PDA

View Full Version : Portrait Innovations - I don't get it

Melarina
03-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Took DD to get her photo taken today - first time at Portrait Innovations. The manager said they would have to take 40 to 60 shots with 4 or 5 backgrounds and that we'd need to stay for an hour and a half. We were about 15 minutes late (I called ahead to let them know, although I do realize that by being late we basically forfeited our appointment.) I asked if they could work with us and just take a few quick pictures. I knew DD would probably be fine for one background and 5 to 10 shots. I said that was all I wanted, but of course we would pay the regular fee. They refused and said "that's not the way they take pictures" and that we would have to take all 40-60 shots and 4-5 different backgrounds. I don't get it - what would have been the problem with just letting us take only a few photos and pay the regular price?!? Even if we rescheduled and came back another day, we still would have to have that many photos. We left and went to JCPenney, where the photographer was absolutely wonderful and very accommodating, and we were in and out with great efficiency. Any ideas why they were so difficult to work with at PI? I know you have to spend more time there because they print the pictures at PI and I was ready for that, but was so surprised that they were mandating all these extra pictures and backgrounds. Plus the manager got really snippy with me about it. (To be fair, I guess I was snippy too, but after getting a 5 month old baby dressed and close to 30 min in the car to get there - blech.) I really wanted to like them, but just don't get it.

happy2bamom
03-19-2008, 07:58 PM
My guess is that they insist on taking all of those pictures because it increases the chance that you will spend more money. The more cute pictures, the more packages that you agree to buy = more profit for them. Although they offer the $9.99 deal for one pose, they don't expect you to buy just the one deal and I read somewhere that the average spent there per customer is around $100.

I'm just guessing on their rationale.

Melarina
03-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Ah-ha -- that makes sense. Thanks for shedding some light on this - I appreciate the perspective!

WatchingThemGrow
03-19-2008, 09:41 PM
I totally understand your frustration with getting DC all dressed up, being late, etc. We had the same thing happening last time, but we are seasoned PI fans. We went for DS's 2 mo. pictures and had a "plan" of how many different shots we were going to buy of him. We also wanted one good face shot of the 2 kids and one simple family shot. With our (at the time) rambunctious 20 mo. old participating, I knew we had to get just the ones we wanted, and no extra poses. The photographer we had followed to a T the "procedure" the company prescribes. I kept saying, "We don't want pics of DH and me. We don't want pics of DD by herself." It was frustrating.

I ended up making another appt. on a weekday, taking grandma as entertainment for DD, and working with another photographer to get the shots we wanted the way we wanted them. It was no fun trying to be that forceful, so I'm trying to find a way to tell them (maybe through the corporate office?) that we should be able to give the photographer a little direction. Kinda like you wanted a "mini-shoot" and we were going for a certain number of photos.

It is kinda weird because in the past, I've thought they were really family friendly. Lately, it seems more of a push to do a prescriptive session that's just a little too long for people with little kids.

Still, in my book, they are waaaay better than JCP, Target, PP, etc.

dolphilisa
03-19-2008, 11:19 PM
We just had round #3 of pictures taken at PI and had another great experience! (3 month, 8 month and 1 year) I have never had them push to take more pictures and more backgrounds. It's always been a laid back time and it's more like I direct them as to how many clothing changes I have for DS and if I want anybody else in the pictures. Also, there's never been a set fee. We always choose the one pose for the $9.99 special and then usually choose three other poses (3 sheets for each pose). They also give us the CD of all of the pictures that they shot, and the bonus 10x13 picture(s). For all of this, our total is around $85.00! I think that's a great price. I especially like the fact of being able to walk out the door that same day with our pictures.

Melarina
03-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks so much for these observations. It sounds like I should give PI another chance. Maybe I might call their corporate office to ask about if there is a way I could get a shorter session with a younger child - I just don't see her making it through that many shots and backgrounds. It was totally our fault for being late, I don't have an issue with that, it was really the "you must take these many shots" issue that was so wierd to me. Thanks again!

cheme
03-20-2008, 12:49 PM
We have gone there several times for pictures. DD is very uncooperative at taking pictures and PI has done great each time. I never tell them ahead of time that I want a shorter session, but when it gets difficult to get anymore I just tell them that we are done. I do tell them that she tends to be uncooperative (this is usually fairly obvious!) and ask them to do certain poses and backgrounds first to make sure we get them in. I would think if your dd isn't doing well at the end of the shoot, they aren't going to make you take the rest...of course I'm sure it all depends on the specific location. I agree that they would like to get in as many pictures as they can so that you are more likely to buy more.

ritacheetah
03-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I had a good experience with them. I thought the pictures were better and I like that they had a little more space to spread out, not to mention getting your pictures the same day. We also didn't have a sitting fee. We just went in with a number in our head that we wanted to spend. We got the $9.99 special and a few more poses. I liked them. Maybe you got a lemon for a manager.

nfowife
03-20-2008, 02:03 PM
I agree with the pp- I would just go and start your pic session, and when you feel your DD has had enough say that you're done. I've always done that and never had any problems. We did a family shoot there a few months ago and due to the very busy time and long wait my kids were only good for about 10 minutes of pics...and we only ended up buying the one good family shot. I was back last month getting DS's 1 year pics and when he started being uncooperative said we were done, and still got a bunch of good ones.

Melarina
03-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Thanks everyone - sounds like we should try again (although I doubt this particular manager ever wants to see my face again, I was so irritated with her yesterday :) I wondered how in the world they could mandae 40 to 60 shots if a young child had a meltdown - what would they do, keep taking pictures of a screaming baby? Good to know that others have had good experiences.

Melarina
03-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Whoops, meant "mandate" not "mandae" :)

tylersmama
03-20-2008, 05:16 PM
Wow, just the concept of "having" to do a certain number of poses/backgrounds would totally turn me off from going there. I mean seriously, whose photo session is it? You're the customer, so how dare they tell you that you "have" to do x number of things. Just my opinion, but I would refuse to patronize a business that had such a policy. Really, it's pretty child-unfriendly.

We've been going to JCP since DS was 3 months old and have been very happy with them. Some of the photographers are better than others, and I switched studios (to a less busy one) because I was tired of being kept waiting for appointments with an infant, but we now have a photographer that we LOVE. She's fantastic, great with DS, gets really cute photos. With our portrait club membership (which cost $10, I think) we get free sitting fees, and there are always coupons for $3.99 portrait sheets. The only time we've spent more than $50 or $60 was when we ordered our xmas cards through them last year. I highly recommend them!

lisams
03-21-2008, 01:29 AM
A friend was just telling me that she tried to ask for only a few shots at PI, but the photographer said they are required to take a certain amount of photos. So, it sounds like it's an issue with the "higher ups" and not the photographers themselves.

Melbel
03-21-2008, 02:33 AM
Our experiences at PI have all been positive. It sounds like you had a bad combination of an over zealous PI crew and a tense version of yourself due to running late (it happens to all of us). We have taken portraits of our children and family at JCP, PP and PI over the years. PI is by far our favorite based upon price, number of quality shots, punctuality and convenience (receiving prints same day). We have been to PI about four times now, and have never been required to take a set number of pictures or to use a set number of poses/backgrounds. To the contrary, we have normally picked the backgrounds that work best for our children (fair blondes) and that we just like the best. There is no sitting fee and the $9.99 portrait package contains a ton of pictures. So long as you exercise some restraint, you can get out of there with great pictures at a great price. :D