PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin b6 and unisom for pg nausea?

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2008, 05:56 PM
Has anyone heard of that combo? Would b6 alone work? Thoughts?

CNM has given the ok for this, btw.

Beth

elektra
03-19-2008, 06:01 PM
That's exactly what my OB recommended for me for morning sickness. Not sure if it really worked but I did take both.

ETA: I meant my OB, as in Obstetrician, not my PB (peanut butter?) ;)

bubbaray
03-19-2008, 06:07 PM
Um, something you want to share?!

Yes, that combination is basically what the drug diclectin is. Diclectin is widely used in Canada and Europe for m/s and has been, without incident, for decades. There was one case in the US where a child with birth defects was born to a mom who used it (never causally linked to the drug, unfortunately sometimes it just happens) and bam, no longer available in the US.

ETA: http://diclectin.com/

SnuggleBuggles
03-19-2008, 07:04 PM
No, not for me!! :) I am alll done!

Thanks for the info, Melissa.

I'm glad you aren't taking advice from peanut butter, Elektra :)

Beth

Java
03-19-2008, 08:25 PM
That's exactly what my OB recommended for me for morning sickness. Not sure if it really worked but I did take both.

ETA: I meant my OB, as in Obstetrician, not my PB (peanut butter?) ;)

Elektra.... Can I guess your OB? Is it Linzey?

MommyAllison
03-19-2008, 11:07 PM
That's what my OB recommended when I was pregnant with DD, as well. He said that though they aren't labelled for pregnancy here, in Europe they are, and are very safe.

My current midwife recommends it as the first thing to try with bad m.s. too.

shilo
03-19-2008, 11:56 PM
i'm having all day nausea 24/7 with this one. when it gets really bad, i use those B-natal (vitamin B6) pops and lozenges and they do really help - doesn't make it go away, but does bring it back down to a much more tolerable level for me. you don't need a prescription for them. my ob gave me a couple sample packs and i just took that to the pharmacy and they ordered it for me. she (ob) also said i could take vit. B6 orally while waiting for those to come in at the pharmacy.

www.bnatal.com

lori

fauve01
03-20-2008, 12:21 AM
not what you asked, but great for nausea is Umeboshi Plums. they are super alkaline and "soak up acid" for lack of a better term. you can find then in health food stores or Japanese stores. the pickled ones work better than the pill form, imo.

http://www.thefoodcoach.co.uk/articles.asp?ATID=1&ArticleID=138

http://macrobiotics.co.uk/articles/umeboshi.htm

good luck.
anne

kimberley-k
03-20-2008, 05:54 AM
Yes, it worked wonders for me! My first pregnancy I heard of using Unisom but I was too afraid to try any drugs in case they could harm the baby. But then my Mom mentioned that Diclectin was the only thing that got her through her 1st pg and was disappointed when they took it off the market. And, half my family lives in Canada and it is widely used there, so I figured if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me! When I looked into it, I found that Unisom is just an antihistamine - not too scary as far as birth defects IMHO.

I tried B6 alone first, for a few days, but didn't notice any effect. I ended up taking 1/2 tablet of Unisom with it every morning until I got over the morning sickness at about 15 weeks.

Good luck!

-Kim

annex
03-20-2008, 01:55 PM
There's a good site run by a Canadian hospital that researches safety of medications during pregnancy (not something most organizations do of course.) It's called Motherisk at http://www.motherisk.org/ and US residents can also call their 800 number to talk to their nurses about medications and safety studies. Unisom (aka "doxylamine succinate" tabs - make sure to get those and NOT the sleep gels which have a different active ingredient) and B6 are ones they are pretty certain are completely safe to take.

I had hyperemesis gravidarum with my DD's pregnancy so was given stronger meds than Unisom/B6. Before TTC DS I was trying to figure out how to pre-emptively medicate so I wouldn't be as sick. I tried B6 alone at the higher doses recommended (50-150 mg/day) for morning sickness and it made me feel strange (restless muscle feelings, etc.) Other women also report that B6 can make them feel more nauseous, not less. So, I went with Unisom alone for nausea during the 1st few weeks of pregnancy with DS. Starting it early let me start small (a half pill at night) and then gradually up to the max of 3 full 25mg tabs per day. If you start gradually like that you build up a resistance to the sleepy side effects so that you hopefully won't be knocked out by the med when you need to take it often. I found it helped with nausea at night-time for sure, but I did end up relying more on stronger meds like Zofran during the day to keep me functional. YMMV may vary, of course.

-Anne

babyready
03-20-2008, 03:26 PM
I did the Unisom without the B6 and it was very helpful. It was the only way I could function most days. I researched it at the time and felt confident that it was safe.

HTH!

Staraglimmer
03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
That is exactly what my OBGYN told me to take......But it didn't work for me. I ended up with a prescription prenatal vitimin called Premesis and something called Ondansetron. This combination worked wonders. :) Hope you feel better soon!!!!

rlu
03-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Worked for me too.

I found sour jelly bellys helped with the car sickness I got while driving to work while pg. Only time I ever got car sick while driving was when pg. Wierd.

ShanaMama
03-23-2008, 08:37 PM
My midwives recommended it with my first pregnancy but it didn't help at all- just made me very tired. This time around I went straight for the Zofran- my wonder drug.