PDA

View Full Version : cribs

mindyd
03-19-2008, 07:49 PM
I am just wondering what everyone has done or is doing for cribs for their twins. We don't want to shell out a huge amount of money since I'm sure they will have to have bunk beds later on (our house isn't that big) but I want to make sure they are safe also. Anyone have any suggestions?

dsptwinmom
03-20-2008, 12:42 PM
We are looking into a Munire crib or a Stanley Young America crib. A couple of the Munire cribs are priced under $400 each now. Munire is making only the stationary cribs which is supposedly safer as there are less moving parts to break and very sturdy.
Stanley makes a crib just over $400 that has the drop rail and we are going tocheck that out. Most places will give the 10 percent discount on the second crib.
For under $400, there are a couple of cribs at Babies R Us that seem to be sturdy and have recived good reviews. I think one is the Martine Lifetime crib.

novmber
03-22-2008, 08:16 PM
we bought inexpensive Delta Luv Jenny Lind cribs that were rated as a best buy through Consumer Reports.

$119 at Babies-R-Us and I had a coupon for 15% off. The other I found on craig's list.

they are holding up fine.

sarahbrown29
03-24-2008, 03:57 PM
We had a very $$$ one from DD1 that one of the girls is using, and we bought a cheap-o from Wal-Mart (Simplicity something?) for ~$100 :) It also comes with a toddler-bed conversion kit, which was nice for DD1 to use while the twins were sharing a crib!

They are both full-size, though, and take up quite a bit of space! Our twins shared a crib for about 5 months before moving to separate beds.

HTH!
Sarah

Kindra178
03-25-2008, 10:20 AM
I don't think bunk beds are recommended until kids are older, like 6 or so. We have the Stanley crib, and it's very well made.

Oak
04-14-2008, 10:33 PM
I think you can find some really good bargains on Craigslist for cribs. You have to know the brands, etc., and you need to know what to look for, etc.. in terms of slats, how they are put together, height adjustment, and how the mattress fits, etc. I would imagine that just about any late model brand name crib would meet government standards. I would avoid a pine one and probably get a hard wood one. I would also read up on ideas for selecting cribs in various guides such as Baby Bargains, and maybe contact the company that made it to see if there was a problem, or recall, and to determine the year, etc...For my first baby, we bought a Alta Baby crib, new. For the twins we have purchased another crib with the same finish, and very similar, although a slightly different style. When the babies are small, we will probably get a crib separator and put them together in one crib. We might even set it up so that initially we have one crib in our room and another in the room that they will share. I would prefer this, as we were going to use the pack and play, but I think a crib will be more sturdy. The second crib I purchased was a Canalli and I like it more than our first crib. I also think it is better made than the Alta. Other things to consider would be the ease of opening the gate, noise made in doing so, etc.. Our second crib is very nice, and I believe as safe as our first bought two years ago. The first was $450, and the second one is $75 used. After carefully cleaning it is as good as new and all that remained was to buy a quality mattress. I would not use a second-hand mattress. I have also seen people selling a pair of matching cribs. With a little bit of luck and some careful shopping, you can get a bargain and save a lot of money doing so. That way you can put the money you save toward a Britax or other car seat, which I would buy new unless you know the history completely. You may also find what you are looking for if you contact a multiples group.

kusumat
04-15-2008, 07:00 PM
we bought inexpensive Delta Luv Jenny Lind cribs that were rated as a best buy through Consumer Reports.

$119 at Babies-R-Us and I had a coupon for 15% off. The other I found on craig's list.

they are holding up fine.

I think this crib is made in China.

LaCostaMom
04-18-2008, 11:54 PM
We bought Ragazzi cribs (the original ones made in Quebec) from another twins family off of Craigslist. They were originally $800 each - solid wood, sturdy and in pristine condition. We bought them for $500 total. Craigslist is a great source for bargains on some big-ticket items.