PDA

View Full Version : What to do w/dog doo doo?

AngelaS
03-20-2008, 07:19 PM
When you pick up dog doo, and tie it up in a bag and throw the bag in the trash, it makes the whole garage where the garbage is stored STINK!

Exactly how am I supposed to dispose of dog poo?? I can't get one of those 'bury it in the ground' things because you can't use it in ground that freezes. Considering I live where I think the ground is frozen the majority of the year...that's a bummer.

ThreeofUs
03-20-2008, 07:42 PM
We use "Mutt Mitts", sold by Intelligent Products, which are biodegradable but really cut any odor.

We also leave the full bags in a large bush pot outside by the garage, right by the path back into the house, where our cold climate takes care any smell (at least from October to May).

lizajane
03-20-2008, 07:50 PM
could you have a can that you leave outside of the garage for stinky stuff? you could always put some baking soda in the poop bag to absorb the odor.

tylersmama
03-20-2008, 07:55 PM
I use the Mutt Mitts too. I toss the bags in the regular trash can in the garage. The only time I notice the smell is a quick whiff when I open the can to toss something else in.

wendmatt
03-20-2008, 08:55 PM
We have a pot outside the back garage door that all picked up poop goes into in it's tied up bags. Then on garbage day I put it all in the big black sack that goes out to the curb, it's way too stinky to leave in the garage garbage all week!

cmo
03-21-2008, 12:30 PM
A trick I discovered by accident is that if you can somehow let the poop dry out, it will not be nearly so stinky! If there is an out-of-the way place where you can place your bag for a few hours, (untied, so the air can get to it), or leave the poop where it is (this would only work if the poop was in your yard!), then it will dry and be much easier to keep in the trash can.

Ah, the delights of dog ownership! (But they're worth it :-))

candybomiller
03-21-2008, 05:05 PM
We have a separate outside trash can just for dog doo.

Melanie
03-21-2008, 05:54 PM
hmm, as a kid we had a really big yard so we'd just bury it.

catpagmo
03-21-2008, 07:18 PM
My DH does dog-doo duty. He puts all the poo in a separate bin outside of the garage, on the side of the house. It takes care of the smell. It got way too stinky in the garage!

Clarity
03-21-2008, 07:25 PM
:yeahthat:

bnme
03-21-2008, 09:17 PM
We have a small shed (more of a closet really) outside our garage. There is a pail in there with a garbage bag that we scoop the poop into. Then the one bag gets dumped weekly. The smell in contained to that shed.

But we don't keep our any of our garbage pails in the garage. Are we the only ones? They are just kept on our driveway.

jessicallyn
03-22-2008, 12:17 PM
We don't have our dog anymore (RIP) but we used to throw bags of poop into a Diaper Genie that we kept outside by the regular garbage cans. It was the older kind so we had to keep it under an overhang, but I think the Genie II, with its bigger solid lid, could go anywhere. Also, if you bought something like the Diaper Dekor, you would be able to re-use shopping bags.
Either way, you just empty the diaper pail contents into the regular trash the morning of trash day. And our dog was big - Doberman, so we had to come up with a disposal solution.

It's also a good way to get some extra use out of a Diaper Genie that's gone too stinky for indoor use - you know, when no amount of lemons, bleach or cleaner will de-odorize the plastic. Outside, it will be fine.

Good luck