripen", or soften and prepare to open. Also, orgasms produce oxytocin, the hormone that causes contractions. If you want to test it, purely in the interests of science of course ;), you may want to pick a position that causes the most contact between prostaglandins and cervix.

As for the "kick start", it is very true that your body can get used to many things. A decent analogy can be made here to caffeine. Drink a cup of coffee every day, and after enough time you'll need two cups to get the same jolt you got when you first started drinking the one cup. Stop drinking coffee for a month or so, and that one cup will once again give you a jolt. I don't know what the time period would be for getting your body "unused" to a chemical like prostaglandin, but the principle is sound.

Gena
03-21-2008, 12:53 AM
I've heard of it, but not about avoiding it for weeks before.

When I was overdue with DS, my OB recommended we try "poor man's induction", as she called it (sex). Well, we were trying it a lot :) but no luck. DS was just not going to come out on his own. When I was a week overdue I was telling my co-workers that I was going to be an 80 year old woman with a 50 year old fetus. I was medically induced at 10 days past due.