PDA

View Full Version : Making a Cloth Diaper "presentation" for Dr...

downwarddog
03-20-2008, 05:04 PM
I'm trying to put together a cloth diapering presentation/information packet for a family center in my area, with the hopes of also giving one to our pediatrician's office.

I'm sure someone out here has done the same -- any advice, tips, etc. anyone can give me?

Anyone want to donate any dipes to use as examples?

I'm really trying to expand the knowledge here in NH -- I know of only one other mom who CDs!

Thanks in advance,
Lenore

american_mama
03-20-2008, 10:12 PM
I have an intro to cloth diapering brochure I made for some presentations, which I can email you if you PM me your email address. It's two pages, designed to be copiped back to back and folded as a trifold brochure. Kinko's can do a great job photocopying if you send it as a digital file or bring it in on cd, and I always pick the lime green paper because it's attention-getting. The brochure has photos in it which will NOT copy very well if you print it and try to photocopy it from a paper copy, but will be great from a digital file.

Real Diaper Association on the web also has some good info. about making presentations, and some brochures (although mine is more detailed and up with current diapers).

I have given three presentations, I guess, to La Leche League and two other groups. There were always lots of questions that came up during the presentation which I was going to answer later on, but people are so curious about cloth that they can't put their curiousity on hold. It might be different if you are talking to a group that is less personally vested in cloth (i.e. if they might recommend it to clients rather than attempt it themselves). There are always a lot of basic washing questions. And people really want recommendations: "What would you use for a child who is XX?"

I bring a pretty large teddy bear (he wears a medium in CDs) with me to model the diapers. My daughter's baby dolls were all too small. I didn't want to spend much, so bought the bear from the stuffed animal bin at Salvation Army, so look there for the right sized doll or stuffed animal model.

I like experimenting with cloth and having a lot of different brands, but most people at the presentation aren't at all interested in that. I always spend too much time talking and showing the different kinds of diapers. Next time, I'll try to bring only one of each kind of diaper (prefolds, covers, fitteds, pockets, AIOs) and not over-talk this area.

Let us know how the talk goes.

tylersmama
03-20-2008, 10:21 PM
Great info, american_mama!

I just wanted to add that (if it's not already in am's brochure) I would try to put together a cost-comparison between CD's and cloth. I think a lot of people focus on the environmental impact and forget to sell the savings of using cloth (well, assuming you're not going nuts with the super expensive dipes!). Also, I would recommend just trying to simplify the process as much as possible. I know how intimidated I was about starting out with cloth on my own, and I had already been using a service for six months. There are so many options out there that it can be really confusing!

Good luck, and feel free to run it by us to get opinions!

daisymommy
03-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I have a packet that I put together for a presentation awhile back. If you send me your email address, I will send you the Word file. And for anyone else who wants it! just private message me with your addy.

downwarddog
04-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the responses (I thought I had replied, but I guess not!) -- I think all your points are great, especially the KISS method & the cost savings. Where I'm presenting it caters to a lot of families in need, where $$ is a priority.

I was hoping to have this all together this month, but it's not looking like it. Hopefully by May?!?!?!

Do you think that giving them some sort of list of where to go to start looking at dipes is reasonable? I'm also thinking that a 1 or 1pg/double-side info sheet would be handy for the pediatrician's office...

Any other ideas you guys think of in the meantime, feel free to just post:-)

Thanks again,
Lenore